CraigsList-gear for sale

CraigsList-gear for sale

April 26th, 2012, 1:23 am #1

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 26th, 2012, 2:54 am #2

$800 dollars really?

April 26th, 2012, 4:16 am #3

While the deal and / or gear might look enticing, I would strongly urge people to NOT buy used climbing gear. If they were shiny and new with the tags still on, then maybe... This is a personal opinion, though. Unless you know the person selling the gear and you can count on a reliable history of it's use. Never buy a used rope unless you want to turn it into a rug! http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-t ... -eh/263578

April 26th, 2012, 5:43 am #4

...and additionally, I don't even know if this would be a good deal at $800 or not.

April 26th, 2012, 6:01 pm #5

Yeah... There is about $300 in cams alone there, but I don't know. Surely it isn't stolen!

April 26th, 2012, 9:32 pm #6

...and additionally, I don't even know if this would be a good deal at $800 or not.
For $800, you could get one of these:

20 of these:

and 20 of these:

Add some 3/8" chain and a few quick-links and you are in business!

I keed, I keed! I agree that buying any used softgoods (rope, draws, slings) that are crucial to safety is not the best idea. But, hardgoods are another story (I know, I know, hairline cracks, metal fatigue, ad nauseum...). I have purchase cams before with the intention of having them reslung at BD. When I went to call, I realized that I was calling a friend and haven't reslung them yet. With the data that I've seen on ropes affected by cat piss and chemicals, I would say that if you buy one new or used off eBay or craigslist, then AMFYOYO!

April 26th, 2012, 10:33 pm #7

Adios, My Friend, you are on your own. Just the way I like it.
I too buy used hard and soft goods. Yea used gear is shadey to begin with, but I've lightened up since I started ice climbing. Like I've said before, ever climb at Twin Falls Canyon? Seriously your building anchors on bushes, weeds, and grass. As for used soft goods. You bet I'll take them. I also leave them when ever I have to bail and a V-thread is the only way to go.
The best time to buy used rock gear is just before or after Christmas. No one has cash, no one is bidding. I once bought 25 cams, and 40 nuts for $500. (thats $20 a cam) I waited for a few months when everyone has spring fever and sold the ones (BD) I didn't like for $35-40 each.
My favorite purchases come from folks that bought a ton a gear thinking they were going to use it. (big wall wanabees) In the end they ripped off the tag threw it in a bag, and never went climbing. Usually these sales are next to climbing shoes that don't have any scuffs on them. The cams still have paint where the lobes touch the rock. The biners are shiney still. Yep I love yuppies. I'm ok with buying a used car, too. Shoot. I don't even replace the seatbelts. I trust them.
My rule is, "If its nicer/newer/cleaner than what I'm currently using, Buy it."
That being said. I too was not impressed with the price tag. It's too close to retail. If I'm paying 10% lower than retail, I'll just fork over the extra dough and get brand new.
Kevin
Everyone is aloud their 2 cents. Thats mine.

April 27th, 2012, 12:33 am #8

Love the acronym!

April 27th, 2012, 3:54 pm #9

Today's deal of the day is the BD Express Ice Screw.
Its not the Turbo Express which has a tapered tube so it doesn't rub on the ice as you turn it into its placement. This one you WILL feel a little more friction as you drill it. Also the teeth are not like the Turbo Express either. BUT if your willing to sacrifice a little "I mean very little" extra work to save a little more bread. This is a good deal. Note the size is only available in the 19CM length. This is the second to longest size(gray). Ideal for belays and v threads. Personally if your setting up a belay or v thread, that extra frictional effort will not matter because you'll be at a good stance anyway.
Just looking out for you.
Kevin
http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/dod.action

April 27th, 2012, 4:10 pm #10

Great deal! I wish they were the 10s or 13cm's, though.

What's the weather like over your way? NOAA says that it's supposed to rain at the City.

Confirmation of reply: