what a weekend too

what a weekend too

July 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm #1

fantastic, it really is a simple as that.

however, i'll bore anyone who can be bothered with my opinion on it

getting there/getting away

friday was a bit mental i have to say. made the mistake of stopping in town for a few drinks and stayed longer than probably should have at thomas's chop house. trams were mobbed when we decided to head to heaton, eventually got a bury one and, packed in like cattle, flower of scotland got an airing! saturday got altrincham tram all the way but had to change on the sunday. piss easy after an early schoolboy error. getting away on the friday was difficult and involved two trams and a car got back by 2.30. realised the error of our ways and bolted during the fireworks got onto trams almost immediately, on saturday straight to altrincham and sunday piccadilly then taxi for a very reasonable thirty quid.

bars/food

friday, only went once to the one on the left which got shut early, totally disorganised, just a mad scrum to get to and from the bar about 20 deep. better on the sat and on the sun we were hospitality which was great goodie bag too. no problem getting food and i charmed the girl serving to give us an extra falafel

bogs

lots of people pissing anywhere come sunday

the stone roses

totally amazing!

was quite far back on the friday as we were late and had to meet other late people. sound was wee bit wind affected and they seemed a wee bit nervous, i was too. despite this, they were unbelievably good! mind bogglingly good! anyone who hadn't seen them before might even think they'd always been this good. those of us who have thought thank you for repaying my faith. glasgow green was 22 years ago, it was good but heaton eclipsed it, on all three nights. saturday and sunday in the front pit the atmosphere was sizzling, brilliant sound good view of the band doing their stuff and brilliant visuals which worked really well (what were the letters which from time to time drifted over the images? eh burny?) some folks were mental, particularly the guy who wanted to crowd surf!

adored, mersey, sss, sally, what a start. sure ian was a bit wobbly on wap/syd and on waterfall/don't stop, standing here was brilliant. love spreads was nailed, so good to see/hear reni play it and ian's rap is cheesy genius. i was slightly dreading mos in advance but the contribution of the crowd and the general euphoria made it glorious. tsls was a bit iffy at times, probably at it's brilliant best only on the sunday night but it might have just been the mid set dip, before before things started going upwards on a rapid trajectory after that. fools gold just works so much better live now that it's a guitar and drum driven funky wild monster of a dirty c*cksucker that's messing with your sister type of jam. something's burning smouldered brilliantly. what a way to end though, did the roses ever close a set with five songs that good before? emd was a bit rubbish but i'll forgive it for being the foreplay to resurrection. after mos, tito was incendiary, sbtd explosive and iatr downright satanic! if you've been a fan of the roses since 1988, the music, the men, the myths, the mystery, the mayhem.......this was heaven on earth, a feast of the senses and the emotions to savour and to gorge on.

ian was ian. he's always been that good

john was amazing, especially on the saturday night. don't get me wrong, i preferred the guitar hero in him that stood sullen at the edge of the stage barely moving too, but it's a different show now. he is required to act the part of the rock guitarist, it's what he is.

mani was a bit understated at times. maybe the toby jugs are creating negative vibes! at times he looked like he had a hernia! can't fault his playing though he was bang on it every night.

reni..........reni, reni, reni.........welcome back, the others couldn't have done this without you. the fans wouldn't have done it without you. his playing throughout was out of this world. whether he was grooving with mani or rocking with john he never missed a beat and he was controlling more than the tempo. he's like a combination of beckenbaur, cruyff, pele and maradona in a drum playing musical maniac perhaps the very definition of a "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma". he didn't stop drumming for 18 years, that's unpossible!

anyway, that was my weekend, what did you get up to?
Last edited by mr_fox on July 3rd, 2012, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
Chris

July 3rd, 2012, 10:03 pm #2

Agree with every word.

Only went on the Saturday, absolutely magic. Never thought I'd see it, never thought it would be so good. Still can't believe how tight they were and how much they nailed it. Tears in your eyes stuff. Finally it all comes together.

So many reviewers in the press are using Heaton to get all sorts of bile about the band off their chests, judging them against the media-puppet personality-less clones around.

What great musicians they are (is Reni even from this planet!). Effortlessly brilliant. Though to be fair, I guess a lot of rehersal time had been put in.

Fireworks were a nice touch.

Had luck getting back, was back in town before midnight, the city shuttle buses worked out.

On another note, I don't expect the Roses will allow any footage from T this weekend to be broadcast. Good for them tho, it's good to do it on your own terms and not play the game.

So yes, what a weekend, the like of which I doubt we'll ever see again. Glad we were part of it.

July 3rd, 2012, 11:19 pm #3

friday was a bit mental i have to say. made the mistake of stopping in town for a few drinks and stayed longer than probably should have at thomas's chop house. trams were mobbed when we decided to head to heaton, eventually got a bury one and, packed in like cattle, flower of scotland got an airing! saturday got altrincham tram all the way but had to change on the sunday. piss easy after an early schoolboy error. getting away on the friday was difficult and involved two trams and a car got back by 2.30. realised the error of our ways and bolted during the fireworks got onto trams almost immediately, on saturday straight to altrincham and sunday piccadilly then taxi for a very reasonable thirty quid.

bars/food

friday, only went once to the one on the left which got shut early, totally disorganised, just a mad scrum to get to and from the bar about 20 deep. better on the sat and on the sun we were hospitality which was great goodie bag too. no problem getting food and i charmed the girl serving to give us an extra falafel

bogs

the stone roses

totally amazing!

was quite far back on the friday as we were late and had to meet other late people. sound was wee bit wind affected and they seemed a wee bit nervous, i was too. despite this, they were unbelievably good! mind bogglingly good! anyone who hadn't seen them before might even think they'd always been this good. those of us who have thought thank you for repaying my faith. glasgow green was 22 years ago, it was good but heaton eclipsed it, on all three nights. saturday and sunday in the front pit the atmosphere was sizzling, brilliant sound good view of the band doing their stuff and brilliant visuals which worked really well (what were the letters which from time to time drifted over the images? eh burny?) some folks were mental, particularly the guy who wanted to crowd surf!

adored, mersey, sss, sally, what a start. sure ian was a bit wobbly on wap/syd and on waterfall/don't stop, standing here was brilliant. love spreads was nailed, so good to see/hear reni play it and ian's rap is cheesy genius. i was slightly dreading mos in advance but the contribution of the crowd and the general euphoria made it glorious. tsls was a bit iffy at times, probably at it's brilliant best only on the sunday night but it might have just been the mid set dip, before before things started going upwards on a rapid trajectory after that. fools gold just works so much better live now that it's a guitar and drum driven funky wild monster of a dirty c*cksucker that's messing with your sister type of jam. something's burning smouldered brilliantly. what a way to end though, did the roses ever close a set with five songs that good before? emd was a bit rubbish but i'll forgive it for being the foreplay to resurrection. after mos, tito was incendiary, sbtd explosive and iatr downright satanic! if you've been a fan of the roses since 1988, the music, the men, the myths, the mystery, the mayhem.......this was heaven on earth, a feast of the senses and the emotions to savour and to gorge on.

john was amazing, especially on the saturday night. don't get me wrong, i preferred the guitar hero in him that stood sullen at the edge of the stage barely moving too, but it's a different show now. he is required to act the part of the rock guitarist, it's what he is.

mani was a bit understated at times. maybe the toby jugs are creating negative vibes! at times he looked like he had a hernia! can't fault his playing though he was bang on it every night.

reni..........reni, reni, reni.........welcome back, the others couldn't have done this without you. the fans wouldn't have done it without you. his playing throughout was out of this world. whether he was grooving with mani or rocking with john he never missed a beat and he was controlling more than the tempo. he's like a combination of beckenbaur, cruyff, pele and maradona in a drum playing musical maniac perhaps the very definition of a "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma". he didn't stop drumming for 18 years, that's unpossible!

IT WAS FUCKING ACE!!!!

July 3rd, 2012, 11:34 pm #4

If I was to pick out a favourite bit it would be the Saturday version of Don't Stop. Unbelievable.

July 3rd, 2012, 11:51 pm #5

bars/food

bogs

the stone roses

totally amazing!

Yeah! sunday was incredible :)They sounded stunning. I knew it was going to be special but this was something else. Ruined a lovely pair of sambas though but fuckit.

Anyone who thought heaton park was disappointing has no soul. Met some absolute diamond people both young and old as well.

Phoenix on thursday, don't think the atmosphere will be even close to heaton park, but still should be great...be there. Anyone who needs transport advice to the park let us know.

July 4th, 2012, 10:25 am #6

If I was to pick out a favourite bit it would be the Saturday version of Don't Stop. Unbelievable.
they deserved this and they delivered for the fans big style

July 4th, 2012, 11:11 am #7

100%. I think the 'haters' with the long knives have seen their arses.

Mr F
Mr F

July 4th, 2012, 11:42 am #8

That and Standing Here were fucking unbelievable. I will die a happy man.

July 4th, 2012, 11:52 am #9

my favourites were love spreads, made of stone and fools gold. but they were all brilliant.

regarding the support which i overlooked in my previous post.

friday only saw primal scream really, they were okay nothing special. i take it that was deb goodge ex mbv on bass

saturday, hollie cook was good, prof green was actually okay, i know his stuff as fox jnr is into him. wailers were great, perfect for all three days. went and got drinks/something to eat from the mexican stall when beady eye were on so didn't pay too much attention, liam's a cockend and they were average.

sunday, liked dirty north but think they found it difficult. justice tonight band were actually really good, i'd never seen mick jones play clash songs before and john robb appeared for bankrobber i think it was. wailers again, perfect. plan b was actually pretty good imo. i especially like ill manors

Stella
Stella

July 4th, 2012, 12:09 pm #10

Plan B is cack mate, I'd never heard him before Sunday but he is shocking, like Danny dyer fronting lp bizkit. If that was bad enough his beat box pal was hilarious! They were so bad we were bent over laughing! It's not that they are shite it's they/he is meant to be cutting edge! Ha ha it made me download the beatbox guy from police academy though!

Please explain what you think is good about him-was it his eyes clenched shut rendition of seals kiss from a rose?

Ha ha fkin woeful same as that twit proff green but I missed that.

Confirmation of reply: