Lime Mountain campout

Lime Mountain campout

pat
pat

August 1st, 2010, 5:10 am #1

Last Saturday John, George and I began our hike at 4:30 pm and camped at the summit of Lime Mountain. Lime is the only White Knob 11'er with flowers at the top. The phlox provided a soft natural mattress, albeit a bit lumpy. The view was great. We did a loop from the west side including the five 11'ers (Shelly, Redbird, Lime, Cabin, and Cabin-North (11,163)). Saw many of your names on the registers. A good time was had by all.

I saw Steve W. today and promised to put some pictures on the web. Enjoy.

George with Shelly Mountain in the background.

Eating after sunset with the moon rising over Shelly and Redbird. (Geo photo)

Home sweet home.

More flowers on the summit of Lime Mountain.

Cabin Mountain-false summit.

August 1st, 2010, 2:28 pm #2

Thanks Pat, good to see you yesterday. Looks like a great trip. I will have to hit it.

August 1st, 2010, 10:18 pm #3

Last Saturday John, George and I began our hike at 4:30 pm and camped at the summit of Lime Mountain. Lime is the only White Knob 11'er with flowers at the top. The phlox provided a soft natural mattress, albeit a bit lumpy. The view was great. We did a loop from the west side including the five 11'ers (Shelly, Redbird, Lime, Cabin, and Cabin-North (11,163)). Saw many of your names on the registers. A good time was had by all.

Home sweet home.

That's a cool area! I was there in June and just got around to making the page for Lime today. I'll be doing the page for Cabin soon too.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

pat
pat

August 1st, 2010, 10:47 pm #4

The summit plateau is currently very green. That's in stark contrast to the other rocky summits. Perhaps that's why its called Lime Mountain.

August 1st, 2010, 11:55 pm #5

That is a good guess! I haven't been able to find out why it's called Lime Mountain. Perhaps Rick B. knows....

michael
michael

August 2nd, 2010, 12:44 am #6

The summit plateau is currently very green. That's in stark contrast to the other rocky summits. Perhaps that's why its called Lime Mountain.
I was thinking the same thing when I was up there a couple of weeks ago. There is more alpine tundra on that peak that the vast majority of Idaho peaks.

August 2nd, 2010, 1:51 am #7

Here's a photo of your 11'er line, looking across Copper Basin. Shelly on right.

Chuck and I used to have a standing joke about there being no limestone on Lime and no cabin on Cabin. Your suggestion of lime color sounds reasonable. I'll buy it.

August 2nd, 2010, 4:20 pm #8

Home sweet home.

I just saw that one of my Lime Mountain pictures is currently photo of the day on SP! The only other time that's happened to me was with a shot I took of redbird on the same trip.

http://www.summitpost.org/image/644135/ ... ntain.html

Confirmation of reply: