Jones Creek Road

Jones Creek Road

Dan
Dan

January 3rd, 2012, 6:34 pm #1

How rough is the road to the head of Jones Creek? 2-wheel drive? High clearance? 4-wheel drive? My Traverse is AWD with plenty of power, just not great clearance.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 3rd, 2012, 7:03 pm #2

Jones Creek Road in the LRR?

Dan
Dan

January 3rd, 2012, 9:09 pm #3

Yes

Wes
Wes

January 3rd, 2012, 9:32 pm #4

Dan,
I've seen a VW van and a Subi at the end of the road during summer, I wouldn't be shocked to see one in there now. As of last night I'm still driving all the way to the upper launch site on king mountain. there isn't much snow on the summit let alone the road.

Dan
Dan

January 3rd, 2012, 9:43 pm #5

Thanks Wes, exactly the beta I needed. We are heading for Williams Peak (the peak just south of Church/Donaldson).

Would you hike up Jones Creek or the North Fork of Jones Creek? We did the North Fork when we did Church/Donaldson and it sucked. I hear mixed information on the main Jones Creek... some say it is full of brush, others say there is a trail.

splattski
splattski

January 3rd, 2012, 10:07 pm #6

Dan-
I think you are asking about the same way I went when I did Church. I don't remember much of a trail, but it's been 10 years. I also don't remember it being any more remarkable than your standard LRR access.
If I understand correctly, this TR shows some photos that (partially) show your climb (after you scroll past the Pioneers):
http://www.splattski.com/2002/brians_day_off/index.html

Dan
Dan

January 3rd, 2012, 10:13 pm #7

I did the North Fork of Jones too when I did Church/Donaldson... I remember it sucking.

The main Jones Creek is rumored to have a trail on the left side of the creek.

Michael
Michael

January 4th, 2012, 4:09 am #8

You know, when I climbed church in 2010 I found a pretty good trail in the north fork. I missed it on the way up but was able to follow it all the way down the canyon. Sorry I don't remember enough to tell you how to fing the trail but it was very good. Matt climbed it via the same route that day and he might have a better recollection of the trail if he found it.

January 4th, 2012, 5:42 am #9

I remember that the trail was pretty clear in most places. It's a small canyon too so it's not too hard to find just by going up the bottom of the canyon. The thing I remember the most was that there was running water in the Canyon.

The road was also really easy so no worries there.

Confirmation of reply: