LA Times article on missing summit registers

LA Times article on missing summit registers

splattski
splattski

July 3rd, 2012, 11:09 pm #1

SpiderLegs
SpiderLegs

July 4th, 2012, 1:35 pm #2

Was just up on Grays Peak two weeks ago and the summit register there was missing as well.

Russ
Russ

July 5th, 2012, 4:58 pm #3

Read the comments below the LA Time article. Might be a clue to what's going on.

Dan
Dan

July 5th, 2012, 5:24 pm #4

That sounds like a California issue though... not sure it explains why our registers are going missing. I think ours are going missing because of some egotistical *&%^ that is forcing their ideals onto us.
Last edited by idahosummits on July 5th, 2012, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 6th, 2012, 1:56 pm #5

I guess the other side may think that summit registers are nothing more than trash left behind by egotistical *$%^. Summit registers are in direct conflict with the Leave No Trace philosophy. So maybe the people removing the registers are just helping keep our mountain tops clean.

dave bingham
dave bingham

July 6th, 2012, 2:17 pm #6

This is sad. I've thought perhaps someone is collecting the registers and making a more durable record?? - then returning the originals? Not likely.

Summit registers are not trash that needs to be cleaned up!

An international sort
An international sort

July 6th, 2012, 2:44 pm #7

Summit registers are ugly trash - a monument to your silly ego. Why can't americans just enjoy nature without spoiling it?

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 6th, 2012, 2:54 pm #8

I guess the other side may think that summit registers are nothing more than trash left behind by egotistical *$%^. Summit registers are in direct conflict with the Leave No Trace philosophy. So maybe the people removing the registers are just helping keep our mountain tops clean.
Better start crowbarring benchmarks, packing out wooden transits, deconstructing cabins, scattering mine tailings, sawing up bridges and deadfall crossings, blowing up radio towers, filling up human and animal trails with brush, uprooting fencelines, scattering fire rings, and sandblasting pictograms. I'm guessing you'll be too busy to remain worked up about small, often non-visible glass jars under rock piles. Or maybe not......

splattski
splattski

July 6th, 2012, 3:26 pm #9

Summit registers are ugly trash - a monument to your silly ego. Why can't americans just enjoy nature without spoiling it?
I suppose this might be a troll, but I guess I'm gong to bite. Comparing american trash to others, this is the highpoint of Germany:

July 6th, 2012, 3:38 pm #10

Actually taking historic summit registers is in direct conflict with the Leave No trace principle of "Leave What You Find." If we're going to keep things clean why don't we go removing the "trash" found in other sites like arrowheads, ghost town artifacts, and all those silly corn cobs, sandals, and pottery shards found in cliff dwellings. Gosh those people were dirty!

Confirmation of reply: