The Roses made their choice

The Roses made their choice

Jim
Jim

August 6th, 2017, 3:17 pm #1

The Roses could be huge again if they really wanted it. But they don't. They could be friends/allies again if they wanted. But they don't. They could be great but they choose to be mediocre.

stiv
stiv

August 6th, 2017, 5:35 pm #2

true facts.

August 7th, 2017, 4:53 pm #3

The Roses could be huge again if they really wanted it. But they don't. They could be friends/allies again if they wanted. But they don't. They could be great but they choose to be mediocre.
I don't think this is what they'd have chosen for themselves.

They did what they could and, yet again, it didn't really work out creatively. Again.

They had a great year - eighteen months, maybe, from mid 88 - late 90-ish. Maybe less than that. They don't know what happened then, or they'd have done it again.

Their time has passed, and had quite a long time ago. Didn't have it, had it, lost it. Perhaps we should have listened to Sick Boy in the 90s.

Jim
Jim

August 8th, 2017, 5:35 pm #4

No, they just don't want to work hard. They used to work hard in the beginning but now they can't be bothered.

August 8th, 2017, 5:43 pm #5

I don't think they've been that bothered since about 1989, personally.

On the other hand, I don't think someone cracking the whip would make any difference. They grafted because they wanted to way back when.

I don't think hard work is any replacement for inspiration, which is what they lack.

Same as most artists, isn't it? Except most never have an imperial phase.

What bands or singers have consistently been great throughout a long ish career? Particularly coming back with something as good as, or better, than the best of their classic material?

Maybe someone has, but I can't think of any. They've done their best and - to an extent - realised they don't have it anymore. Not creatively as a unit, anyway.

I've not been to any reunion gigs, but what I've heard hasn't made me regret it.

Diminishing returns since Fools Gold, if you ask me.

Joseph Heller, when asked why he'd not reached the heights of Catch-22 in his following books used to reply, 'No, I haven't written anything as good as that, and neither has anyone else.'

Which is how I feel about The Roses, currently.

It's not for lack of trying.
Last edited by pumpo on August 8th, 2017, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiv
stiv

August 8th, 2017, 5:53 pm #6

is that right though? it seems ian was very very keen to work under the roses name and was then very angry that reni had put the kibosh on it. can't blame him - he might now get one short uk arena tour that doesn't sell that well off the back of the reunion, but it'll soon be back down to o2 academy venues and poor album sales.

what i think is interesting is that leading up to the etihad gigs, rumour was spread that ian was going solo because both reni and squire were dragging their heels and weren't keen. then a year later, apparently it's just reni. seems like everyone but ian knew the songs were shit, and john left reni to take the blame - what a twat it's at least 15 years since either ian or john released anything worth hearing, so it's not surprising they struggled to cobble anything together.

Fran
Fran

August 8th, 2017, 6:18 pm #7

No, they just don't want to work hard. They used to work hard in the beginning but now they can't be bothered.
John worked hard to produce most of the second coming, on his own.

Ian worked hard when he was a solo artist

If those two could come together again, things could work.

Mani is a consistently awesome bass guru, Reni can bang the drums. Give him some tracks he lies and it could work.

Hebongsthezylophone
Hebongsthezylophone

August 8th, 2017, 7:47 pm #8

As a group even given the perfect conditions great producer, songs I guess they'd fuck up again they work too slow as a unit. The court case 90-92 made no difference at all in delaying 2nd coming. They should ve just knocked an album out in 2013 something spontaneous and catchy to represent their current sound remember "time is now do it now" instead of coming back with 2 good songs in 2016 but by their standards average songs

August 8th, 2017, 9:35 pm #9

is that right though? it seems ian was very very keen to work under the roses name and was then very angry that reni had put the kibosh on it. can't blame him - he might now get one short uk arena tour that doesn't sell that well off the back of the reunion, but it'll soon be back down to o2 academy venues and poor album sales.

what i think is interesting is that leading up to the etihad gigs, rumour was spread that ian was going solo because both reni and squire were dragging their heels and weren't keen. then a year later, apparently it's just reni. seems like everyone but ian knew the songs were shit, and john left reni to take the blame - what a twat it's at least 15 years since either ian or john released anything worth hearing, so it's not surprising they struggled to cobble anything together.
Individual work ethics aren't the same thing as a collective work ethic though.

It's hard to know: what we've heard haven't set the world on fire and apparently Reni wasn't into them.

Perhaps Reni viewed AFO and BT as being turds that wouldn't benefit from polishing. He's not a songwriter, but he knows what he likes, maybe?

Mani, I think, would go along with more or less anything they did. I suspect Brown would too. Squire? Who knows?

They don't agree on much, musically, or so it appears.

Maybe it's a shame, maybe it's for the best. Either way, this is what we're getting.

In terms of 'work', isn't it often the case that the things that people pore over tends to not be as good as that which suddenly appears fully formed from nowhere.

'Not Guilty', the George Harrison song (not) on the White Album had More work than anything, except possibly Ob-La-Di ( yeah, again...). Nowhere Man just came to Lennon, more or less fully formed. I'm. It saying Nowhere Man is the best thing in the world - although I do like it a lot - but it's better than Not Guilty or Ob-La-bastard-Di.

On the other hand, Strawberry Fields Forever is better than all of those three songs put together, and that was a right pain in the arse to get right. Even then Lennon didn't like it.

Work? Maybe not the answer. Not always, anyway.

August 8th, 2017, 9:45 pm #10

John worked hard to produce most of the second coming, on his own.

Ian worked hard when he was a solo artist

If those two could come together again, things could work.

Mani is a consistently awesome bass guru, Reni can bang the drums. Give him some tracks he lies and it could work.
*Give him some tracks he lies and it could work.*

Therein lies the rub, doesn't it! Ironically.

Easier said than done, apparently.

Confirmation of reply: