tHEhEDGE
tHEhEDGE

October 17th, 2017, 12:13 pm #21

Undecided me.

I was team Noel but, I’m gradually leaning towards team LG now!

Can we have a quick poll, a simple NG or LG will suffice.
Liam's album is bland and pedestrian while Noel's amply shows the risks of the "fling as much shit at the wall as possible and see what sticks" approach. An absolute mess. If only there was some way they could meet in the middle.

October 17th, 2017, 3:40 pm #22

I've not heard Noel's, apart from the single.

My issue with Noel is that he's not much of a singer. He's a one trick pony, hit the note and hang onto it, sounding earnest.

I suspect that there'll be an Oasis reunion of sorts, now that Liam appears to be able to collaborate with outsiders, I expect he might move on to collllaborating with the insider in this situation - Noel.

As a result. They can go on about how it's not just a trip down memory lane because it'll be a new chapter that isn't Jazz Odyssey and then everyone'll be happy.

Mind you, I thought The Roses would put out an album on the lines of post experience Hendrix and that went well, didn't it?

October 17th, 2017, 3:49 pm #23

To be fair, the Roses might have benefited from a bit of inside input if the Reni no-show rumours are true. Not to mention that possibly both tunes, & certainly BT, sound like they're effectively Brown solo efforts.
Well, there is that. The drums and bass on AFO are pub rock shite. Beautiful Thing's not so quite so bad.

I don't think Reni or Mani have ever shown any signs of writing anything of much value, unless we're counting bass lines and drum patterns. Does that count? Don't know. Sometimes. They can do.

Squire, as I've thought for some time, wrote songs around his limitations. Now, he's as close to an unlimited guitar player as you'd find, which he wasn't in 88-90, and I don't think his approach to playing the guitar leans towards creativity so much as guitar playing.

Brown's no musician and AFO and BT reflect that. They're all shit hot, the musicians, but none of them are particularly creative anymore. Competent and capable, no argument from me. Creative? No sign of it recently, is there?

Stella
Stella

October 17th, 2017, 4:38 pm #24

I've not heard Noel's, apart from the single.

My issue with Noel is that he's not much of a singer. He's a one trick pony, hit the note and hang onto it, sounding earnest.

I suspect that there'll be an Oasis reunion of sorts, now that Liam appears to be able to collaborate with outsiders, I expect he might move on to collllaborating with the insider in this situation - Noel.

As a result. They can go on about how it's not just a trip down memory lane because it'll be a new chapter that isn't Jazz Odyssey and then everyone'll be happy.

Mind you, I thought The Roses would put out an album on the lines of post experience Hendrix and that went well, didn't it?
They're both garbage, end this bllx now!

October 17th, 2017, 5:43 pm #25

That Liam LP is fucking rubbish, i expect Napoleon’s effort will be even worse.

October 17th, 2017, 6:26 pm #26

As I've said, I quite like it.

What it wasn't, was weighed down with expectation. At least not by me; I'm pleasantly surprised.

Which I can't honestly say about The Roses. I daresay the crippling expectations have had a fair effect on the productivity. That's the price of being good in the first pace, I suppose. Again, not something I'd level at either of the Gallaghers.

G
G

October 17th, 2017, 6:53 pm #27

Well, there is that. The drums and bass on AFO are pub rock shite. Beautiful Thing's not so quite so bad.

I don't think Reni or Mani have ever shown any signs of writing anything of much value, unless we're counting bass lines and drum patterns. Does that count? Don't know. Sometimes. They can do.

Squire, as I've thought for some time, wrote songs around his limitations. Now, he's as close to an unlimited guitar player as you'd find, which he wasn't in 88-90, and I don't think his approach to playing the guitar leans towards creativity so much as guitar playing.

Brown's no musician and AFO and BT reflect that. They're all shit hot, the musicians, but none of them are particularly creative anymore. Competent and capable, no argument from me. Creative? No sign of it recently, is there?
At the risk of stating the obvious, the debut is an example of where the rhythm section had a significant impact on the appeal of the songs, even though those songs were ultimately defined by strong melodies. I don't know how many of those bass lines were down to Mani, & how many were Squire's but I'm assuming that the drum patterns were Reni's own. Having said that, FG, the song of theirs that, arguably, was best known for its rhythm section, features a loop.

I doubt that a more dynamic rhythm section would've saved AFO from trite lyrics & a poor choice of guitar riff but I think it would've made a difference.

I agree about Squire's playing but I also think there were signs of creativity in the live shows from both him & Reni although creating around an established classic is much easier than plucking something out of thin air.

Both guitar solos from AFO & BT were great but guitar solos don't make songs & in that respect, & given the lack of cohesiveness of the band then, no, there wasn't sign of the level of creativity that would be required to produce a truly great song or album.

stiv
stiv

October 17th, 2017, 9:02 pm #28

it's interesting that you say that musically they're shit hot - yet, from both recordings you'd never know it. it's meat and potatoes and frankly amateurish, and it could literally be anyone on those recordings. there's no aspect of either song that's amazing or even "interesting" from what i can remember!?

i think a lot of people would have been happier with something that demonstrated how well squire, reni and mani play together but instead they were shoehorned into some boring generic landfill indie tunes that could get playlisted on radio x. a combination of crap songs, and dull production.

Charlie
Charlie

October 17th, 2017, 9:24 pm #29

Ian & John are creative, just give them a bag of coke and weed.

Charlie
Charlie

October 17th, 2017, 9:28 pm #30

That Liam LP is fucking rubbish, i expect Napoleon’s effort will be even worse.
They should write together again, would like to see John turn up at the LG tour and the pair of them play “love me & leave me” , fantastic tune which we only ever hear cris helmet attempt to sing. Liam would make it sound so much better!

Confirmation of reply: