Neil vs. Elvis

Neil vs. Elvis

Mary Beth
Mary Beth

September 20th, 2002, 12:42 pm #1

I took my friend Candy to the concert Wednesday and she LOVES Elvis. Told her that Neil's drummer used to be Elvis' and that made her ask me a question that's been bothering me since. I figure someone here may know because I couldn't answer the question.

She asked me if I thought when Neil first came out, did he and Elvis get along. My friend is assuming since Elvis was a hothead that he would be the one who didn't like Neil but this has been driving me crazy.

Did Neil Diamond and Elvis Presley get along or even meet?

neiltopia
neiltopia

September 20th, 2002, 1:26 pm #2

Elvis did sing about three of Neil's songs. And if you listen closely to Elvis's "Live at Madison Square Garden," when he sings "Sweet Caroline" he says something like "...this is a beautiful song...the song was written by a guy named Neil Diamond.." I don't think Elvis would have gone to the trouble to say that if he did'nt respect him as a songwriter. As for Neil and Elvis meeting, I think in an interview, Neil once said he lived next door to Elvis in CA and he would always wave to him, but he was too intimidated to go over and talk with him.

Mary Beth
Mary Beth

September 20th, 2002, 1:46 pm #3

Thanks for the info. Now if my friend is such an Elvis fan, you'd think she'd have known he had sung Sweet Caroline in MSG. Wait til I tell her that.

And I can see Neil being intimidated....I know I'd be too. It's a shame they didn't talk, imagine if they did an album together?

Soma
Soma

September 20th, 2002, 2:46 pm #4

I Can't Help Falling in Love With You on the Movie Album.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 20th, 2002, 5:43 pm #5

I took my friend Candy to the concert Wednesday and she LOVES Elvis. Told her that Neil's drummer used to be Elvis' and that made her ask me a question that's been bothering me since. I figure someone here may know because I couldn't answer the question.

She asked me if I thought when Neil first came out, did he and Elvis get along. My friend is assuming since Elvis was a hothead that he would be the one who didn't like Neil but this has been driving me crazy.

because Liberace was the godfather of all these sequin-wearing rockers and drag queens, as we all know! LMAO

I know Lee really respected Elvis, even attended his show at least once that I know of (and mind ya, he didn't really attend concerts). In fact Elvis and Lee met in the '50s for a publicity thing. Elvis didn't have a jacket to wear, so Lee lended him one of his shimmery ones to wear for the photo shoot/meeting... which first influenced Elvis to begin wearing those kinds of suits.

And in interviews and in his autobiography, Lee mentioned Elvis, Elton John, Gary Glitter, and even Alice Cooper as people who've sort of "come after him."

So, because of that... I wonder what Liberace thought of Neil Diamond, his image, and his music. He had to have at least been aware of him, even if he wasn't an avid listener. They were both hot during the 1970s. And I'd be willing to bet Lee found Neil's showmanship fascinating. (Neil's kinda hard to miss.) Heck, Lee probably thought he was cute... .

But I'm still learning a LOT about Lee and his life, and loving every second. So maybe I'll find something Libby related to Neil in the future. We'll see. That'd be interesting, huh?

^My current computer wallpaper^... hehehe!

Rich
Rich

September 20th, 2002, 5:48 pm #6

'retirement' and played Vegas for the first time. I've read that Elvis introduced ND from the stage. Anyway, ND as said that after the show he went back stage and while Priscilla was very outgoing, Elvis was nervous and serious, asking Neil about how the bass sounded. What else they talked about ND didn't say.

Neil has also said that he and Elvis used to be neighbors in Beverly Hills and when fans would go to Elvis' house and ask if Elvis lived there, they would say no, he lived next door (Neil's place) and Neil would do the same thing to fans looking for him. He didn't say if they had personal contact during that period, since neither probably spent a lot of time at those houses (although I think I remember him saying that Jesse and Lisa Marie used to talk through the fence separating the back yards).

Of course they just missed each other at American Studios when ND recorded "Caroline", "Holly" and "Brother Love" and Elvis recorded "Ghetto",
"Suspicious Minds" and others there in late '68 or '69. When Elvis recorded "And the Grass" there, Neil said in an interview he wrote Elvis a note thanking him for doing so.

I think that's the extent of the EP/ND connection.

Mary Beth
Mary Beth

September 20th, 2002, 8:10 pm #7

So they were sort of like those neighbors that you know live next door, like them, but never really spoke to! And Jess and Lisa Marie talking to each other - can you imagine if THEY got married?

They'd be one of the wealthiest couples ever!

The Judge of Abington 2-2
The Judge of Abington 2-2

September 20th, 2002, 11:10 pm #8

because Liberace was the godfather of all these sequin-wearing rockers and drag queens, as we all know! LMAO

I know Lee really respected Elvis, even attended his show at least once that I know of (and mind ya, he didn't really attend concerts). In fact Elvis and Lee met in the '50s for a publicity thing. Elvis didn't have a jacket to wear, so Lee lended him one of his shimmery ones to wear for the photo shoot/meeting... which first influenced Elvis to begin wearing those kinds of suits.

And in interviews and in his autobiography, Lee mentioned Elvis, Elton John, Gary Glitter, and even Alice Cooper as people who've sort of "come after him."

So, because of that... I wonder what Liberace thought of Neil Diamond, his image, and his music. He had to have at least been aware of him, even if he wasn't an avid listener. They were both hot during the 1970s. And I'd be willing to bet Lee found Neil's showmanship fascinating. (Neil's kinda hard to miss.) Heck, Lee probably thought he was cute... .

But I'm still learning a LOT about Lee and his life, and loving every second. So maybe I'll find something Libby related to Neil in the future. We'll see. That'd be interesting, huh?

Last spring, when a country music cable T.V. channel was showing re-runs of old Glen Campbell shows, they ran one in which both Liberace and Neil were on.

A woman with the last name of Liberace is running for the Pennsylvania legislature from the area where I live. I had never heard of anyone else with that name before.

Regina Litman
Regina Litman

September 20th, 2002, 11:13 pm #9

I Can't Help Falling in Love With You on the Movie Album.
"Heartbreak Hotel" duet with Kim Carnes on "The Greatest Hits: 1966-1992" and "Don't Be Cruel" on "Up On The Roof".

Also, besides the two songs Neil wrote that Elvis recorded ("And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind" and "Sweet Caroline") and the three Elvis hits that Neil recorded, there are a few other songs that both of them have done. One of them is "Until It's Time For You To Go", written by Buffy Ste. Marie. I don't know if I've ever heard Elvis' version, but I have heard that its arrangement was inspired by Neil's.

Jon
Jon

September 21st, 2002, 2:01 pm #10

I saw Lee a couple of times when he was performing in London during the late eighties.
You dont send me flowers was performed at both. Lee sang along and anyone who ever heard Lee sing will know that he should have stuck to instrumentals.
But he obviously liked the song and wanted to give it the Libearce treatment.
Like Neil , Liberace was one of the fascinating mega stars who you just had to see to appreciate.