Beginner's backcountry ski trip: invite

Beginner's backcountry ski trip: invite

December 20th, 2010, 3:15 am #1

There has been a lot of talk about learning to backcountry ski recently, both here on this board and out on the trail. Luddite and I would like to invite skiers to learn about the mountains in winter on a trip to Copper Mountain on January 2.

This is a trip for skiers. We plan to also include tagging the summit for you peakbaggers (we know who we are). But Copper is not a great place to learn how to ski. This will be more a chance for you to learn about skinning and skiing "off-piste." You should be a moderately strong skier, either alpine or telemark. That means able to link turns in soft snow. If you can ski Black runs, you'll be fine. If you only ski blue, let's talk.

The terrain is moderate and we anticipate safe conditions without requiring beacons. Note that if avy conditions are 'in extremis', we will cancel or change course. But in any event we will stick to moderate, intermediate terrain where such risk is minimal.

You will need skis, boots, poles, and skins. You can rent AT or tele gear at several locations in Boise.

Questions or to sign on, post here. Or email Luddite or me.

splattski

December 20th, 2010, 6:08 am #2

You know I would love to go- ski and bag the peak. Pretty sure my skill level is not where it should be in order to come along. Hitting black trails was next on my list- but, as of yet, I've stuck to blue. I'll email splattski about skill level. If not this year, I hope people are of a mind to offer to lead a group of newbies next year.

December 20th, 2010, 1:05 pm #3

There has been a lot of talk about learning to backcountry ski recently, both here on this board and out on the trail. Luddite and I would like to invite skiers to learn about the mountains in winter on a trip to Copper Mountain on January 2.

This is a trip for skiers. We plan to also include tagging the summit for you peakbaggers (we know who we are). But Copper is not a great place to learn how to ski. This will be more a chance for you to learn about skinning and skiing "off-piste." You should be a moderately strong skier, either alpine or telemark. That means able to link turns in soft snow. If you can ski Black runs, you'll be fine. If you only ski blue, let's talk.

The terrain is moderate and we anticipate safe conditions without requiring beacons. Note that if avy conditions are 'in extremis', we will cancel or change course. But in any event we will stick to moderate, intermediate terrain where such risk is minimal.

You will need skis, boots, poles, and skins. You can rent AT or tele gear at several locations in Boise.

splattski
Howdy,

I'm interested in the Jan 2 outing. I just picked up an AT setup, but haven't had a chance to really practice skinning and would love to learn more.

Cheers,

george

December 20th, 2010, 4:30 pm #4

splattski
John, Dylan and I would love to join you on this trip. We should be able to talk more about this on the Cervidae hike.

crappyclimber
crappyclimber

December 20th, 2010, 9:29 pm #5

splattski
How about an out of shape, fat, advanced "hack" beginner skier tagging along...I promise to complain about the conditions, tell you how it is better at pilots, tell you how your gear is sub par etc.....LOL....can I come?

December 20th, 2010, 9:51 pm #6

Yeah, but you get out of line and we're going to take away your hot chocolate.

DAS
DAS

December 21st, 2010, 5:11 am #7

splattski
Just wondering who rents AT gear of the lock down heel sort in Boise? I've checked BSU rec center, Idaho Mountain Touring and McU's all they have is tele stuff. Perhaps REI? I rarely get that far west of my SE local, but maybe I should check it out.

My goal is to learn to back country ski this year, but I am already committed on the 2nd. I'll check the board to see if you have another outing as I would enjoy the opportunity to learn from others.

crappyclimber
crappyclimber

December 21st, 2010, 2:58 pm #8

At one time, greenwoods had a very small selection of AT gear for rent, but i do not know if they still do or not.
Generally, they are about the only shop in the valley who even knows what you are talking about when you mention AT gear.

December 21st, 2010, 5:09 pm #9

Just wondering who rents AT gear of the lock down heel sort in Boise? I've checked BSU rec center, Idaho Mountain Touring and McU's all they have is tele stuff. Perhaps REI? I rarely get that far west of my SE local, but maybe I should check it out.

My goal is to learn to back country ski this year, but I am already committed on the 2nd. I'll check the board to see if you have another outing as I would enjoy the opportunity to learn from others.
Idaho Mountain Touring has AT gear for rent.
Not a lot. However, you can reserve gear.
336-3854

December 22nd, 2010, 3:52 am #10

splattski
Here is what the face of Copper looked like today. Absolutely horrible!

Confirmation of reply: