Busy day in the Lost Rivers 5/15

Busy day in the Lost Rivers 5/15

May 16th, 2010, 11:28 am #1

We have verbal confirmation of several groups summitting different Lost River peaks on Saturday.
To uphold my reputation for posting before we hit the pavement, here's our trip report ("our" meaning mine, as SuperDave will post his version when he's good and ready) for Horseshoe Mountain:
http://www.splattski.com/2010/horseshoe/index.html

May 16th, 2010, 12:32 pm #2

looked like a great day! Nice double "Splattski" photo.

Sean H
Sean H

May 16th, 2010, 3:16 pm #3

Smart move climbing this mountain with snowpack.

pat
pat

May 16th, 2010, 5:39 pm #4

We have verbal confirmation of several groups summitting different Lost River peaks on Saturday.
To uphold my reputation for posting before we hit the pavement, here's our trip report ("our" meaning mine, as SuperDave will post his version when he's good and ready) for Horseshoe Mountain:
Looks like you and Dave had a good climb. Congrats. It was a beautiful day.

John, George and I decided to take an serpentine route up North and South Twin. Avoiding the continuous snow fields, we wound our way through cliff bands and had a great time.

The Twins

John on North Twin

George traversing between the peaks.

John and George high on S. Twin with N. Twin in background

The Southern Lost Rivers

Recent avalanche activity.

May 16th, 2010, 5:55 pm #5

Nice pics, Pat!
Looks like you had a variety of snow conditions?
Did it snow on you guys at all?

pat
pat

May 16th, 2010, 8:36 pm #6

John,

The snow squalls stayed just to the north of us. We caught a couple stray flakes at about 4 pm.

The snow on the ground was highly variable, everything from hard styrofoam to waist deep sugar. We wore snowshoes for a short time on the approach and descent. The snow got pretty loose as the temperature rose well above freezing by noon.

Wes
Wes

May 16th, 2010, 8:58 pm #7

Wow, I can't believe I've not bumped in to more of the Idaho Summits crowd out in the LRR. Nice work! Pat, did you guys stick to the west side of the range when you came off of N. Twin? It's all pretty steep up there.

pat
pat

May 16th, 2010, 11:29 pm #8

Wes,

Thanks. Every time we drive through Arco we wonder where you live and if you would be interested in coming along.

Quoting George "Poor choices make good stories".

As we descended N. Twin towards the saddle, a rock cliff blocked our way (see first photo). The snow was very steep on both sides. After a false start down the west face, we kicked off a small cornice and downclimbed onto the east face. That was pretty hairy. We traversed a long horizontal cliff/snow band above a sizeable drop. Eventually we worked out way back to west side, and the saddle. After doing S. Twin, we returned to the saddle and strategized our return to Elbow Canyon. We opted for a wild glissade of the west face to a point we could traverse N. Twin and reclimb up into the Elbow Canyon drainage.

May 17th, 2010, 12:09 am #9

The first picture below shows a little more of our East side route.

Pat & John leaving North Twin, heading "South"

Pat about to exit Clark Canyon into Elbow Canyon on our return

-George

Wes
Wes

May 17th, 2010, 5:42 pm #10

Impressive guys! I've traversed those two in dry conditions, it was hairy then. Great photos!

Confirmation of reply: