what do you think?

what do you think?

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 18th, 2002, 8:34 am #1

sorry to post this message, but i thought i needed to. as some of you are aware i am a life long neil fan.
i tried to meet with neil in london, my daughter is 6 years old and was desperate to see him. when she did not, she was in tears, he refused on several occasions to see her.

can i just ask, if neil really cares for his fans, what harm would it do, to shake the hand of a 6 year old, does anybody know?

you are welcome to email me on malcolmconlan@hotmail.com

i am still a fan and love his music

please reply

best wishes

malcolm

Walter (from Austria)
Walter (from Austria)

September 18th, 2002, 9:11 am #2

I just posed myself the question how it can be possible that a girl of only 6 years is desperate (!) to see Neil Diamond. And cries if "he refuses to see her"?

By the way, what a strange way to put it. "he refuses to see her" ??????
Perhaps you should not transfer your personal (!) desires and hopes on your - poor - daughter...

Darla
Darla

September 18th, 2002, 12:45 pm #3

sorry to post this message, but i thought i needed to. as some of you are aware i am a life long neil fan.
i tried to meet with neil in london, my daughter is 6 years old and was desperate to see him. when she did not, she was in tears, he refused on several occasions to see her.

can i just ask, if neil really cares for his fans, what harm would it do, to shake the hand of a 6 year old, does anybody know?

please reply

best wishes

malcolm
Was some kind of request made? I'm a little lost on that line too. 6 year olds can cry anytime they don't get what they want, even candy in the grocery store line.

My concern is that so many fans think celebrities "owe" them something. What Neil owes us is a great show, which is what we pay for. It's nice that he enjoys chatting with fans at times, but he certainly isn't obligated to do so. We are not his friends, we're his fans.

Soma
Soma

September 18th, 2002, 1:05 pm #4

please reply

best wishes

malcolm
a little differently. I have a 7 year old who is a big fan, but she knows that the only thing Neil really owes us is a good concert and good music -- and we always get that.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

September 18th, 2002, 1:05 pm #5

Was some kind of request made? I'm a little lost on that line too. 6 year olds can cry anytime they don't get what they want, even candy in the grocery store line.

My concern is that so many fans think celebrities "owe" them something. What Neil owes us is a great show, which is what we pay for. It's nice that he enjoys chatting with fans at times, but he certainly isn't obligated to do so. We are not his friends, we're his fans.
You said it better than I could. We all have to remember that we are not his friends, we are his fans. BIG DIFFERENCE.

neiltopia
neiltopia

September 18th, 2002, 1:24 pm #6

please reply

best wishes

malcolm
I would assume that if he has any type of security, they would probably deny any request for anyone to personally meet him. If you have read this board and seen the pictures you would know that he goes out of his way to meet the fans. Were you at a bus call or something? I'm pretty sure he is not the kind of man to crush the dreams of a six year old.

Joyce
Joyce

September 18th, 2002, 2:26 pm #7

please reply

best wishes

malcolm
I hardly see how a 6 year old would be Crushed if neil would not speak...I just don't get it. I think Mom needs to get a life and let her little girl be a little girl. Much too young to have hangups......

simon uk
simon uk

September 18th, 2002, 2:27 pm #8

please reply

best wishes

malcolm
Malcom, Neil spends many months writing music for his fans, that is his way or reaching us all. He then spends many more months away from his own family including his Grandchildren whilst he tours the world. I remember him saying once in an interview that all his fans would like just a minute of his time to speak to him but if he did this there would be no time for anything else. Lets please remember Neil writes and tours with his music for us all and when he chooses stops to say hello with a big smile along the way.

Z.
Z.

September 18th, 2002, 3:20 pm #9

please reply

best wishes

malcolm
I would think it would be like that if your daughter liked ANY star. Whether it's N'Sync or Christina or KISS or Neil. There is no real reasoning behind the idea that being 6 years old means that she would be able to meet ANY star. Meeting a "star" is a dream that only a handful of people achieve. Sometimes people get lucky and meet him in a hotel lobby or at a bus call or accidentally in a restaurant. For every person who does that, there are thousands who have attended his shows that didn't. But those thousands aren't busted up or upset because they didn't "meet" Neil personally.

Disappointment, in this case, comes from unrealistic expectation. Since your daughter is only 6, maybe you should explain to her that everything she wants won't ALWAYS come to her. That way, when it does, she can appreciate a really special moment, instead of being upset because she expected it to happen but didn't. That's how life is.

anonymous
anonymous

September 18th, 2002, 3:48 pm #10

please reply

best wishes

malcolm
Take her to a lobby or bus call at Neil's hotel. He typically talks to the group of fans, even if for only a moment. If you don't kno where he is staying, you can also go stand by the bus that leaves the arena he played. I am sure he would have waved at he or said hi honey. Neil has many moods, and when he's rushed or tired he isn't as happy as other times. MOST of the time he's great! So many people want to talk to him personally, it would be to hard to acomodate all of us individually. Tell your little one to cheer up. I heard that Britney Spears REALLY ignored a group of young girls who waited all day in England to see her. She rushed past without a glance. Let your little one know that performers are very busy people(and a little stressed too).