Reading Rocked! Long, long story.

Reading Rocked! Long, long story.

Tori aka Thelma
Tori aka Thelma

September 11th, 2002, 5:44 am #1

What a long day! I'm ready to fall asleep right now, so this might not be long... NEIL WAS GREAT!!

PROBLEMS:

3 problems with the concert - none of them to do with Neil - I'm sure everyone will complain about the parking - the close lots were reserved for VIPS. Also, if you aren't familiar with Reading, the roads are all 1-way and the layout is confusing, and they added insult to injury by blocking a bunch of roads off. Lastly, there were some sound problems at the end of the concert, all sound cut off twice during Shilo for a few beats, then came back. On Crackling Rosie (first encore) Neil's mic was out - they switched it with another, and he was ok until Brother Love, then that one didn't work and it took about 3 verses till they fixed it. Neil just kept singing, of course - what else could he do? Those were the problems - on to the good stuff:

PRE-NEIL:

Like an idiot, I went to work today - and got NOTHING done, just counted the minutes til Neil. HAD to drive past the Sovereign Center on my lunch hour, as well as the hotel I thought he would be at - don't ask me what I expected to see there, but of course I saw nothing. At the arena, though, I saw lots of trucks and a bus, lots of people milling around, but nothing I really wanted to see (NEIL, of course - duh!) Back to work for a really LONG afternoon, then FINALLY, at 4:30, I shut down my computer and went to change in the bathroom - Heather from Oz sent me a really cute shirt that she made with little frog kings on it, which I wore tonight. (Thanks Heather!) Drove out of the city to meet Mom for dinner, then we came back in and went to a parking garage to sit and wait til it was closer to 7. They let us in at 7 on the dot, and we found our seats. Someone a few rows back called out to me "Are you Tori?" and I said, yeah - who are you? I think he said he doesn't post, but he read where I would be - if you are reading this - Hi, hope you had a good time- I sure did! Didn't meet anyone else or recognize anyone except for a guy I'd bet my last nickel was Tom Sadge - couldn't miss the guy. He was 3 rows ahead of me. Well, my senator was there too, him I recognized! Something I thought was unusual - they sold the seats behind the stage! They were full of people.

NEIL:

Neil got on around 8:15, and he was ON FIRE, sounding great and looking gorgeous in the sapphire blue shirt. By now, you know the setlist, so I won't go into that. Suffice it to say, Neil was great - in fantastic voice, very personable, and the crowd was into it - he really seemed to like my side (the left), so we got lots of LUBE, and he was eating up all the adulation we were throwing at him. He said the attendance was a record for the year-old arena, so he beat out a few others (Stevie Nicks, Barry Manilow, to name 2) for that particular distinction. He didn't say how many we had, but the arena only holds 8000 or so. Mom & I were in the 10th row, and we did NOT need the binoculars, I can tell you that! It felt really close, and I now know why so many people say it feels like he's looking RIGHT at you - I could swear he was! Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but I can dream. I called ToniB (Hey Louise) for Red, Red Wine, like she requested, and kept her on the line until we got to "Girl", then tried to call Flame but no luck getting through! BUMMER! The girl was a young pretty blonde, who seemed a bit reluctant, and I think she gave him the cheek, but honestly it was a little hard to see because he picked her from the other side. Maybe someone else can verify the details on that. My favorite Neil song is Holly Holy, but his best performance was, I thought, the Yes I Will/Lady Mag sequence. Absolutely beautiful. Though, before he played he seemed to be losing his train of thought mid-sentence and covered up by saying - "This beautiful instrument, is commonly known throughout the music industry... as a piano" uh, yeah - ok Neil! lol The rest of the concert is a big happy blur, marred a little at the end by the sound problems I talked about earlier. Great concert! Mom & I had a ball!

POST-CONCERT:

Drove by all the groupies hanging out, and met someone from chat. Much more to talk about, but I need sleep noW..later peeps!

Rev Barbara
Rev Barbara

September 11th, 2002, 7:51 am #2

Get some rest and tell us more!

The piano banter sounds just as usual. He always talks it slow and sometimes a little too slow so it sounds like he's loosing train of thought or searching for it - may be.

As I have been working on my husband's church's web page (reason I had to quit posting more info on Memphis) I thought about other things I meant to say in my "Concert Review".

1) There were sound problems in Memphis also. It was reverb problems as the sound was turned up to amplify the Cat Gut Girls on "The Best Part of Me" (Boy, I am loving this new song! The parts written for the strings are beautiful and fit beautifully into the whole. The Cat Gut Girls do it so well!) The problem started out as mildly annoying (if any sound problem can be such) and you kept thinking they would fix it soon, oh maybe, oooo it's louder, now it's better, then POW it SUDDENLY GOT WORSE and Neil stopped in mid-step and I thought he was contemplating getting upset and it was just as suddenly fixed. Seems like this Tour has been plagued by more sound problems than I have experienced before.

Can somebody technically minded tell us whether all these sound problems are that new speaker array system's fault or the operator(s) or what!

Right now I'm so sleepy I can't think what the others were so I'll post them later.

Thanks again Tori!

marion
marion

September 11th, 2002, 10:39 am #3

What a long day! I'm ready to fall asleep right now, so this might not be long... NEIL WAS GREAT!!

PROBLEMS:

3 problems with the concert - none of them to do with Neil - I'm sure everyone will complain about the parking - the close lots were reserved for VIPS. Also, if you aren't familiar with Reading, the roads are all 1-way and the layout is confusing, and they added insult to injury by blocking a bunch of roads off. Lastly, there were some sound problems at the end of the concert, all sound cut off twice during Shilo for a few beats, then came back. On Crackling Rosie (first encore) Neil's mic was out - they switched it with another, and he was ok until Brother Love, then that one didn't work and it took about 3 verses till they fixed it. Neil just kept singing, of course - what else could he do? Those were the problems - on to the good stuff:

PRE-NEIL:

Like an idiot, I went to work today - and got NOTHING done, just counted the minutes til Neil. HAD to drive past the Sovereign Center on my lunch hour, as well as the hotel I thought he would be at - don't ask me what I expected to see there, but of course I saw nothing. At the arena, though, I saw lots of trucks and a bus, lots of people milling around, but nothing I really wanted to see (NEIL, of course - duh!) Back to work for a really LONG afternoon, then FINALLY, at 4:30, I shut down my computer and went to change in the bathroom - Heather from Oz sent me a really cute shirt that she made with little frog kings on it, which I wore tonight. (Thanks Heather!) Drove out of the city to meet Mom for dinner, then we came back in and went to a parking garage to sit and wait til it was closer to 7. They let us in at 7 on the dot, and we found our seats. Someone a few rows back called out to me "Are you Tori?" and I said, yeah - who are you? I think he said he doesn't post, but he read where I would be - if you are reading this - Hi, hope you had a good time- I sure did! Didn't meet anyone else or recognize anyone except for a guy I'd bet my last nickel was Tom Sadge - couldn't miss the guy. He was 3 rows ahead of me. Well, my senator was there too, him I recognized! Something I thought was unusual - they sold the seats behind the stage! They were full of people.

NEIL:

Neil got on around 8:15, and he was ON FIRE, sounding great and looking gorgeous in the sapphire blue shirt. By now, you know the setlist, so I won't go into that. Suffice it to say, Neil was great - in fantastic voice, very personable, and the crowd was into it - he really seemed to like my side (the left), so we got lots of LUBE, and he was eating up all the adulation we were throwing at him. He said the attendance was a record for the year-old arena, so he beat out a few others (Stevie Nicks, Barry Manilow, to name 2) for that particular distinction. He didn't say how many we had, but the arena only holds 8000 or so. Mom & I were in the 10th row, and we did NOT need the binoculars, I can tell you that! It felt really close, and I now know why so many people say it feels like he's looking RIGHT at you - I could swear he was! Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but I can dream. I called ToniB (Hey Louise) for Red, Red Wine, like she requested, and kept her on the line until we got to "Girl", then tried to call Flame but no luck getting through! BUMMER! The girl was a young pretty blonde, who seemed a bit reluctant, and I think she gave him the cheek, but honestly it was a little hard to see because he picked her from the other side. Maybe someone else can verify the details on that. My favorite Neil song is Holly Holy, but his best performance was, I thought, the Yes I Will/Lady Mag sequence. Absolutely beautiful. Though, before he played he seemed to be losing his train of thought mid-sentence and covered up by saying - "This beautiful instrument, is commonly known throughout the music industry... as a piano" uh, yeah - ok Neil! lol The rest of the concert is a big happy blur, marred a little at the end by the sound problems I talked about earlier. Great concert! Mom & I had a ball!

POST-CONCERT:

Drove by all the groupies hanging out, and met someone from chat. Much more to talk about, but I need sleep noW..later peeps!
Hi Tori,
That would have been a good bet to place with your last nickel. That was Tom who was three rows in front of you, I'm sure, since he was at the concert!

Aussie Gem
Aussie Gem

September 11th, 2002, 12:14 pm #4

PROBLEMS:

PRE-NEIL:

NEIL:

POST-CONCERT:

for a fantastic review!!! Glad you had such a wonderful time - shame about those couple of glitches... Hope you've managed to catch up on your sleep Though Neil is sure is worth a couple of sleepless nights.....

Lin
Lin

September 11th, 2002, 1:11 pm #5

PROBLEMS:

PRE-NEIL:

NEIL:

POST-CONCERT:

I knew you would have enough energy to post before you went to bed! that was Tom sitting in front of you. Earlier that evening he attended a dinner hosted by Free, but I will leave the details for Free to post as I am waiting eagerly for her post. I am so glad the beginning of the T&L tour was so great. Great review and write me and the gals more later when you are rested up. Oh Louise oops Toni, how lucky to hear Red Red Wine live. Midnight Trisha did that once with a song for my sister it is so neat as I have also had the privledge. Flame where were you? lol Probably trying out my recipe before Albany----Oh dear Albany and my printer is broke!!!! Later and Tori big big hugs for posting

heather h
heather h

September 11th, 2002, 1:21 pm #6

PROBLEMS:

PRE-NEIL:

NEIL:

POST-CONCERT:

Part of me was at the concert. OOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEE. I'm stoked that you wore it Tori! And thanks for the revue. I hope there's more to come yet - waiting to hear.

Lin
Lin

September 11th, 2002, 1:41 pm #7

I did not know you were so talented--how about making a bunch to sell? hugs

Flame
Flame

September 11th, 2002, 2:51 pm #8

PROBLEMS:

PRE-NEIL:

NEIL:

POST-CONCERT:

I knew we could count on you to give a good review!!!

First, I can't believe you couldn't get through to me! I even kept my cell phone on until midnight thinking maybe the concert started later than usual. Did I give you the right phone number??? Heck this is just like trying to send me mail, I think we're jinxed! Ok, well, there are still 2 more concerts you can call me from before we got to Albany!

Sapphire blue shirt, oh my, did it have lots of beads? Or was it the same one he wore in the photo's from across the pond? Well, no need to say, I can't wait to hear more from you after you get some sleep. Sleep? Sleep! How can you sleep after that??? Better rest up for the Thelma and Hey Louise Tour starts soon!

Linnie
Linnie

September 11th, 2002, 2:59 pm #9

PROBLEMS:

PRE-NEIL:

NEIL:

POST-CONCERT:

hear 'more' after you get some "Golden Slumbers" ... sounds like you really had a terrific time!

More, more, more!!!

heather h
heather h

September 11th, 2002, 3:06 pm #10

I did not know you were so talented--how about making a bunch to sell? hugs
and I can do some more. I hope Tori can post a pic soon of hers.