Another Trundling Incident on Mt Borah

Another Trundling Incident on Mt Borah

Bob
Bob

July 28th, 2012, 1:48 pm #1

If any of you are up on Borah soon please take a picture of the summit log for July 25. If I could track down the idiots who threw the rocks down the East Face on Wednesday I would like to meet them in person. All morning we remarked on how clean the snow was and how quiet the face stayed until around noon when all hell broke loose. For 15 minutes in 15 to 30 second intervals we experienced some of the most horrific rock fall I have ever experienced anywhere in my life. I'm not taking one or two rock but hundreds. The sound of exploding rocks was so loud Wes and Kevin could hear it from one valley away on the North Face of Sac. As quickly as it started it ended and not another single rock fell all day unless we kicked it off ourselves. Luckily, we were up about 5 pitches and to the right of the main rock fall but one (basketball size) took a 45 degree bounce and was tracking straight at me but fell about 50 feet short of my belay stance. In a strange way it was kind of cool listening to the vrrrrrr, boom, tinkle because all of it was missing us but had we been on the Direct or at the bottom of the climb we would have been killed for certain. The only punishment I could see fit for this kind of behavior would be to force the guilty person or persons to walk off the mountain without their boots. We thought that perhaps a warning sign on the summit might be useful but that implies that the people who throw rocks have the ability to read and that might be a stretch.

Bob

Dan
Dan

July 28th, 2012, 2:18 pm #2

What is it with the trundling? Zach and I were heading up Mushroom Peak last weekend when we heard tons of rockfall on Gladiator Peak above us. Sure enough 3 or 4 dipshits were on the summit rolling rocks off the face that we later used to climb Gladiator Peak.

Bob
Bob

July 28th, 2012, 2:41 pm #3

I'm packing the next time I'm on a face like that. You throw rocks at me, I shoot bullets back at you. Maybe I hit you, maybe I don't. What's fair is fair as far as I'm concerned.

Bob

blake
blake

July 28th, 2012, 6:14 pm #4

I'll be up Borah on august 8th, ill grab a pic of the register. Honestly a sign would be a great idea, I think it doesn't even occur to a lot if idiots that there are other routes in use on borah. Hell maybe ill just put together a sign today and pack it up there next week. Wouldn't hurt!

July 28th, 2012, 8:53 pm #5

I was off the top at 8 am last year but heard of a similar problem. I commented on people climbing that mountain. Quite frankly, most people going up should not be on the mountain, unskilled, etc.

Glad to here you are ok, maybe someone going up should put a note up there reminding them that people climb the backside.

I think that why I stay away from that mountain, just to many people on the mountain.

Keep climbing

Bob
Bob

July 28th, 2012, 10:25 pm #6

Yup, it happened last year when Wes and Kevin were putting up the East Face Direct. I was sitting at the tarn in the East Face Cirque with my Nikons looking at the people on the summit when it happened. A toaster sized block missed Wes by about 20 feet. Two climbs in less than a year and both times someone could have been taken out. I consider it criminal behavior and I would press charges until I ran out of money to make a point if I could catch someone doing it. Then again, I have PTSD and might just go off the handle and that would be the end of the discussion right there on the spot. Remember I said I'm packing from now on and I consider it an act of self defense.

Bob

Bob
Bob

July 28th, 2012, 11:53 pm #7

I'll be up Borah on august 8th, ill grab a pic of the register. Honestly a sign would be a great idea, I think it doesn't even occur to a lot if idiots that there are other routes in use on borah. Hell maybe ill just put together a sign today and pack it up there next week. Wouldn't hurt!
Blake,

That is a most generous thing to do and some of us will really, really appreciate your effort. The North Face is starting to show ice and I'm sure there will be more climbers on the north side of the mountain soon. This has been suggested to the Forest Service but I don't think they yet realize what a problem this has become. It will as soon as they have to sling someone's body off the mountain in a helicopter.

A big thanks in advance for your effort. Take a picture of your sign while you're up there.

Bob

July 29th, 2012, 1:48 am #8

No worries!

July 29th, 2012, 11:01 pm #9

If any of you are up on Borah soon please take a picture of the summit log for July 25. If I could track down the idiots who threw the rocks down the East Face on Wednesday I would like to meet them in person. All morning we remarked on how clean the snow was and how quiet the face stayed until around noon when all hell broke loose. For 15 minutes in 15 to 30 second intervals we experienced some of the most horrific rock fall I have ever experienced anywhere in my life. I'm not taking one or two rock but hundreds. The sound of exploding rocks was so loud Wes and Kevin could hear it from one valley away on the North Face of Sac. As quickly as it started it ended and not another single rock fell all day unless we kicked it off ourselves. Luckily, we were up about 5 pitches and to the right of the main rock fall but one (basketball size) took a 45 degree bounce and was tracking straight at me but fell about 50 feet short of my belay stance. In a strange way it was kind of cool listening to the vrrrrrr, boom, tinkle because all of it was missing us but had we been on the Direct or at the bottom of the climb we would have been killed for certain. The only punishment I could see fit for this kind of behavior would be to force the guilty person or persons to walk off the mountain without their boots. We thought that perhaps a warning sign on the summit might be useful but that implies that the people who throw rocks have the ability to read and that might be a stretch.

Bob
I'm thinking if someone puts a sign on the summit, it will be the next thing thrown off the North or East Face.
All we need is to educate the public. There are already great looking perminant signs at the TH. Anyone know who put them there? Why not add a few words to them, or add one more sign. A simple phrase would do the job.

"Recently, Mount Borah is being climbed from all sides on all faces. Please avoid injuring fellow mountaineers and refrain from throwing any objects from off the mountain."

That should do it. I like how the term "fellow mountaineers" includes the person reading the sign. As if to say we're all climbers here. However there is the gender issue with the word fellow. Maybe we should swap out fellow and put "other" instead.
Thoughts?
Kevin

Sounds like an Eagle Project to me. Someone need their "Safety" merit badge, this would be a great project for that too.

Andrew
Andrew

July 30th, 2012, 1:44 pm #10

Yup, it happened last year when Wes and Kevin were putting up the East Face Direct. I was sitting at the tarn in the East Face Cirque with my Nikons looking at the people on the summit when it happened. A toaster sized block missed Wes by about 20 feet. Two climbs in less than a year and both times someone could have been taken out. I consider it criminal behavior and I would press charges until I ran out of money to make a point if I could catch someone doing it. Then again, I have PTSD and might just go off the handle and that would be the end of the discussion right there on the spot. Remember I said I'm packing from now on and I consider it an act of self defense.

Bob
That's great that you will be! I carry on peak climbs too for paranoia of wild animals but this gives me another (perhaps more legitimate) reason to be happy about the extra weight.

Confirmation of reply: