Arentson Gulch Road

Arentson Gulch Road

Mike F.
Mike F.

March 4th, 2012, 10:40 pm #1

I am planning a trip up Dickey Peak the weekend of the 18th of march and was cuirous to know if a Subaru could make to to the trailhead given the snow drifts are not to bad. I don't mind walking in from the highway but the extra travel by car could save a bit of time. Thanks in advance and if anyone want's to go let me know I have a group of 5 going so far. it shoud be a fun outing and a good warm up for the seasion.

Mike F
Mike F

March 12th, 2012, 9:46 pm #2

Anyone?

Dave
Dave

March 12th, 2012, 10:24 pm #3

Judging by the amount of snow visible from the Willow Creek camera, I'd say you may need to plan on a longer approach.

splattski
splattski

March 12th, 2012, 10:28 pm #4

We drove my Suby up Arentson all the way to the base of Petros last June, no problem:
http://www.splattski.com/2011/petros_2/index.html

Mike F
Mike F

March 13th, 2012, 12:09 am #5

Judging by the amount of snow visible from the Willow Creek camera, I'd say you may need to plan on a longer approach.

Thanks Dave/Splatski, I was going to leave work early on Friday so I could navigate the road.make sure there are no snow drifts to contend with in the morning. I am being optimistic that this 40ish dergree weather in Mackay will help me out for this trip.

splattski
splattski

March 13th, 2012, 2:27 am #6

If you can't drive the road, it's very doable from the highway:
http://www.splattski.com/2009/dickey/index.html

Mike F.
Mike F.

March 18th, 2012, 2:32 am #7

The road was fine on Friday but by Saturday it was sloppy! it snowed almost a foot in six hours and we had to turn around at about 9,800 ft due to waist deep snow and no visability. Thanks for the information. I may have to go for this again next month when the snow consolidates a bit more. as of now though there was enough snow/ice on the road to get a truck stuck twice on the way out.

splattski
splattski

March 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm #8

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a real adventure!
Pics?

Mike F
Mike F

March 19th, 2012, 6:37 pm #9

It was fun to get out even if we did not get a summit. I forgot my camera in I.F so no photos. but there is always next time.

March 19th, 2012, 7:33 pm #10

Sounds like you needed me on the trip to be your good luck charm. Let me know when you plan on going again.

Confirmation of reply: