July 14th Climb/ 2 options

July 14th Climb/ 2 options

July 6th, 2012, 9:00 pm #1

I would like to do either Castle, one long-xyz day, or Old Hyndman.
Anyone interested?

Thanks
DL

Mike F.
Mike F.

July 8th, 2012, 5:51 pm #2

I'd be up for it! castle has been on my list for a while.

July 9th, 2012, 2:43 am #3

Day trip to Old Hyndman. Bike in the first part.
Meet out by the MCD's 5:30 AM, head to trailhead.
Bike to junction. Climb O.H.
Return to boise that night.
POST if interested. I can haul 4 bikes and people.

July 9th, 2012, 3:04 am #4

I'd be up for it! castle has been on my list for a while.
I might also do Castle, if not another 12er. Please keep me in the loop.

July 10th, 2012, 9:20 pm #5

I would like to do either Castle, one long-xyz day, or Old Hyndman.
Anyone interested?

Thanks
DL
James (The famous: Spiderlegs) and I (not so famous: doug) plan on assaulting Old Hyndman this Sat.

PLAN A: The only plan right now.
Leave 5:30 AM from MC Donalds on Federal Way near Micron.
I can take a few people and bikes.
Drive to T.H. ride, climb, celebrate and head home.

If you are interested I need to know so I can plan. If noone else goes along, than my wife and 3 dogs will ride along and hang out near the trailhead and do a little hike.

So post or call me if you are serious.
doug
941-8000

Mike F.
Mike F.

July 10th, 2012, 9:33 pm #6

I may be heading up Big Basin for Big Basin Peak on the Old Hyndman Saddle. but would be driving over from Idaho Falls on Friday Night. Depends if plas solidify for McGown Peak or not.

July 10th, 2012, 11:03 pm #7

James (The famous: Spiderlegs) and I (not so famous: doug) plan on assaulting Old Hyndman this Sat.

If you are interested I need to know so I can plan. If noone else goes along, than my wife and 3 dogs will ride along and hang out near the trailhead and do a little hike.

doug
941-8000
Castle on Aug. 5th is a possibility at this time point

SpiderLegs
SpiderLegs

July 13th, 2012, 4:05 pm #8

doug
941-8000
Looks like rain tomorrow - so we are moving everything back a day. Meet up at 5:30AM at the McDonalds on Federal Way.

SpiderLegs
SpiderLegs

July 16th, 2012, 2:45 pm #9

To save face, let's just say it was a nice day to be in the mountains and do a reconnaissance trip. Day started off with encountering a fallen tree that was blocking the access road to the trailhead. Tied the tree to the bumper of our vehicle and was able to get the tree off the road. But at a cost of precious time.

Got to the trailhead and did not get off until almost 10:00AM. Used bikes to get through the first section of trail and stashed the bikes. Should have just jumped right into the first stream crossing, but was hoping to avoid wet feet and went looking for alternate stream crossing further up the mountain. This just led to horrible bushwacking and another loss of time. But found the road up to Big Basin and started cruising up.

Made it up to Big Basin and realized that we went too far and should have turned off earlier. At this point it was after 1:00PM and could not quite figure out what the weather was doing. Decided to be cautious and call it a day. Wind was picking up and clouds were looking ominous.

Used the trip back to figure out where we went wrong and do reconnaissance for the next trip (which will be soon). Funny how the trail just unfolded for us on the way back down and the obvious routes were found.

Confirmation of reply: