Chicken-Out Ridge Photos

Chicken-Out Ridge Photos

August 25th, 2011, 3:12 pm #1

I took my daughter Anne and her best friend Kyndal up the ridge on Sunday. I was reluctant to go but I had two "real" reasons this time and it was an offer that I could not refuse. It was my 28th trip to the summit. I created an album page on Summit Post.

http://www.summitpost.org/mt-borah-idaho/740523

Bob

August 25th, 2011, 8:10 pm #2

Great job by the girls! You're an awesome Dad! Looks like it was a nice day to be up there. Glad the thunderstorms kept their distance. Here are some pics from a couple weeks ago of the NF.

We climbed up a nice thread of ice. Red up. Yellow traverse. Light Blue down.

There was mank ice in the runnels, but fair ice to the side.

We climbed three pitches and then traversed into the main gully since it was less steep and had snow and skied down. We were out of time.

Psycho Therapy, not quite in. Want to send...

From there, Bob and I went to the Tetons where a thunderstorm slowed down some of our plans.

The next morning was very nice. We scaled back our plans and were reduced to peakbagging. We hit the Middle and South Tetons.

The Middle Teton. We didn't find a summit register. But we weren't looking. And we didn't give a shite.

The South Teton. No summit register. Weren't looking. Didn't give a shite. Somebody at the Meadows told us that the South Teton was a class 4. Then argued with me when I said it wasn't any worse than the Middle's choss gully. They had done neither.

The last night, we watched four people get worked over by a two man tent.

I stared at these tits every night.

It was a great trip. Love the LRR and love the Tetons. But I am ready to head back up to Borah in the very near future.

Bob
Bob

August 26th, 2011, 3:38 am #3

I looked down the summit couloir on Sunday and could see some real nice ice forming near the top of the mountain. The shadow on the face is growing longer everyday so it should be shaping up pretty soon.

I loved those Teton shots. Great job!

Bob

Mike F.
Mike F.

August 26th, 2011, 5:37 am #4

Nice shots Ralph. How was the snow on the middle? I am Heading up there in a few weeks. Thanks again!

August 26th, 2011, 6:07 am #5

Hey Mike. The snow on the 3rd class route was not an issue. You can avoid it by climbing rock from the saddle. Just don't drift too far to the climber's left Once in the gully, there is no snow that can't be avoided. We were on rock the whole way. You may want an axe and crampons for the approach. There are two snow fields that would be interesting to ascend/descend if they were firm from the Meadows to the Saddle. We had, and used axe and crampons. You can cache them at the saddle. Also, there's plenty of water along the way. I started the JBC protocol descending from Borah when our treatment option walked out before us and drank untreated water in the Tetons and am still brown-stain free as we speak. Maybe it IS a conspiracy. Sorry to go off-topic.

The Middle with the route visible.

Choss gully about mid-way.

Very short scramble near the top.

Here is the South. If you haven't done the South before, I would recommend doing it the same time you do the Middle. The route is very straight-forward and it's NOT a class 4. It only takes about 45 minutes from the saddle.

Mike F
Mike F

August 26th, 2011, 5:27 pm #6

Nice Shots as usual and thanks for the information. what truly suprises me is how much the snow has melted over the last four weeks. the middle was still socked in with allot of snow as of then. Thanks again and way to get after it!

Bob
Bob

August 29th, 2011, 12:37 am #7

Great job by the girls! You're an awesome Dad! Looks like it was a nice day to be up there. Glad the thunderstorms kept their distance. Here are some pics from a couple weeks ago of the NF.

We climbed up a nice thread of ice. Red up. Yellow traverse. Light Blue down.

There was mank ice in the runnels, but fair ice to the side.

We climbed three pitches and then traversed into the main gully since it was less steep and had snow and skied down. We were out of time.

Psycho Therapy, not quite in. Want to send...

From there, Bob and I went to the Tetons where a thunderstorm slowed down some of our plans.

The next morning was very nice. We scaled back our plans and were reduced to peakbagging. We hit the Middle and South Tetons.

The Middle Teton. We didn't find a summit register. But we weren't looking. And we didn't give a shite.

The South Teton. No summit register. Weren't looking. Didn't give a shite. Somebody at the Meadows told us that the South Teton was a class 4. Then argued with me when I said it wasn't any worse than the Middle's choss gully. They had done neither.

The last night, we watched four people get worked over by a two man tent.

I stared at these tits every night.

It was a great trip. Love the LRR and love the Tetons. But I am ready to head back up to Borah in the very near future.
Here's my shot from 8-21 looking down Mt Borah's summit couloir. There's some real nice ice forming up there around the 12,000' level.

http://www.summitpost.org/mt-borah-summ ... 2/c-604619

Confirmation of reply: