Borah NF

Borah NF

May 14th, 2012, 1:42 am #1

Don't bother until later in the year unless you like kicking steps or if you're going to ski it, in which case go get it now.

I've had such firm neve recently in the mornings on all aspects in the Sawtooths I figured it would translate to the dry Lost Rivers. Things started promising.

Water ice on the walls and wore crampons from 8500-10500, this is gonna be a calf-burner.

Between 10500 and 11000 the snow went to unconsolidated and calf deep. It firmed up more higher, but not much. The calves were well rested.

A few mixed steps interrupted the step kicking.

Danger Will Robinson, cornice alert. Forewent the standard exit for the "traverse" finish to avoid the cornice.

The only ice stick on the ascent.

From the top.

The largest cornice I have seen in Idaho. Who wants the FWA of the East Face?

From the bottom of the sea to 12000+, 9 or so catastrophic feet at a time.

The rest of the LRR looking snowy, don't see any ice though. Can someone point out where Gold Digger is?

COR. The SW side, in contrast to the NF, was generally either deep slush or bullet hard, have to kick in to find out.

Spectacular area, very cool big mountains. Some recent tracks up to pt 11898, anybody want to claim them?

Oh yeah, Cory, who bailed on me, what are we climbing next weekend?

pat
pat

May 14th, 2012, 4:11 am #2

Great solo effort! Looks like fun without the ice.

May 14th, 2012, 4:24 am #3

Don't bother until later in the year unless you like kicking steps or if you're going to ski it, in which case go get it now.

I've had such firm neve recently in the mornings on all aspects in the Sawtooths I figured it would translate to the dry Lost Rivers. Things started promising.

Water ice on the walls and wore crampons from 8500-10500, this is gonna be a calf-burner.

Between 10500 and 11000 the snow went to unconsolidated and calf deep. It firmed up more higher, but not much. The calves were well rested.

Danger Will Robinson, cornice alert. Forewent the standard exit for the "traverse" finish to avoid the cornice.

From the top.

The rest of the LRR looking snowy, don't see any ice though. Can someone point out where Gold Digger is?

COR. The SW side, in contrast to the NF, was generally either deep slush or bullet hard, have to kick in to find out.

Spectacular area, very cool big mountains. Some recent tracks up to pt 11898, anybody want to claim them?

Great day, man! I would recommend climbing the "Hidden Couloir" in September/October. I liked it better because you didn't have the traverse to mess with and there were three good pitches of ice on the lower portion. Then you get a 3rd class cool-down up the East ridge, then the final pitch up an ice filled runnel (further left of the "regular" couloir) right to the summit.

Route drawn on one of Platt's pictures.

Lower pitches.

How was that WI on the approach? The falls still looks pretty fat! Probably hollow though! Was the drive to Rock Creek pretty bad?

splattski
splattski

May 14th, 2012, 1:12 pm #4

From the top.

Nice going, Z-man!

Couple comments/questions:
You mention you were in poons at 8500'. Where did it turn to fairly continuous snow?
Great photos. Got any that show Mahogany Creek or better show Mountaineer Peak?

Thx-

May 14th, 2012, 2:27 pm #5

Great day, man! I would recommend climbing the "Hidden Couloir" in September/October. I liked it better because you didn't have the traverse to mess with and there were three good pitches of ice on the lower portion. Then you get a 3rd class cool-down up the East ridge, then the final pitch up an ice filled runnel (further left of the "regular" couloir) right to the summit.

Route drawn on one of Platt's pictures.

Lower pitches.

How was that WI on the approach? The falls still looks pretty fat! Probably hollow though! Was the drive to Rock Creek pretty bad?
I climbed the lower half and the upper 1/3 as you have it drawn. I cut right before the East ridge to mostly stay on snow. It would appear the NF doesn't consolidate until quite a bit later in the year, which would explain why it holds perrenial snow and ice. The W(climber's right) side of the NF looks like it gets quite a bit more sun, it may consolidate earlier.

I didn't try any of the ice on the way in, would be a pretty good haul for a couple pitches. The NW facing stuff at about 9000' in the 2nd photo I posted looked pretty thick, but was ghost white so I'm guessing a bit baked at this point. The falls buried in the chimney was blue, but sounded very wet. There were strings of disintigrating ice all over the valley walls back there.

I parked at Birch Springs, which was in good shape.

May 14th, 2012, 2:32 pm #6

Nice going, Z-man!

You mention you were in poons at 8500'. Where did it turn to fairly continuous snow?

Thx-
continuous snow started about 8500', patchy starting ~8000.

I'll post a photo looking in the direction of Mahogany tonight.

May 14th, 2012, 5:29 pm #7

It looked like a big day for sure. You were making good time.
There is something about soloing, its just so free.
Kevin

May 15th, 2012, 12:39 am #8

Haha, good one. yes, but there's also something about belaying and placing cams, it's just so "friendly."

May 15th, 2012, 12:41 am #9

Nice going, Z-man!

Thx-
Here's a couple.

Looks pretty snow free for the most part.

splattski
splattski

May 15th, 2012, 1:44 am #10

Pretty dry looking on the southern sides.

Nice pics, by the way!

Confirmation of reply: