October 17th, 2017, 10:27 pm #31

As I've said, I quite like it.

What it wasn't, was weighed down with expectation. At least not by me; I'm pleasantly surprised.

Which I can't honestly say about The Roses. I daresay the crippling expectations have had a fair effect on the productivity. That's the price of being good in the first pace, I suppose. Again, not something I'd level at either of the Gallaghers.
The lyrics. For fucks sake.

david
david

October 18th, 2017, 8:32 am #32

They should write together again, would like to see John turn up at the LG tour and the pair of them play “love me & leave me” , fantastic tune which we only ever hear cris helmet attempt to sing. Liam would make it sound so much better!
'love me and leave me' was shite sub lennon bollox

October 18th, 2017, 10:33 am #33

Which was a total rip off of the theme tune to Storybook International.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IfHJgZptH-w

October 18th, 2017, 4:14 pm #34

The lyrics. For fucks sake.
I know what you mean. The lyrics aren't very good, mostly. Some of them are horrible. I was surprised to see that Chinatown wasn't written by Liam himself, because they're dreadful.

On the other hand, I'm inclined to think that Liam might have some hidden depths.

If someone had written, I don't know, smartarse lyrics or literary lyrics, I can't see Liam carrying it off. Not that pop lyrics have to be poetry - I don't think they are, really; not Bob Dylan either - to be good.

I've mentioned Paper Crown and, lyrically, I think it's pretty good. Most un-Gallagheresque, I thought, but again, I think he can sing psychedelic lyrics nicely, because he is a bit psychedelic. If we're going to think about literary merit, while he didn't write the lyrics, what are they?

It"s an extended metaphor relating to the temporary and superficial nature of success, with a bit of an acid tongue about it. It's no 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Positively 4th St' or 'I Am The Resurrection' - or any number of finger pointing songs The Roses did so well, but it's not bad and he doesn't sound like he struggles to convey the message in it. Melodically, it's reminiscent of early 70s guitar pop and the instrumentation lacks a bit of personality, but I suppose it's a solo record isn't it?

Bearing in mind that Oasis' lyrics were almost always shit, I consider some of the album as a big step in the right direction, even if he didn't write them, he had enough about him to accept them and do a good job of it. Mind you, he accepted 'Take me to Chinatown, show me that you know some places,' as well and that's just she-iiiiitt-eh.

Ihgvivibi
Ihgvivibi

October 18th, 2017, 4:55 pm #35

'love me and leave me' was shite sub lennon bollox
It’s fucking shite

Byebye
Byebye

October 18th, 2017, 7:53 pm #36

I can't believe the praise Liam is receiving for his new material. Fair enough he's put his neck on the line but rumour is he needed the cash. His music is dull as fuck. It's 90's indie music by numbers. I mean how fucking rock n roll is getting someone to write your lyrics. I like the chap, great frontman. His material is for spotty indie kids.
I do love Noel's new song though.

As for the roses.
They two singles were way too rushed. AFO only sounds epic at full blast on a decent stereo which says it all about the production. I like it though. Hi - energy pop. BT I still love. Baggy by design and provides the desired affect.

October 18th, 2017, 8:20 pm #37

Hmm. It sounds a bit unfair:

Liam's record sounds like the era he was big in, the mid 90s and that's bad.

The Roses record sounds like the era they were big in, the early 90s and that's good.

How does that work?

Neither of them sound very modern but I doubt that's what the fan base want anyway.

Some of Liam's record, musically, is dull. But, as someone said further up, AFO and BT aren't very adventurous either.

All of them have played it fairly safe, Liam the least because he'd not put out a solo record before and it was expected to be shit. Maybe that's why he's doing best out them at the moment.

At least he's had a go and stuck his neck out by putting an album out, regardless of his financial situation.

Which is more than you can say for The Roses, isn't it? They've bottled it.

Bye bye
Bye bye

October 19th, 2017, 6:07 pm #38

Hard to disagree mate.
He's put his neck on the line the roses have bottled it.
Also both artists music is their brand and they are hardly going to commit financial suicide by attempting to rebrand themselves.
Like I said fair play to Liam his music is definitely listenable I'm just not so sure it's going to be lauded as much in years to come. To me it's like the verve without the verve if you know what I mean.
There is also no doubt that Liam knows how to play the media game tweeting every day. His plastic rivalry with him and his brother, blur v oasis as an marketing ploy sort of thing.
He's desperate for that reunion tour payday but noel is holding out so far.

Stella
Stella

October 19th, 2017, 9:26 pm #39

I don't recall the Beatles being compared to the monkees - Liam Gallagher indeed, he's perfect for his market and that's certainly not spotty indie kids, it's all those wankers into Billy Ray Cyrus and U2 when the Roses were around 89/90 - the late to the party twats at there first gigs aged 30, all those dicks throwing piss t concerts. I've heard bits, it sounds well aimed at a simple market, genius in many ways but musically? Nah he's a a fake like his goon brother and also anyone in Blur.

stiv
stiv

October 19th, 2017, 10:24 pm #40

where do you get this shit from?

by and large the people buying liam gallagher's crap solo stuff are the same people who'd buy any new roses release. the roses don't have a higher quality of gig goer - most of them think that oasis, paul weller and kasabian are gods. they probably also think blossoms and the courteeners are "quality".

and liam's solo stuff you could easily imagine harry styles singing it all. noel's solo stuff is dull too, not surprising when you look at oasis' post be here now output. albarn has always pissed all over gallagher in the songwriting department. i find the deluded regional bias in the north west especially embarrassing. madferrit! i'm northern me. int shameless brill!?

Confirmation of reply: