Goat Lake to Sawtooth Lake

Goat Lake to Sawtooth Lake

June 29th, 2011, 1:09 pm #1

Is it possible to go from the Thompson/Williams saddle area into the drainage below Sawtooth and pick up the trail that goes up to Sawtooth?
Thanks
Paul

Smoove910
Smoove910

June 29th, 2011, 2:32 pm #2

So I'm guessing you would access the Williams/Thompson saddle from Fishhook Creek? If so, you can go North from the saddle and drop down passed Lake 9088 and 8865 to Goat Lake. From Goat Lake you can access the Alpine Way trail which will link up with the Iron Creek trail. That can get you to Sawtooth Lake.

You may want to wait a little while the the actual 'trail' to show up from the snowpack.

Hope this helps...

splattski
splattski

June 29th, 2011, 4:20 pm #3

Is it possible to go from the Thompson/Williams saddle area into the drainage below Sawtooth and pick up the trail that goes up to Sawtooth?
Thanks
Paul
I have not done this, but after looking at my photos and topos, I think it might be possible to go over the saddle south of Merritt and drop into the the north fork of Baron Creek. Once there, it would be easy to get to Sawtooth Lake.
You can easily walk down-valley from the Williams/Thompson saddle to get to the base of the climb to Merrit's south saddle.

As Smoove indicated, you'd be in for some snow climbing right now. And it's pretty steep terrain getting to that saddle. Here's a pic, showing the two summits of Merritt in the center, with said saddle just to their left:

dave bingham
dave bingham

June 29th, 2011, 11:38 pm #4

We have gone xc from Sawtooth lake to the Williams / Thompson saddle via a "pass" west of Merrit Pk. This is super cool country but there is some scrambling / routefinding involved and my guess is it would be extra challenging right now with significant snow. The other options involve dropping waay down and around via Goat lake,etc.

Idpeakgirl
Idpeakgirl

July 1st, 2011, 3:18 am #5

Thanks
Paul
I have camped at lake 8930 just SE of Baron Peak, then gone over one of the three snowy saddles adjacent to Baron Peak, hit lake 8379 (beautiful), then bushwacked down to the trail to camp up by Sawtooth lake another night. The Baron saddle was tricky, but do-able. Starting point was Redfish Lake trail.

Rob R
Rob R

July 1st, 2011, 5:51 am #6

Did you do that hike this year?

Idpeakgirl
Idpeakgirl

July 1st, 2011, 12:50 pm #7

No, a few years back in July, after a dry winter!

Confirmation of reply: