March 10th, 2014, 5:56 pm #41

I couldn't give a shit, pal. English is a foreign language to me anyway.
I'm only moaning boon, take no notice.

David Cameron
David Cameron

March 10th, 2014, 5:58 pm #42

I couldn't give a shit, pal. English is a foreign language to me anyway.
FUCK OFF YOU'RE ALL FUCKING CUNTS NEWAY! STOP POSTING PUERILE SHITE YOU BIG NOSED BUM NUGGETS!

LOTS OF LOVE,

DAVID.

Jonesy
Jonesy

March 11th, 2014, 1:25 am #43

Have sex like you? How do you have sex, Jonesy? Dressed up like a smurf, licking a prozzy's foot or something? I don't fancy doing that.
I have it like you. With a toothbrush up my arse. Then I shit myself in a tent whilst on a camping trip to the Lake District. Then after my girlfriend has cleaned up the mess, i ask her to suck me off. That is how you do, yes? Or have I missed anything out?

March 11th, 2014, 5:23 pm #44

Yeah, you missed out the part where it turns out that that's your fantasy about me and that's what you're thinking about whilst you're sniffing some prozzy's feet.

Have I missed anything out?

boon
boon

March 12th, 2014, 12:53 am #45

I'm only moaning boon, take no notice.
No worries, mate.

boon
boon

March 12th, 2014, 12:54 am #46

FUCK OFF YOU'RE ALL FUCKING CUNTS NEWAY! STOP POSTING PUERILE SHITE YOU BIG NOSED BUM NUGGETS!

LOTS OF LOVE,

DAVID.
what does Katie Hopkins taste like, Mr Cameron?

Morgan
Morgan

March 17th, 2014, 4:27 pm #47

I'm not having that.
'Beer' can be both, you can pluralise count nouns, thus 'beers' is correct.

March 17th, 2014, 7:49 pm #48

I don't agree with you. 'Beer' only counts (cheers) as a countable noun in terms of a variety of beers. Such as, stout, lager, old peculier and what have you.

In those circumstances, I could accept 'having some beers' only if the participants were specifically sampling a variety of different types of beer. I've had 5 beers, Stella, Old Peculier, Heineken, XXXX and Northamptonshire Cat's arse lager. Even saying that would give no indication as to the quantity of beer consumed.

If you drink 5 pints of XXXX, I would say you've not had 5 beers, you've had one beer, albeit 5 pints of it.

If your cat was thirsty and you gave it five bowls of milk, you wouldn't say it drank 'five milks', unless you'd given it a variety of mammalian milk. Cat, cow, badger, dog, squirrel, for instance. You might offer brown rice and/or white rice as a side dish: you would be offering 'rices' but you don't eat 'rices', you eat bowls of rice.

'Beers' by itself, suggests variety and gives no clues as to the physical quantity consumed, pints, litres, etc.

It' similar to the reflexive pronoun 'myself'. Yes, you can refer to yourself (see?) with a reflexive pronoun, but you shouldn't use it to replace a personal pronoun, because that's not what it's for.

Both are examples of over-generalisation, which happens when people want to sound like smart arses when the reality is they don't know what they're saying and consequently, neither does anyone else.

Tcha. Tsk.

Last edited by pumpo on March 17th, 2014, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 18th, 2014, 12:26 am #49

Bet you're a right laugh in the pub, Pumpo

Morgan
Morgan

March 18th, 2014, 8:15 am #50

Common usage suggest most people regard beer as a count noun, so there is nothing technically wrong with beers. It is down to your opinion, not bad grammar.

I bet you have said in a pub - 'I would like a beer'. 'A' meaning one, which means you have counted beer.

Confirmation of reply: