Eclipse on Borah

Eclipse on Borah

Kent
Kent

August 18th, 2017, 3:10 pm #1

How many people are going to be on that peak?

August 18th, 2017, 3:14 pm #2

Several people from work plan on it. My dad's friend from high school, who has never done a peak before, is doing it because it aligns with his 66th birthday.

I've been getting emails about it since around March. I've also seen some buzz about it on cohp.org, nwhikers, etc...

What I really wonder about is do some of these non-hikers get that they are going to have to leave at like 5am to get to the summit in time to view the eclipse?

Should be interesting for sure!

Josh
Josh

August 18th, 2017, 3:23 pm #3

Rodolfo
Rodolfo

August 18th, 2017, 3:27 pm #4

August 18th, 2017, 6:09 pm #5

My question is this: how high up will the sun be at totality? I'm guessing stuck on the west side of 5,000 foot prominence is just going to net some people a badly lighted view of somebody's backside?

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 18th, 2017, 9:28 pm #6

Several people from work plan on it. My dad's friend from high school, who has never done a peak before, is doing it because it aligns with his 66th birthday.

I've been getting emails about it since around March. I've also seen some buzz about it on cohp.org, nwhikers, etc...

What I really wonder about is do some of these non-hikers get that they are going to have to leave at like 5am to get to the summit in time to view the eclipse?

Should be interesting for sure!
Facepalm

August 18th, 2017, 10:10 pm #7

I checked the NASA map and the eclipse will peak very close to 11:32 AM in the Mt Borah area. By mid to late August the sun doesn't get over Chicken Out ridge until 10:00 AM or later. If CO clogs up there might be some really disappointed people on the mountain. I considered going and figured I'd have to go up on Sunday and biv to ensure a summit view on Monday. But, I came to my senses and will enjoy the TRs from others.

Bob

August 19th, 2017, 12:17 am #8

And that's the line of folks trying to make it to the trailhead!

August 19th, 2017, 12:19 am #9

My question is this: how high up will the sun be at totality? I'm guessing stuck on the west side of 5,000 foot prominence is just going to net some people a badly lighted view of somebody's backside?
Helen- Not to be indelicate, but we call that view of a backside a "buttshot"

Bob
Bob

August 19th, 2017, 12:39 am #10

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that view I'd be rich.

Bob

Confirmation of reply: