2016 dreams, desires, goals

2016 dreams, desires, goals

December 12th, 2015, 11:48 pm #1

2015 is almost over. And as the winter storms leave us stuck at home, cabin fever will soon set in. So what are your dreams for next year? The more info the better: peaks, routes, tops, photos, do it up big for those (us) needing to live vicariously. Or, a simple list. Put stars by the peaks to show your ratings

Mark
Mark

December 13th, 2015, 3:47 am #2

Maybe we can even combine this with some name that peak on some of these

This photo from south of the Snake River is in the Idaho range of Bigtooth Maple near Pocatello. Places near here I could probably photograph and convince people it was New England.

This photo is in the Idaho Range of Lyell's Larch but the only reasonable access is from a dirt road wholly in Montana

There is usually going to be a Sawtooth photo in the favorites for most any year and here is a 2015 one

Climbed this one (on the far left) as a true loop hike from one of Idaho's most scenic official campgrounds; highly recommended!

This one is a stone's throw from another official campground less known for scenery and more known for being near the birthplace of one of Idaho's most rad rivers. Elephant head flowers are really awesome.

Other people on the forum have talked up this drainage recently, more recent than the lovely June morning seen here.

Most Idaho big mountain skiers will probably know where this one was taken from.

This unnamed minor peak (the one I am standing on) has a truly magnificent view but it takes a worthy vehicle to get to a suitable parking spot for a reasonable (at least for a few crazies) start time for a June sunrise from the summit.

This is from the north ridge of Comet Mountain in a mountain range in a neighboring state. Wildflowers galore!

And lastly, this is the outlet of a charming lake with two campgrounds in northwest Wyoming that Dan has been to, or at least very near.

SummitGirl
SummitGirl

December 13th, 2015, 4:39 am #3

Your photos...no words. Absolutely beautiful!

We have leftovers from our 2015 list that didn't get done: Saddle, Adams, Porphery, Three Fingers Rock Butte...stuff you all made look fun...Steve has his other two 12ers and a few big peaks he still wants: Rainier, Whitney, Owen. Even though they are over climbed, I would still like a few more 14ers...like Massive and a few in the San Juans, e.g., Wetterhorn, in particular. With my trips to Montana, I have some high interest in the Bitterroot peaks, and then there are the Canadian peaks that Super Dave got us drooling over. Thanks for that! The Invisible, Warren, Sunset Peak triangle looks interesting to me too. I'd also like to get into the Sawtooths more. Really, I just need a Lopez 100+ year.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 13th, 2015, 5:57 am #4

2015 is almost over. And as the winter storms leave us stuck at home, cabin fever will soon set in. So what are your dreams for next year? The more info the better: peaks, routes, tops, photos, do it up big for those (us) needing to live vicariously. Or, a simple list. Put stars by the peaks to show your ratings
Tour the Soldier Mts on a MTB and bag adjacent peaks along the way. I can't put stars by or rate them (peaks/routes) until after climbing and becoming familiar with them.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 13th, 2015, 6:01 am #5

Maybe we can even combine this with some name that peak on some of these

This photo from south of the Snake River is in the Idaho range of Bigtooth Maple near Pocatello. Places near here I could probably photograph and convince people it was New England.

This photo is in the Idaho Range of Lyell's Larch but the only reasonable access is from a dirt road wholly in Montana

There is usually going to be a Sawtooth photo in the favorites for most any year and here is a 2015 one

Climbed this one (on the far left) as a true loop hike from one of Idaho's most scenic official campgrounds; highly recommended!

This one is a stone's throw from another official campground less known for scenery and more known for being near the birthplace of one of Idaho's most rad rivers. Elephant head flowers are really awesome.

Other people on the forum have talked up this drainage recently, more recent than the lovely June morning seen here.

Most Idaho big mountain skiers will probably know where this one was taken from.

This unnamed minor peak (the one I am standing on) has a truly magnificent view but it takes a worthy vehicle to get to a suitable parking spot for a reasonable (at least for a few crazies) start time for a June sunrise from the summit.

This is from the north ridge of Comet Mountain in a mountain range in a neighboring state. Wildflowers galore!

And lastly, this is the outlet of a charming lake with two campgrounds in northwest Wyoming that Dan has been to, or at least very near.
Regardless, stunning!

Mark
Mark

December 14th, 2015, 12:31 am #6

Ideas I have for 2016 are:

Avoid cabin fever at all costs by hopefully skiing more than last year. It surely can't be any worse than last year??? But I guess the Colorado Plateau will be in range for poor skiing backup from where I will be working in Utah this winter.

Coming up with a White Clouds traverse similar to Super Dave's would be quite fun.

Getting into the Tango peaks would also be fun. I've puzzled over loops and traverse options in those parts for years, but have yet to take action.

I've always wanted to do a fly in assisted traverse of the Bighorn Crags from Big Creek as well.

I have two twelver trips remaining but I am interested in an east side route on Idaho that is better for high summer and I might as well corn ski as much of Church/Donaldson as possible. Maybe this year but there is no rush.

Also it is time to corn ski the Soldiers this year.

The Bitterroots during larch peak are becoming a tradition and a late July huckleberry mission somewhere in NW Montana will get more important once I eat the last of saved huckleberries.

This year I failed to get over to the North Cascades but that won't happen next year.

Trying to get a Splattski tour of some nice McCall stuff would be fun, too.

And maybe another spring Cody tour of some western Wyoming objective.

Canyoneering will have to happen a couple of times, but this is likely to happen in Utah.

Maybe another climbing trip in the Winds and/or Tetons.

And these are just the ones off the top of my head.
So much geography and so little time!

December 14th, 2015, 4:49 am #7

Mark, many thanks for the White Cloud beta you shared during the spring outing. That was the last key to my puzzle in putting together that big traverse.

I've also studied the Tango Peak several times trying to come up with multi-day options. The best idea I've seen starts at Loon Creek GS, up Loon Creek, across to Crimson Lake, down Pioneer Creek. Unfortunately, quite a bit of the mileage is at low elevation down in the valleys, and several parts of it burned in the Halstead Fire.

December 14th, 2015, 4:57 pm #8

Ideas I have for 2016 are:

Avoid cabin fever at all costs by hopefully skiing more than last year. It surely can't be any worse than last year??? But I guess the Colorado Plateau will be in range for poor skiing backup from where I will be working in Utah this winter.

Coming up with a White Clouds traverse similar to Super Dave's would be quite fun.

Getting into the Tango peaks would also be fun. I've puzzled over loops and traverse options in those parts for years, but have yet to take action.

I've always wanted to do a fly in assisted traverse of the Bighorn Crags from Big Creek as well.

I have two twelver trips remaining but I am interested in an east side route on Idaho that is better for high summer and I might as well corn ski as much of Church/Donaldson as possible. Maybe this year but there is no rush.

Also it is time to corn ski the Soldiers this year.

The Bitterroots during larch peak are becoming a tradition and a late July huckleberry mission somewhere in NW Montana will get more important once I eat the last of saved huckleberries.

This year I failed to get over to the North Cascades but that won't happen next year.

Trying to get a Splattski tour of some nice McCall stuff would be fun, too.

And maybe another spring Cody tour of some western Wyoming objective.

Canyoneering will have to happen a couple of times, but this is likely to happen in Utah.

Maybe another climbing trip in the Winds and/or Tetons.

And these are just the ones off the top of my head.
So much geography and so little time!

Got 2 weeks off coming up over the holidays so have to dust off the old tele's and do my first trip up Heinen.

Snow hike up the newly named (official) Cervedia.

Complete last two 12er's before I hit 6-oh.

Finally make it to the summit of Mt Hood (3rd times the charm)

The usual 3-4 day Sawtooth and White Clouds trips.

5 day trip to Rawah Wilderness, Colorado

Might as well do Longs Peak since I'm there

..and Beyond

Mt Shasta, Mt Rainer, Collegiate Peaks in Colo

Hopefully I won't need my 4th knee surgery after all this

Keep on keeping on..

pat
pat

December 14th, 2015, 10:37 pm #9

As 2015 comes to a close and storm clouds swirl around Bogus Basin, it is fun to reflect on the past year and look with anticipation to 2016. I am currently settling down for a long winter's nap after my second spinal fusion.

I feel blessed to have been able to return to rock climbing in 2015. Looking ahead, I would like to dial back a bit and instead knock off some of the 11’ers that I have been saving. I would also like to do one or two technical mountaineering routes and learn ultra-light backpacking. Trading a 50 pound pack for a 15 pounder sounds awfully good to me.

Hope you all have a nice winter.

Adventure awaits…

Mark
Mark

December 15th, 2015, 3:32 am #10

Mark, many thanks for the White Cloud beta you shared during the spring outing. That was the last key to my puzzle in putting together that big traverse.

I've also studied the Tango Peak several times trying to come up with multi-day options. The best idea I've seen starts at Loon Creek GS, up Loon Creek, across to Crimson Lake, down Pioneer Creek. Unfortunately, quite a bit of the mileage is at low elevation down in the valleys, and several parts of it burned in the Halstead Fire.
I've considered starting there or at Hindman lake or at WF Yankee fork. Going up the little valley just west of Cabin Creek Peak, connecting to Knapp lakes, going down past Fish lake instead of horseshoe are easier ideas. The harder one, which might be too much, is going up a hanging valley above Loon creek and then traversing south to Crimson past all those larger lakes on the east side of the Tango divide. Want to get some? Your nice photos from your The General and others hike made me want some! Alas I forget just where in those parts burned. If Knapp basin and Fish lake burned I might be less enthused. The east side I remember was spared. My brother has been to Crimson Lake and says it is cool. I would also probably want to try about five peaks including Cabin Creek Peak.

Confirmation of reply: