Any 12'ers clear of snow yet?

Any 12'ers clear of snow yet?

phillinley
phillinley

June 5th, 2012, 9:52 pm #1

I'm from Illinois, so I haven't been able to check conditions for my climbing trip this week. Just checking if anywhere is cleared out yet where it wouldn't be a mixed climb. Was going to try Hyndman's south ridge Thursday, but not sure if summer has hit that ridge yet.

Bob
Bob

June 5th, 2012, 9:57 pm #2

When the weather clears you can take a look from the Baldy webcam. It points straight at the Pioneers. The last time I could see anything it looked like the range is relatively dry compared to the Sawtooths.

http://www.sunvalley.com/mountain/webcams/

Bob

June 6th, 2012, 1:06 pm #3

Would like to climb Old Hyndman Sat. I will be spending Sat. night in Sun Valley with wife and come home Sunday. Looking at Condos.
Anyone want to come along.?

June 6th, 2012, 11:08 pm #4

I climbed Jacqueline Peak about a month ago, and there was still quite a bit of snow from about 8,000ft. Ice ax and crampons were required. I wouldn't expect Hyndman to be completely snow free until July. I would probably recommend bringing crampons and ice ax even though they might not get used. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it, I always say! Good luck!

June 7th, 2012, 8:28 pm #5

I'm from Illinois, so I haven't been able to check conditions for my climbing trip this week. Just checking if anywhere is cleared out yet where it wouldn't be a mixed climb. Was going to try Hyndman's south ridge Thursday, but not sure if summer has hit that ridge yet.
Headed up to Borah early morning Saturday to attempt the standard route, so I'll post my findings on the snow once we get back...I know that will be too late for what you need, but hopefully it will help anyone else looking at an early season climb:-)

Be safe,

Blake

pat
pat

June 7th, 2012, 10:31 pm #6

Borah's standard route was essentially snow free up to Chickenout ridge last Sunday. Then the snow began.

The last 200 feet of the ridge looks like something in the Alps. We used crampons and ice axes. It was tricky. There were no other tracks. Be careful.

June 7th, 2012, 10:55 pm #7

Headed up to Borah early morning Saturday to attempt the standard route, so I'll post my findings on the snow once we get back...I know that will be too late for what you need, but hopefully it will help anyone else looking at an early season climb:-)

Be safe,

Blake
DO YOU NEED SOMEONE TO GO ALONG. I CAN DO A DAY TRIP.
DOUG
941-8000 CEL

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 7th, 2012, 11:11 pm #8

June 8th, 2012, 12:33 am #9

Has this website come down to some nit-pickers?
Get over it.

June 8th, 2012, 6:05 pm #10

Borah's standard route was essentially snow free up to Chickenout ridge last Sunday. Then the snow began.

The last 200 feet of the ridge looks like something in the Alps. We used crampons and ice axes. It was tricky. There were no other tracks. Be careful.
Pat, thanks for the heads up. Apparently weather is really deteriorating this weekend, but we're still gonna take a shot and see how far we go.

We got to chicken out about this time last year, but didn't have crampons etc. so we turned back...more prepared this year so unless it's super sketchy we'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

Blake

Confirmation of reply: