Lost River Peak

Lost River Peak

June 3rd, 2010, 2:17 pm #1

Just wondering if anyone knows what the snow conditions are like in the Lost Rivers. I was planning to climb Lost River Peak this weekend via the super gully but don't want to be playing around with avalanches.

Teak
Teak

June 3rd, 2010, 11:36 pm #2

Yes, I was also wondering about the Super Gully this weekend.

June 15th, 2010, 7:29 pm #3

Just wondering if anyone knows what the snow conditions are like in the Lost Rivers. I was planning to climb Lost River Peak this weekend via the super gully but don't want to be playing around with avalanches.
I'll we with Rob on Lost River this weekend. Anyone know what current conditions are in the Super Gully?

June 17th, 2010, 1:23 pm #4

A friend sent me this email:

I just got back from the LRs and there is a ton of snow remaining.
Creeks weren't flowing hard or fast so the flush is yet to come. NF
of Borah looked like mid-January. In fact, there was fresh snow on
everything above about 11k ft. Northern aspects were sliding while we
were there (or slid in the past week) with slabs to the ground on
what appeared to be an older graupel layer of ice beads. Awesome. The
NF of Borah has not released it's load yet...spooky. Big cornices on
all the north and east ridge lines.

June 17th, 2010, 3:50 pm #5

Wow! That IS a lot of snow left. It will be a Peter North sized load when it releases!

Wes
Wes

June 17th, 2010, 6:25 pm #6

Shot this morning, but is suspect they'll be back to bony after tomorrow's expected heat wave.

June 17th, 2010, 7:07 pm #7

A friend sent me this email:

I just got back from the LRs and there is a ton of snow remaining.
Creeks weren't flowing hard or fast so the flush is yet to come. NF
of Borah looked like mid-January. In fact, there was fresh snow on
everything above about 11k ft. Northern aspects were sliding while we
were there (or slid in the past week) with slabs to the ground on
what appeared to be an older graupel layer of ice beads. Awesome. The
NF of Borah has not released it's load yet...spooky. Big cornices on
all the north and east ridge lines.

So would this weekend not be the best time to do Lost River? That email made it sound a bit tricky to get around in the LRR.

Kevin coble
Kevin coble

June 17th, 2010, 7:35 pm #8

Yesterday's snow should melt/consolidate by the weekend based on the weather expected. This weekend should be fine on Super-Gully if you're off before it softens too much. Other aspects may be loaded more, or be melting slower, but Super Gully probably will only be doable as a snow climb for a couple more weeks if the weather stays warm.

June 17th, 2010, 7:37 pm #9

I'm starting to think I don't want to be in the Super Gully in the conditions described above. Would a trip into the White Knobs be a good plan B or will there still be access issues like snowy roads? Also I was thinking White Cap might make a good plan B. Any thoughts/suggestions?

June 17th, 2010, 7:40 pm #10

Yesterday's snow should melt/consolidate by the weekend based on the weather expected. This weekend should be fine on Super-Gully if you're off before it softens too much. Other aspects may be loaded more, or be melting slower, but Super Gully probably will only be doable as a snow climb for a couple more weeks if the weather stays warm.
Good! I'd like to start finishing my 12ers early. I'm going to still plan on Lost River but have a good plan B that's close by. (Disregard the first sentence of my post below...)

Confirmation of reply: