Devil's Bedstead East

Devil's Bedstead East

Rob
Rob

July 12th, 2010, 3:36 am #1

I plan on doing the DBE next weekend and was wondering about two things:

1. Should I bring crampons if I want to get to the summit or will the snow basically be gone? Also, recommended routes.

2. I plan on camping at one of the lakes in the Boulder creek approach. By the look of it, there are a few, so which is the most suitable for a base camp?

Thanks a lot.

July 12th, 2010, 11:54 am #2

1. I did not take pictures of DBE on Saturday, but I recall thinking the standard route still looked skiable. Of course, with the heat this week things can change.
These TRs probably do a passable job of showing the standard route:
http://www.splattski.com/2006/dbe/index.html
http://www.idahosummits.com/dbe/dbe.htm
http://idahoalpinezone.com/index.php?p=2_63

2. I think there is only one lake actually on the route. If you are OK with sleeping at high elevation, I'd camp there.

Rob
Rob

July 12th, 2010, 4:22 pm #3

Thanks for the TR's John. They give me a pretty good idea of the route I'll take. Looking at Dave P's map that he kindly put together, Boulder Lake is ~1 off the trail. My plan was to start Friday night and find a lake that is comfortable/pretty to camp at and fish. And then the next day, go full bore at DBE. Is that feasible from Boulder Lake though? It looks like the terrain is steep in between it and the peak.

I don't mind camping at elevation, but I don't know what the conditions are around Washington Lake or that other lake on the trail up to DBE. Are they very rocky? Because if they make it difficult to set up a comfortable camp, then I'd rather just go to Boulder where it seems to be a little more comfortable, and take the extra hiking with it. Due any of them support good amounts of fish?

Sorry for the long entry, just all of these questions!
Thanks a lot,
Rob

July 12th, 2010, 6:10 pm #4

Seems like there is some marginal room for a tent at Washington.....some grass ...

No fish - pretty sure about that.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 12th, 2010, 6:25 pm #5

Fish are portable

Wes
Wes

July 12th, 2010, 7:20 pm #6

1. Should I bring crampons if I want to get to the summit or will the snow basically be gone? Also, recommended routes.

2. I plan on camping at one of the lakes in the Boulder creek approach. By the look of it, there are a few, so which is the most suitable for a base camp?

Thanks a lot.
Usually lots of fish in Washington lake if the ice is off, and although it's pretty rocky, there are a few flat places to sleep. There is a substantial amount of big talus blocks to cross above the lower lake on the trail but definitely worth the march. no fish in the little lake next to the trail below Washington but if you decide to camp there you'll find some pretty nice spots on the far side away from the trail.

July 13th, 2010, 2:34 am #7

Thanks a lot.
This 10942' Pioneer peak (prom 362') is located in the neighborhood of Devils Bedstead and Angel's Perch. Caught betwixt such almighty forces, this must be Purgatory. Repent sinner!- but enjoy the tidings of the mountains first.

View SW to the summit of Purgatory Peak, located on the Wildhorse-Kane Creek Divide.

Purgatory Peak has rock art on its summit. Some of the characters, Anglo in origin, are discernable. Note the name Rachel. Other stone alignments may be Native American in origin. View NW to Boulder Mountains.

In the late 1940's the Sun Valley Company began guiding summer visitors in the mountains. This is only a guess: Rachel and other clients could have been led up here by mountain & ski guide Andy Hennig (1903-1993).
View S from Purgatory summit to 11865' Devils Bedstead East, 11516' Abel Peak, and 10340' reluctant to thaw Washington Lake.
Little is known of the early climbing history of the DBE. Another hunch: Hennig was first to climb it in the late '40's.

Purgatory Creek drains the NW side of the mountain and has a 100' cataract. A surprisingly good cross country route to the top stays a little to the right of this stream.

In my opinion, Kane Creek is the best approach for the peaks discussed in this article, but today the Kane Creek Road was navigable. Here the amphibian S.S. Baugher is on patrol.
View S to 11051' Devils Bedstead.

All photos July 12, 2010

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 13th, 2010, 2:42 am #8

re: moto in the creek. My opinion just dropped a few notches.

July 13th, 2010, 3:04 am #9

This 10942' Pioneer peak (prom 362') is located in the neighborhood of Devils Bedstead and Angel's Perch. Caught betwixt such almighty forces, this must be Purgatory. Repent sinner!- but enjoy the tidings of the mountains first.

View SW to the summit of Purgatory Peak, located on the Wildhorse-Kane Creek Divide.

Purgatory Peak has rock art on its summit. Some of the characters, Anglo in origin, are discernable. Note the name Rachel. Other stone alignments may be Native American in origin. View NW to Boulder Mountains.

In the late 1940's the Sun Valley Company began guiding summer visitors in the mountains. This is only a guess: Rachel and other clients could have been led up here by mountain & ski guide Andy Hennig (1903-1993).
View S from Purgatory summit to 11865' Devils Bedstead East, 11516' Abel Peak, and 10340' reluctant to thaw Washington Lake.
Little is known of the early climbing history of the DBE. Another hunch: Hennig was first to climb it in the late '40's.

Purgatory Creek drains the NW side of the mountain and has a 100' cataract. A surprisingly good cross country route to the top stays a little to the right of this stream.

In my opinion, Kane Creek is the best approach for the peaks discussed in this article, but today the Kane Creek Road was navigable. Here the amphibian S.S. Baugher is on patrol.
View S to 11051' Devils Bedstead.

All photos July 12, 2010
Nice. Wish I had me one of those.

I keep thinking I heard somewhere you were a Navy vet, maybe even a submariner. Am I thinking of someone else?

-George

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 13th, 2010, 3:07 am #10

re: moto in the creek. My opinion just dropped a few notches.
i think motos belong in creeks. like snowmobiles belong in lakes, preferably upside down. sorry. i suppose you won't pick me up now if you ever see me hitchhiking will you?

Confirmation of reply: