Morgan
Morgan

April 8th, 2014, 5:15 pm #71

You seem to be trying to educate me on the difference between a mass noun and a count noun, to prove some sort of point*. I know the difference**, and that is why I originally pointed out that beer can be counted and thus 'beers' is correct***.

Cheeses does not have to refer to different types of cheese****. I think this is your misunderstanding of count nouns*****. Cheeses could be the same cheese, just more than one of them. Just as beers could refer to the same beer, but more than one of them.

* No, I'm pointing out how to use them.
<i></i> Apparently not.
*** Not in the way you think it is.
**** It does.
***** It's not.
Last edited by pumpo on April 8th, 2014, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2014, 7:39 pm #72

If I could understand the things that people who are more intelligent than I am can understand, eg: the Big Bang, I would be more intelligent.

When people make mistakes, if they knew they were making mistakes they wouldn't make them would they?

If you could understand why 'I drank five beers' is ambiguous in terms of quantity and variety, you'd do it. The fact is you can't and consequently, you don't.

I don't know why I don't understand the Big Bang, because if I did, I would be able to explain it and I can't. However, I do know that I don't understand it.

You don't understand why 'beers' in the context you want to use it doesn't work and you don't know that you don't understand.

The arguments you put forward are fallacious. If you understood why, you wouldn't, use them. The fact that you are using at least two fallacious arguments suggests to me that you don't understand logic.

In short, you can be ignorant and be aware of your ignorance - eg, the Big Bang and my level of comprehension .

Or you can be ignorant and be unaware of your ignorance - eg, 'beers/beer', etc and your level of comprehension.

And, the bottom line is, you say it because you think it sounds good and actually, it sounds shit.

Like people who say, 'myself and the wife went for some beers', with a rising cadence at the end of it.

It's an attempt to sound intelligent by people who aren't, generally. Using reflexive pronouns instead of personal pronouns is known as 'the toff's error'. 'I drank some beers' is pretty much the same idea. Wanting to be something without being prepared to actually do anything about it. Are you sure you're not fots?
Last edited by pumpo on April 8th, 2014, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan
Morgan

April 9th, 2014, 12:19 pm #73

Pretty poor and desperate discursive tactic there - you are thick and you will never understand....*

Of course 'beers' is ambiguous, deliberately so.** Describing the exact quantity and type of beers consumed would be painfully boring and largely unwelcome in polite conversation***. Maybe not for a beardy CAMRA type, or around your place....but certainly for most people****. I am glad you have dropped the argument that there is anything incorrect about 'beers' from a grammatical perspective. *****

Last edited by pumpo on April 9th, 2014, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2014, 1:35 pm #74

* Maybe, then again, maybe not. Are you trying to suggest that you're infallible? I'm not saying I'm infallible. I know you don't like it, but your not liking it doesn't invalidate it. Nor is it discursive either. Your inability to comprehend the subtle distinctions of 'beers' and 'beer' is entirely dependent upon your mental capacity to comprehend/not comprehend it. Either that, or you don't know what 'discursive' means as well. Neither of which bodes well for your argument, does it?

2* Absolutely the opposite. 'Beers' is unambiguous, because it means more than one type of beer. 'Beer' is even more ambiguous, that why people talk about 'pints', 'halves', 'pitchers', 'cans', 'barrels' and so on and so on. Even you, when you forgot you were against that sort of thing.

*** it's boring to hear about people talking about alcohol consumption full stop . People who say 'beers' are even worse.

**** I don't drink beer at all. Of any variety. The matter is entirely academic to me. I find CAMRA types no worse and no better than people who say, 'I had a few beers, yeah?', because I find alcohol bores come only second to drug bores in those stakes. On the plus side, I don't find that even drug bores talk about the smoking some weeds, or marijuanas, or dropping acids. Or shooting heroins. Why do you suppose that is?

***** see (*) no, there isn't. Just not in the way you think.

You might be some sort of 'beers' snob, but I'm not. I think everyone who drones on about how many beers they've had (CAMRA types) or how much beer they've had (your type) - by the way, I assume you have no objection to being labelled as a 'type' as you happily label others? - are boring people.

You've been told and if you want to drone on about how much beer you drink (do you see what happened there?) and pretend you're superior to people who drink different beers (and again) to you, and how infallible you are, do it off topic. This has gone on far enough.

I'm going to lock this thread now, for the reasons I've stated, which are unambiguous. Which is the point of language and grammar: to avoid ambiguity. Something else that you appear to be ignorant of and, of course, ignorant of your ignorance, hence your apparent and evident arrogance.
Last edited by pumpo on April 9th, 2014, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

st
st

March 29th, 2018, 10:25 pm #75

Ian's rapping on Love Spreads? You cringed a little, didn't you?
John playing a fucking flying-V? Leave it out, Johnny.
Reni's double-bass drum and bandana? What is this? 1987 California?

The Roses are the coolest band. Some of the 2012/13 tour had some incredibly uncool moments.
You can't defend the indefensible.

Now let's hear some fucking new music, lads! And do some press. For fuck sake!
bump.

I was right.

Confirmation of reply: