Hyndman (Old and Standard) Conditions?

Hyndman (Old and Standard) Conditions?

April 10th, 2012, 3:05 pm #1

Hi,

Some friends and I were thinking of skinning in and skiing Hyndman this weekend. We were considering tagging Old Hyndman as well. The thought is to climb the 3rd class route on the east side of Old Hyndman, rap off the summit to the west, climb Hyndman, and then ski down.

Some questions that I have for anyone who has been back there recently:

1) Any current info on snow conditions up there? This will be my first time into the Pioneers, and the only info I'm currently aware of is what is on the Sun Valley avy report.
2) Finding the rap anchor on Old Hyndman: Has anyone done this in winter? Is it likely to be buried in snow? What does the anchor consist of (pins, slung boulder, etc)?
3) Any other useful info?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Cory

April 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm #2

I was on Johnstone Peak yesterday and the snow was way to soft and wet, even early in the day. I was on snow shoes and still sinking in almost waist deep sometimes. Saw a few small point release slides on south facing slopes probably steeper then 50*. I didn't notice any real insatiability, just mostly wet slide concern down low. There were areas with a crust about 2" thick and underneath that was pretty loose snow. I don't think it has been freezing at night... The snow level is about 7,700 on south facing slopes. Above 8,500 the snow was pretty firm.

As far as the rap anchors on Old Hyndman goes, I got nothing for you. You might want to check the Summit Post page, but I haven't seen anything and as far as I know there are no fixed anchors. Probably just plan on making your own...

Good Luck! Tom

Confirmation of reply: