G
G

November 27th, 2017, 9:23 pm #11

Actually, I got that completely wrong. It was Steve McQueen ( director, artist ) not Alexander. And he didn't play the Roses, it was Miles Davis's Blue in Green. Another favourite of mine & why I got in a muddle.
Oh, and it's Zadie not Sadie & Fool's Gold was the track.

So, from pointless to utterly meaningless.

Stella
Stella

November 28th, 2017, 9:08 am #12

I liked how Ian changed the opening line to 'Ive been watching Kojak for the best years of my life'. Loads of highlights on that tour and it was played in previous years but it all came together there.

DC
DC

November 28th, 2017, 12:04 pm #13

the highlight of the album is that long wait (hearing a snippet of the song) and intro to BIH.

I like Tightrope but I can appreciate the lyrics are 'meh'.

I have a strange liking for How Do You Sleep.

Looking forward to listening to your edit. Nice one.

G
G

November 28th, 2017, 1:17 pm #14

I liked how Ian changed the opening line to 'Ive been watching Kojak for the best years of my life'. Loads of highlights on that tour and it was played in previous years but it all came together there.
Ha - didn't know about the Kojak lyric. Yup, in the context of that reunion, they were at the top of their game during those Etihad dates. No live album though. Fuck knows why.

November 28th, 2017, 5:00 pm #15

Straight to the Man is great, it's also the closest to anything on TSR lp and if you don't get it then it's Wonderwall for you.

Kind regards
^^^ this

November 28th, 2017, 6:38 pm #16

Pfff.

In some ways, it's the furthest thing from anything on TSR.

It sounds like what it is: a vaguely organised jam, with no melody at all.

That sort of thing might work out for some bands, but not really The Roses, whose entire way of working around the time of TSR was the opposite of that. Guitar lines meticulously arranged, melodies worked out fastidiously on keyboards, lyrics worked and reworked so that every single word was worth the breath it took to sing it. And arranged to within an inch of the songs' lives.

If you like it, that's fair enough, but there's no point pretending that STTM bears any resemblance to anything - melodically, harmonically, lyrically or spiritually on TSR, because it doesn't.
Last edited by pumpo on November 28th, 2017, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stella
Stella

November 28th, 2017, 7:51 pm #17

I bet you're a right laugh at Christmas Pumpo haha - easily the nearest thing to TSR and the most interesting tune on SC along with Daybreak.

Stella
Stella

November 28th, 2017, 7:58 pm #18

Ha - didn't know about the Kojak lyric. Yup, in the context of that reunion, they were at the top of their game during those Etihad dates. No live album though. Fuck knows why.
Maybe a reference to the ageing crowd? Id love a live LP - all those dicky SC era live CDs and nothing from this tour seems daft....especially in light of a lack of new music. Fuckers!

Stella
Stella

November 28th, 2017, 8:02 pm #19

November 29th, 2017, 4:25 pm #20

I bet you're a right laugh at Christmas Pumpo haha - easily the nearest thing to TSR and the most interesting tune on SC along with Daybreak.
Well, I made you laugh, didn't I, you great herbert?

Confirmation of reply: