The Rising

The Rising

JJG
JJG

September 5th, 2002, 4:35 pm #1

Given the emotional and reflective nature of the upcoming week, I'd like to recommend anyone in search of reflective music of the past year to pick up a copy of Springsteen's "The Rising". It is (in my opinion) the most important album of the past year- the songs tell stories, and offer an introspective into what many of us have felt throughout the past year, but haven't really been able to fully express. Musically, it's an album that really (again my opinion) transcends many genres- die hard rock fans, as well as fans of the "lighter" stuff will enjoy this album. I know I'm always plugging the Boss on here, but this album has done a lot of good for a lot of people, including myself- who can't shake the memories of that morning.

Linda
Linda

September 5th, 2002, 5:17 pm #2

This CD is excellent!!

Having been a diehard Neil fan for many, many years I think Neil fans would enjoy this CD very much. This CD reminds me of Neil's Beautiful Noise album - different stories, but both contain music that has a deep emotional meaning/connection and that is reflective of a certain era. Both BN and Rising represent the respective artist at his best!

nikki
nikki

September 5th, 2002, 5:50 pm #3

him--even though I too am a die-hard Real Deal Neil fan. I would also like to mention Neil Youngs, ARE YOU PASSIONATE. This is a very telling Cd and speaks for this time.

Coral
Coral

September 5th, 2002, 6:00 pm #4

There is a wonderful review of this album in the U.K. Record Collector. One line referring to 'Empty Sky' reads: "Here Springsteen delivers a great, almost Neil Diamond-like vocal against a background of strummed acoustic guitar......"
Never thought to see 'The Boss' and Neil compared!

Daddy Oh
Daddy Oh

September 5th, 2002, 6:55 pm #5

Given the emotional and reflective nature of the upcoming week, I'd like to recommend anyone in search of reflective music of the past year to pick up a copy of Springsteen's "The Rising". It is (in my opinion) the most important album of the past year- the songs tell stories, and offer an introspective into what many of us have felt throughout the past year, but haven't really been able to fully express. Musically, it's an album that really (again my opinion) transcends many genres- die hard rock fans, as well as fans of the "lighter" stuff will enjoy this album. I know I'm always plugging the Boss on here, but this album has done a lot of good for a lot of people, including myself- who can't shake the memories of that morning.
I will be honest...Springsteen is not a favorite of mine. My wife bought this album, and the first song is so inaudible because the music is played louder than he sings it. And, in many cases, the lyrics are hard to understand.

This is just my opinion, but I think Neil should write a complete album, something like this, that helps those who still mourn, a stronger chance to heal. He grew up in Brooklyn, NY, right across the waters from where the WTC stood. He moved out before they were built, but till, it should have some special meaning for him, too.

Again, don't like the album. It's also VERY, VERY depressing. And, he's singing every song on this album in his current tour. That would be boring right there, too. Considering all of Springsteen's songs sound alike anyway.

The only song of his I can tolerate is Secret Garden.

Sue
Sue

September 5th, 2002, 8:46 pm #6

I had heard good comments on Bruce's CD and particularly with the songs and themes addressed to the difficult times our country has been going through. Tuesday night I caught just the tail end of Dateline and it was about the heroes of the doomed Pennsylvania flight. At the end of the piece they showed each individual's picture interspersed with pictures of the accident site and memorial and floral tributes. While all this was flashing there was a song of Bruce's playing and did that ever pack a punch...anyone not moved by that scenario and his music playing has a heart of stone I'd say!

Bruce, while not on my "I'll die if I don't see him list" has always impressed me because his music is (a) good, (b) is based on his personal experiences and life and (c) he's a good old American fellow -- right on the lines of Neil Diamond but perhaps with a bit more "hard rock" or whatever you'd call it.

Anyway if that one song is any indication of the latest CD, I'd say it would definitely be a good purchase!

Linda
Linda

September 6th, 2002, 12:29 am #7

I will be honest...Springsteen is not a favorite of mine. My wife bought this album, and the first song is so inaudible because the music is played louder than he sings it. And, in many cases, the lyrics are hard to understand.

This is just my opinion, but I think Neil should write a complete album, something like this, that helps those who still mourn, a stronger chance to heal. He grew up in Brooklyn, NY, right across the waters from where the WTC stood. He moved out before they were built, but till, it should have some special meaning for him, too.

Again, don't like the album. It's also VERY, VERY depressing. And, he's singing every song on this album in his current tour. That would be boring right there, too. Considering all of Springsteen's songs sound alike anyway.

The only song of his I can tolerate is Secret Garden.
While there are a few songs on The Rising that delve into the darker side (like Empty Sky and Nothing Man) quite a few of the songs on this CD are very uplifting - Waitin on A Sunny Day and Mary's Place for example. So I would have to disagree that the CD is very, very depressing.

Also, having been to a Bruce show on his current tour I have to let you know that he is only performing 11 out of the 15 songs......and all go over extrememly well in concert. Wish Neil would have done more songs from TCO this tour.

Anyway, that is just my opinion!

Diamond Barb
Diamond Barb

September 6th, 2002, 5:06 am #8

I think Bruce wrote his best album ever..! Yes a couple of the songs are dark but they are very meaning full about that terrible day and there are songs that are very uplifting. I will be going to Milwaukee on Sept 27 th for Bruce's concert and am so looking forward to his concert, I was lucky enough to get a really great seat. I have never been to a Bruce Springsteen concert, but I understand his concerts are fantastic.Anyway I'm so looking forward to his concert, and I'll be sure to tell you all about it LOL !