Freeze/thaw cycle in the Lost River Range?

Freeze/thaw cycle in the Lost River Range?

April 10th, 2012, 2:36 am #1

Has anybody been over there recently who can shed light on the current situation? I climbed Lost River peak at the beginning of last June and there was still 3 feet of snow in the Super Gully, but obviously this year is much different. I just don't want to go over there and have the snow be mush at 4am because it hasn't been beaten down and hardened enough by the sun yet. I was thinking of doing Leatherman or Breitenbach soon. Any info anyone has is much appreciated.

April 10th, 2012, 4:24 am #2

Wes is the local expert and can give you the best beta about conditions. I was in there two weeks ago and the snow was patchy. There was a crust on wind loaded slabs about 3 inches below the surface. If your skiing, you'll be fine and have a great time, but if your hiking, prepare for post holing. The earlier in the day the better because it will set up like styrophome.
All this is suspect because things probably have changed since I was there. Listen to Wes.
Kevin

Steve M
Steve M

April 11th, 2012, 1:18 am #3

Has anybody been over there recently who can shed light on the current situation? I climbed Lost River peak at the beginning of last June and there was still 3 feet of snow in the Super Gully, but obviously this year is much different. I just don't want to go over there and have the snow be mush at 4am because it hasn't been beaten down and hardened enough by the sun yet. I was thinking of doing Leatherman or Breitenbach soon. Any info anyone has is much appreciated.
We climbed Lost River Mountain up the super gully and there was not much depth to the snow. There wasn't more than a few spots where I couldn't sink my axe down to the rock. There was a slight crust to the snow up high and some old slide activity down lower where it had warmed up more. There were still some large cornices on the summit ridge. It was so cold that we rarely broke through the crust but unless it snows more, you shouldn't posthole too deep hiking.

April 17th, 2012, 4:11 am #4

While looking for treasures on the East side of the Range we discovered a nice treat.
Chad and I tried to go into the Upper Pahsimeroi three weeks ago, not sure if there was so much snow we would need a sled, but maybe there is too little snow to use the sled on.

Turns out there wasn't enough snow to sled, and too much to drive on.

When it came to getting down to Mohogany Creek there was a snow drift that covered the whole road. What do you do? Plow the road, by hand! Yea this drift was 4 feet deep by 30 yards long.

Saturday we drove with in 30 minute walk of the camp site, and woke up to 15 degrees.

This is the camp, still under 3 feet of snow. Its nice to walk on in the morning because its styrophome. By afternoon its perfect for corn skiing.

Note Leatherman on the right, and its neighbor 11,909 on the left. Again, if I was into skiing, I'd be making tracks for these peaks ASAP. For you Ice Climbers, look closely on the lower left ridge and you'll see a small tine line.

Just incase you couldn't see it.

Great route. Two pitches. Bottom one went at WI 4- and was a full rope stretcher at 60 meters. The top pitch was a low sloper and was maybe a WI 2, but it did have a 25 foot hanging curtain at the top. It was WI 3. Good times until we had to hike out. Forgor the snow shoes and post holed the whole way out (4 miles worth.)

Is this Idaho or White Cap? Either way, Upper Pahsimeroi is open for business. We didn't see much other ice yet. Maybe next month.

April 17th, 2012, 2:20 pm #5

sweet! It wouldn't be ice climbing without postholing and a brutal approach. Think a 2wd has a chance to make it near there?

April 17th, 2012, 4:27 pm #6

Its kind of a wild place back in there. The climb out of Mohogany creek is quite steep. I once had a 4WD volkswagon van that did great getting into the deepest parts of the Pahsimeroi. It got me back into the East side of Breightenbach. I didn't have a partner, but I took a ton of Recon photos for Dean. Sadly I don't own a rig that can get back in there.
Reminds me of...a Red Neck personal add I saw once.
"SWM seaking SWF, must enjoy fishing, camping, and skillit cooking.
Hygine a plus. Knowledge of belay basics and owns a 4x4 is a must.
Please send picture of 4x4"

I spotted this back there. Hmmm Gets me thinking if its worth going and taking a look.
Kevin

April 17th, 2012, 4:40 pm #7

sweet! It wouldn't be ice climbing without postholing and a brutal approach. Think a 2wd has a chance to make it near there?
My general rules for an east side approach are as follows:

2wd with reasonable clearance can make it to Mahogany Creek (assuming the road is dry and snow-free).

4wd with not real high clearance can make it to where the roads up the West and East Forks split. Although the climb out of Mahogany Creek will be a good test of your driving skills if your clearance is on the low end.

4wd with real high clearance is needed to go beyond the split in either direction.

Parking at Mahogany Creek or the split and biking from there is not a bad option. And it can be faster than driving. All depends on how much gear you have.

Now I've been known to break those rules. I once took my 2wd Toyota Matrix to the split. While it was fun driving for me, I swore I'd never put her through that again.

Jim

splattski
splattski

April 17th, 2012, 5:15 pm #8

While looking for treasures on the East side of the Range we discovered a nice treat.
Chad and I tried to go into the Upper Pahsimeroi three weeks ago, not sure if there was so much snow we would need a sled, but maybe there is too little snow to use the sled on.

When it came to getting down to Mohogany Creek there was a snow drift that covered the whole road. What do you do? Plow the road, by hand! Yea this drift was 4 feet deep by 30 yards long.

Saturday we drove with in 30 minute walk of the camp site, and woke up to 15 degrees.

This is the camp, still under 3 feet of snow. Its nice to walk on in the morning because its styrophome. By afternoon its perfect for corn skiing.

Note Leatherman on the right, and its neighbor 11,909 on the left. Again, if I was into skiing, I'd be making tracks for these peaks ASAP. For you Ice Climbers, look closely on the lower left ridge and you'll see a small tine line.

Great route. Two pitches. Bottom one went at WI 4- and was a full rope stretcher at 60 meters. The top pitch was a low sloper and was maybe a WI 2, but it did have a 25 foot hanging curtain at the top. It was WI 3. Good times until we had to hike out. Forgor the snow shoes and post holed the whole way out (4 miles worth.)

Is this Idaho or White Cap? Either way, Upper Pahsimeroi is open for business. We didn't see much other ice yet. Maybe next month.
Nice work, Kevin.
Next winter I have a driveway you can practice on with your shovel!

Bob
Bob

April 17th, 2012, 5:56 pm #9

Its kind of a wild place back in there. The climb out of Mohogany creek is quite steep. I once had a 4WD volkswagon van that did great getting into the deepest parts of the Pahsimeroi. It got me back into the East side of Breightenbach. I didn't have a partner, but I took a ton of Recon photos for Dean. Sadly I don't own a rig that can get back in there.
Reminds me of...a Red Neck personal add I saw once.
"SWM seaking SWF, must enjoy fishing, camping, and skillit cooking.
Hygine a plus. Knowledge of belay basics and owns a 4x4 is a must.
Please send picture of 4x4"

I spotted this back there. Hmmm Gets me thinking if its worth going and taking a look.
Kevin
Kevin,

Cool shots. I'll give you a call soon and we can chat.

I drove my '73 Super Beatle all the way into the East and West Fork 3 times without any problems. It had around 7 inches of clearance and a very low center of gravity so I never had a problem. I ran traction tires with tubes and never had a flat either. On one trip we drove in truck ruts in the snow until we bottomed out and when we couldn't turn around the 3 of us got out and bounced my VW around 180 degrees and drove back out the way we came.

Bob

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 17th, 2012, 8:40 pm #10

That's 11967, above Pass Lake.

Confirmation of reply: