Bad Rock

Bad Rock

May 9th, 2010, 2:46 pm #1

Judging from the conditions we had observed on our trip up Invisible & Sheephead a couple of weeks ago, John & I figured Bad Rock would be in prime shape for a climb that avoided the summer scree. We avoided the scree, but we ended up digging a lot deeper than we had anticipated.

Snowshoe approach:

Never ending contour

John about to punch through to the ridge

Connecting ridge to Church as the flurries hit & the victory shot

Where are all the BC skiers?

-George

margo
margo

May 9th, 2010, 2:50 pm #2

you guys rock. excellent! thanks for sharing. So is this peak undoable dry?

May 9th, 2010, 3:27 pm #3

Judging from the conditions we had observed on our trip up Invisible & Sheephead a couple of weeks ago, John & I figured Bad Rock would be in prime shape for a climb that avoided the summer scree. We avoided the scree, but we ended up digging a lot deeper than we had anticipated.

Snowshoe approach:

Never ending contour

-George
This skier is doing chores around the house to atone for last weekend...

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 9th, 2010, 6:02 pm #4

Snowshoe approach:

Never ending contour

-George
Nice TR George.

Got any photos looking down to the east? How'd the coverage look on those ledgy lines?

May 9th, 2010, 6:37 pm #5

A guy who skied those ledges on Bad Rock in 2008 named one of the lines "Barely Ledgible". Quite appropriate for a line that is 10 feet wide or less and partly overhung by the ledge above it. Wild terrain. I'd love to get in there someday.

Ryan S
Ryan S

May 9th, 2010, 6:51 pm #6

Jim, who skied Barely Ledgible?

PM me on ttips if you want to get down to Hayden again.

Ryan S
Ryan S

May 9th, 2010, 6:53 pm #7

or come to think of it, PM me anytime to ski. It'd be awesome to get back into the east side of the LRR

May 9th, 2010, 6:59 pm #8

Nice TR George.

Got any photos looking down to the east? How'd the coverage look on those ledgy lines?
Thanks. No, I didn't get any pictures looking down the E Fk of the Pahsimeroi. We started getting sandblasted about the time we got on the ridge. It looked about the same as the backside of Church for coverage.

-George

May 9th, 2010, 8:15 pm #9

or come to think of it, PM me anytime to ski. It'd be awesome to get back into the east side of the LRR
Hayden was staring at me during my bike ride yesterday. With one more round of warm to cool weather, it will be prime for skiing.

But probably not by me since my season may be done early. I sprained my ankle skiing 10 days ago, and it hurts just as much now as when I did it. I've got the feeling that something might be broken. At least it's fine for biking.....

The Bad Rock skier is Brian Story from Bozeman. I was fortunate to be forwarded his ski journal and photos from the trip. He solo skied gnarly lines on Leatherman, Bad Rock, Church, Donaldson, and Corruption over 3 days in mid-May 2008. Could be first descents on just about everything he skied. His lines on Bad Rock and Corruption, in particular, were very impressive.

I wonder how much stuff like this gets done regularly but you just never hear about it because the skier is not an internet superstar or in ski movies? Makes me laugh when I see Black Diamond promoting their athletes as skiing "first descents" in the Lost Rivers, when in reality they have no idea if a line has been skied.

One thing Brian noted in his journal was that the faceted snow below tree line in the Lost Rivers was about the worst snow he'd ever traveled through. I'm glad to know that an experienced skier says it doesn't get much worse than that.

Jim

May 9th, 2010, 8:23 pm #10

you guys rock. excellent! thanks for sharing. So is this peak undoable dry?
Several have done it dry, but it's some steep loose scree. The topo below is "on loan" (not hacked ) from Dave's report when he and Splattski climbed it last November with Sean and Tom. I'm not sure if that is the standard "dry" route, but it would be miserable if it is. We climbed the gully just to the NW of their route because it had already slid (and we'd had enough of the contour). We actually glissaded their route down the face. The snow was slightly crusty on top with sugar below and we had to push ourselves to move ...except for that short section of water ice around the tops of exposed rocks about halfway down.

-George

Confirmation of reply: