How warm of sleeping bag do you usually use in the Sawtooths?

How warm of sleeping bag do you usually use in the Sawtooths?

anonymous
anonymous

June 6th, 2010, 8:10 pm #1

I'm considering getting a new sleeping bag, mostly for summer use in the sawtooths, and was curious as to what everyone else used. My current one is so old that I can't even remember what it was rated down to. Anyway, just trying to get an idea. Thanks.

June 6th, 2010, 8:52 pm #2

I use a 20 degree bag for everything I do in the summer. It has been sufficient everywhere I've been.

June 6th, 2010, 9:02 pm #3

I'm considering getting a new sleeping bag, mostly for summer use in the sawtooths, and was curious as to what everyone else used. My current one is so old that I can't even remember what it was rated down to. Anyway, just trying to get an idea. Thanks.
I have the luxury of owning several bags, so for Idaho summer use a true summer bag. It is rated to 35°.
As long as I don't sleep in Stanley or elsewhere along the Salmon river, where it can be very cold, this bag works fine for me. I've used it on trips in June through October. I usually have a puffy jacket or something I can toss on top if I miscalculated.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 6th, 2010, 11:15 pm #4

I use a 20 degree down bag for the summer and a -20 degree down bag for the winter. Im also a cold sleeper so I typically need a bag rated about 10 degrees colder than what Im expecting to encounter for temps.

June 6th, 2010, 11:20 pm #5

That last post was the skinny little Drunkcaballo....just as an FYI...

Smoove910
Smoove910

June 6th, 2010, 11:59 pm #6

I use a 35 degree. Big Agnes Horsethief. Works great for me.

June 7th, 2010, 12:22 am #7

I use a 30 degree synthetic bag. I also have used a sleeping quilt (ala Ray Jardine) that I made myself with great success in the Sawtooths. It is only about 1 pound and is very comfortable to sleep in. It's great to cut down on the volume and weight of a full-on mummy if you are packing climbing gear.

Dan
Dan

June 7th, 2010, 1:32 am #8

I use a 0 degree bag in the summer and winter. I am a cold sleeper.

June 15th, 2010, 7:50 pm #9

15° Mtn Hardwear something or other, but I am too warm once in awhile and poke my feet out to keep the skeeters fed. I sleep cold, but not as cold as my wife. She slept in my Sierra Designs -20° in Canyonlands last month.

Confirmation of reply: