Blackfoot Mountains

Blackfoot Mountains

April 21st, 2011, 2:02 am #1

Here are 4 peaks on the Wolverine quadrangle, Bingham County... so close to home.

Taylor Mountain 7404'/704'

3D Mountain (Triple Divide) 7420'/360'

Saw Log Peak 6420'/360'

Wolverine Narrows Mountain 6796'/496'

All photos 4/20/11

April 21st, 2011, 2:30 am #2

Nature and nurture on the west slope Blackfoot Mountains:

Access to the peaks of the Blackfoot Mountains has always been problematic on account of private land.
Wind farms will only reduce public access.
One bright spot: The Jones Creek landowner is a good sport sportsman. He allows foot-travel public access over his land.

Hey kid! You look ready to run. Which way to the mountains?

1910's homestead up Jones Creek.
Lifestyle: Heartbreakingly difficult.

The early bloomer prize goes to: Globeflower... or is it Anemone?
At any rate, the snow cover has been gone just a couple of days.

April 21st, 2011, 3:30 am #3

Here are 4 peaks on the Wolverine quadrangle, Bingham County... so close to home.

Taylor Mountain 7404'/704'

3D Mountain (Triple Divide) 7420'/360'

Saw Log Peak 6420'/360'

Wolverine Narrows Mountain 6796'/496'

All photos 4/20/11
USGS topographers were in the Blackfoot Mountains during 1924.

A vertical angle (VA) benchmark was placed on the summit of Wolverine Narrows Mountain at that time.
Credit WJ Lloyd and RT Evans with an earliest known ascent.
On my visit today (4/20/11), I also recovered a summit register placed by TR Hill, who was here in 1999 and 2001. That's his little cairn in the photo. Ted and I have crossed paths on several mountains.

Here's the benchmark placed by Lloyd and Evans in 1924. There is no date and no name.
Fortunately, we have a few tricks to help guess the age of a non-dated benchmark:
* Note date of map publication, in this case the Ammon 15 minute quad of 1924.
* Brass (gold colored) benchmarks like this were used prior to WW2.
* If the disk were larger, and with fewer but larger lettering, it's pre WW1.
* In Idaho, 'cooperation with the state' took place from 1920 onward.
* Usually VA or vertical angle elevation readings were recorded prior to establishment of North American Datum in 1927. Their 6790' and our 6796' is the result of using differing data.

Topographers WJ Lloyd (on left), and RT Evans (with additional youthful insert ca 1910). Photos courtesy USGS.
Both these men had extensive experience surveying the mountains of the American West, and they did it the hard way, by physically climbing the mountains.

Richard Evans' work on the Grand Canyon National Park maps is "rated as perhaps the finest examples of topographic mapping in existence. They are considered equal, if not superior, to the finest work of Swiss, French, and Italian topographers in mapping the Alps".

Rick
Rick

April 1st, 2017, 11:17 pm #4

Today was my x2 (second visit) to Wolverine Narrows Mountain 6796/496'. No foolin'.
From my initial visit on 4/20/11 here are some comparatives:

* Parked on Wolverine Road 4978' instead of riding thru the private ranch on Jones Creek. The kind landowner still allows 'Sportsman's Access' but it is limited to foot & horseback travel.

* Today was sunny & dry instead of partly snowcovered. As was the case 6 years ago the Pasqueflower (anemone) is in bloom, but also the Fritillary (yellow bells).

* On the summit the TR Hill plastic photo register from 1999 has mostly disintegrated. His entry in pencil is no longer readable. My entry in black ink on soggy paper can still be read. There are no other sign-ins. This mountain, 25 miles from Idaho Falls, still retains the solitude Evans & Lloyd found when they placed the USGS benchmark in 1924.

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

April 2nd, 2017, 3:58 am #5

Rick! Thank you again. Your history threads are much fun for me to read.

Confirmation of reply: