Hhhgfddss
Hhhgfddss

November 29th, 2017, 6:10 pm #21

I bet you're a right laugh at Christmas Pumpo haha - easily the nearest thing to TSR and the most interesting tune on SC along with Daybreak.
TSLS is the nearest SC gets to TSR. STTM is garbage. Much like most of SC.

G
G

November 29th, 2017, 6:53 pm #22

TSLS is, superficially at least, a close cousin to the output of '88/'89,in as much as it sounds like a poor B side from that era, dressed up in expensive production. But the chorus - with it's clunking melody line - is reminiscent of a '90's boy band & marks it out, for me, as one of the more detestable tracks on SC.

In terms of spirit, I'd go for LS. It's the closest to the sort of immaculate construction that echo's that of the debut. A fair amount of thought seems to have gone into the structuring of that track, in respect of the way the guitars gel with the rhythm section & lyrics &, despite being pure "70's hard rock, it seems to avoid the MOR clichés of some of the other songs.
I'd also chuck in Ride On, again in terms of spirit.

November 29th, 2017, 6:56 pm #23

Pfff.

In some ways, it's the furthest thing from anything on TSR.

It sounds like what it is: a vaguely organised jam, with no melody at all.

That sort of thing might work out for some bands, but not really The Roses, whose entire way of working around the time of TSR was the opposite of that. Guitar lines meticulously arranged, melodies worked out fastidiously on keyboards, lyrics worked and reworked so that every single word was worth the breath it took to sing it. And arranged to within an inch of the songs' lives.

If you like it, that's fair enough, but there's no point pretending that STTM bears any resemblance to anything - melodically, harmonically, lyrically or spiritually on TSR, because it doesn't.
I was more concerned with the Wonderwall line.

And i think the do do do do do bit on Straight To The Man is a fine melody.

Morgan
Morgan

November 30th, 2017, 12:45 pm #24

TSLS and STTM both share something in common...the singing of noises rather than words. 'Oooowwwwooo' and "Dooodoododododo...dodododoodo". Poor.

November 30th, 2017, 10:42 pm #25

I was more concerned with the Wonderwall line.

And i think the do do do do do bit on Straight To The Man is a fine melody.
Yep. It's right up there with Black Lace's "Do The Conga" in the melodic stakes.

December 1st, 2017, 6:26 pm #26

Another top tune.

December 1st, 2017, 9:44 pm #27

Ironically, since thinking about it, I've had 'I Love Your Smile' burbling 'round my head since I mentioned Black Lace, which is probably closer to STTM's do do do bit.

December 2nd, 2017, 6:33 am #28

I once had a front tooth knocked put after having a coin thrown at me and later that evening in the ‘fun pub’ we were in my friends kept requesting ‘I Love Your Smile’. Great days, can’t go back etc etc

JoJ
JoJ

December 15th, 2017, 10:56 am #29

^^^ this
Daybreak still sounds amazing as well.

And Love Spreads and Driving South are great.

Hats off to Breaking Into Heaven, particularly the intro.

Actually it's all good except for TSLS, Good Times and How Do You Sleep.

Tears isn't really Roses but it's a good song if you like your Zeppelin, which I do.

JoJ
JoJ

December 15th, 2017, 10:59 am #30

I once had a front tooth knocked put after having a coin thrown at me and later that evening in the ‘fun pub’ we were in my friends kept requesting ‘I Love Your Smile’. Great days, can’t go back etc etc
Not really related but I spent a week in hospital in 1998 for saying "Squire's a dick, Brown rules!" to the wrong people.

Confirmation of reply: