Boise River information below Whitewater park.

Boise River information below Whitewater park.

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

June 22nd, 2012, 3:41 am #1

Any information on taking Inflatable Kayaks (IKs) , Sit on Tops, Canoes, etc downstream from the new Boise Whitewater Park by Idaho River Sports.

Is it Terra Incognito?

Are there dragons, log-jams, or trigger-happy Meth-heads?

There doesnt seem to be anything I can find on a Google search about this?

Do you have any links or recent information on floating through lovely Garden City?

Parking for a takeout around Glenwood Bridge?

Thanks!

June 22nd, 2012, 4:51 am #2

I used Ron Watters' "Guide to Idaho Paddling" when I canoed from Eagle down to Middleton. Excellent book! Library here in Boise should have it. If you are going to float from the WW park to Glenwood, I would just keep going! The river past the Glenwood bridge just keeps getting more primal. It was a great float when I did it a couple years ago. There were a few spots to portage around downed trees, but if the flow is low enough there's plenty of time. Hope that helps.

Bob
Bob

June 22nd, 2012, 11:31 am #3

Any information on taking Inflatable Kayaks (IKs) , Sit on Tops, Canoes, etc downstream from the new Boise Whitewater Park by Idaho River Sports.

Is it Terra Incognito?

Do you have any links or recent information on floating through lovely Garden City?

Thanks!

A friend of mine has been down that section several times this spring and reports that it's in good shape. I'll call him for more details and let you know what he has to say.

Bob

Bob
Bob

June 22nd, 2012, 2:20 pm #4

My friend slipped off to Colorado yesterday so I can't get specifics but I know he went at least as far as Glenwood and said the rest of the river look very navigable.

Bob

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

June 23rd, 2012, 2:04 am #5

Luddite & Bob!

Thanks for your help! I should have remembered "The Guide to Idaho Paddling", since I know Ron Watters, and was impressed with the book, and of course own a copy.

Ron did some incredible epic winter journey's across the Idaho Wilderness back in the 1970s.

I'll see what I can do with my beginning IK students. One of them is the permit holder for our late July Middle Fork Salmon trip.

As I have learned: it is self-defeating to kill or injure the permit-holder before the trip.

LT
LT

June 24th, 2012, 12:52 am #6

Is it Terra Incognito?

Thanks!

The lower Boise is wonderful easy paddling. I have floated all the sections from Glenwood down to Notus and nothing is beyond class II (maybe II+ at high flows) unless you count the diversion dams, but they can all be easily run or portaged. There is one dam down in Caldwell just before I84 that is a steep drop with large sharp rocks and you will almost certainly want to portage that if you get down that far. Other than that just be on the lookout for strainers, especially at high flows.

I run the Linder to Star to Middleton sections the most since I live down the road from the Lansing Sportsmans Access and can just call my wife to pick us up at the takeouts. I've taken my young kids on all of these stretches in an IK and they love it. Usually I have the river completely to myself with the exception of an occasional fisherman, although I have made the mistake of floating stretches on opening weekend of dove (early Sept) and waterfowl (mid Oct)-- I don't recommend those times of the year.

Often you feel like you're out in the wilderness even though you're not. If you float at first or last light, you can see a lot of wildlife. I have floated right up on beavers, muskrats, minks, herons, ducks, geese, quail, osprey, wild turkey, and mule deer. Right now you might find some ripe raspberries to pick along the banks as well and blackberries later in the summer.

Have fun.

LT
LT

June 24th, 2012, 12:57 am #7

One more thing... I'd follow Ron's advice and avoid the north channel around Eagle Island. I have not yet paddled any of that because at low water it looks way too slow and at high water too many strainers. It might be a fun adventure to do once though.

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

June 25th, 2012, 2:34 am #8

LT! Thanks for the info on the Boise below the Whitewater park. It is much appreciated.

We just paddled flat-water at the pond at Idaho River Sports yesterday, worked on turns, tipping, and water entry back into an IK, while I assessed readiness & abilities on my two students.

One is fine, one is not. Of course: the is not-ready man drew our Middle-Fork permit.

I had fond memories of no crowds on the 10 mile stretch of the Middle Fork Boise, from the confluence of the North & Middle Fork, down to Willow Springs campground, just above high-pool for Arrowrock Reservoir.

I only floated it in once, in a long-ago August with a flyrod aboard, and I had mostly deleted my memories of the road in there.

We drove up this morning and found hundreds of Sat. night party-people driving out mid-morning.

Thr river was fine at 2,400 CFS, no log-jams or down tree strainers, and my beginners had a great day.

Unfortunately, it was too easy!

Hope the hell they can handle the Middle Fork Salmon in late July, after this slight warm-up.

Confirmation of reply: