Farley Lake

Farley Lake

Dan
Dan

July 31st, 2012, 7:56 pm #1

Anyone know if there are fish in Farley Lake?

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 31st, 2012, 8:57 pm #2

Whatever happened to that old fishing guide book that someone (George?) posted??

Geo
Geo

July 31st, 2012, 9:05 pm #3

It was Bob that was kind enough to share that:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/m ... mbers+only

-George

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 31st, 2012, 9:15 pm #4

Dead link

Geo
Geo

July 31st, 2012, 11:34 pm #5

No charge.

If I knew your email address, and your name, I could send you a soft copy.

-George

Dan
Dan

August 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm #6

If you could send it my way, that'd be cool.

Dan
Dan

August 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm #7

Anyone know if there are fish in Farley Lake?
Anyone know if there are fish in Hoodoo Lake in the White Clouds?

Bob
Bob

August 1st, 2012, 4:02 pm #8

Dead link
We took down the site where I had it stored but I just put it on my daughter's site at:

http://www.anneboyles.com/MountainLakesofIdaho.pdf

Bob

August 1st, 2012, 4:38 pm #9

Thanks for putting that back up, Bob. This time I'll make sure to grab a copy of it.

It still seems to be quite accurate. For example, I just visited a lake described as "Excellent". Indeed it still is:

Scenic, too:

I also visited a couple lakes that are not in that report and do not appear in current Fish & Game stocking report. These lakes also have fish, in fact more than the average lake that does appear in the stocking report. So does it really matter whether a lake is stocked (once every 3 years for most of these lakes). Perhaps the fish population would even be better if there was no stocking? I presume these lakes would have been stocked at some point in the past. Or could fish get into these lakes naturally?

I also wonder about the annual variability of the fish populations in the mountain lakes. I've now visited the same lakes for each of the past 3 years at roughly the same time of year and time of day in the same weather (is it ever not hot and sunny in the summer?). I've noticed trends in the ease with which fish are caught and the size. Do fish populations peak and decline over a cycle of several years? Perhaps for a while there are only big fish, then they fall away and smaller fish become more dominant until they get big?

These are a few of the many questions I would have for a biologist studying the mountain lakes. Any lurking here?

Jim

7C

August 2nd, 2012, 5:47 am #10

Anyone know if there are fish in Hoodoo Lake in the White Clouds?
I have not been there this year and it depends.

Hoodoo Lake will support fish and they flourish if the conditions allow them to overwinter. There is no dedicated inlet to Hoodoo so oxygen can be an issue when the lake freezes over. The IDFG has been stocking Hoodoo on (IIRC) a 2 year cycle. Typically, the fish die every winter. However, if you can get them to overwinter one or especially two winters, they grow up to be hogs.

On an interesting note, if you go up to Hoodoo Basin you will see the remenants of a culvert where someone (I won't say who) attempted to make a somewhat permenant inlet to the lake to solve this problem. The field engineering was not quite up to snuff and it washed out about 5 years after it was installed. However, the late 60s/early 70s was a great time to be fishing this lake. Now it is hit or miss.

Confirmation of reply: