I hate to say this but...

I hate to say this but...

gino
gino

August 15th, 2002, 3:49 am #1

I have some concerns you all might be able to help me with. I don't want to offend anyone here because you all have made me feel welcome, and I like posting and discussing things on this board but I have a concern.

Well, the Manchester NH show is coming and I have been asked by a couple of people on this board if I'm going to the event at the "Yard". While I'm excited that people here want to meet me live and in person, and I'd like to put some names with faces I'm a little nervous about the internet thing.

You know, you never know who you'll meet at the computer and all. You are all pro's at this can you give me some advice?

PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENDED BY MY MESSAGE. I don't mean anything personal by it. Any help here would be nice.

Ann T
Ann T

August 15th, 2002, 6:07 am #2

And I can personally speak from experience that I have had the opportunity to meet with one person I have met on this board and what a fool I was for that, know I can't get rid of her, she's always calling and IM'ing me at all hours she will not go away.

Okay know that my giggling fit is over I am really going to pay for that remark LOL, I guess she will not want to meet with me this Sunday now, you now who you are and I am just busting on you, you have know idea how hard it is to type thru tears of laughter LOL.

Gino I was just teasing above, you have every right to be concerned, but the general group that hang out here are from what I can figure and have heard about from others are okay. Hey in Albany I will be meeting over 20 of them and have chatted with them for quite awile know and even driving up to Albany with one of them and sharing a room with her, not a bed just a room, Hey Free does the room come with double beds or are you sleeping on the floor LOL.
Gino I believe Albany is before Manchester NH so if there are any you need to keep an eye on if you choose to meet with them I will warn you before hand, but I will pre-warn you watch out for the ones that go by the name Toni, Tori and that Flame girl, and what ever you do do not wear any leather.

freelife
freelife

August 15th, 2002, 11:15 am #3

that made the reservation! Actually, the floor was reserved for someone else but the cur backed out on us, so now it's yours. I'm sleeping on the floor in Reading as Nanci made the reservation there and whoever makes the reservation gets the bed.
Now, TO GINO. You'll be meeting with people at an event where there are thousands of people and security. They are the ones that say "security" on their uniforms in case you didn't know. (just teasing you).
Really though, if you're meeting them in a resteraunt and or at the venue there isn't really a problem. There are tons of people around and police usually directing traffic. It really is a judgement call. In Pittsburgh Kirk hosted a dinner for all of us that was outstanding and alot of people met each other for the first time. I even got to meet the ultimate fan! (hi Eydie!)
In Albany I'll see some of the same people and meet alot more I've talked to for the past year now and am looking forward to it. I'm "technically" cohosting the lunch there. I say technically because LIN AND CHERIE are doing all the real work. I'll really just be helping once I get there. And as you can see, I'm rooming with some person from New York. Now I figure she can't be too bad as she loves dogs and horses.
Just take Anne's advice and DON'T WEAR LEATHER! For Reading, I invited the people I'm driving up with to my home while my husband was here so as to see if they were serial killers. He assured me that he's only one on weekends and since the concert is on a Tuesday I'll be safe. Really though, I'm driving up with him and his girlfriend (he's the Neil lover, she just likes hotels) and both passed muster with my husband. You should have heard him when I told him I invited people I met on a NeilDiamond message board to our home. Now he thinks we are all just nuts, and we drove him crazy talking about Neil, looking at my collection of things and watching videos till midnight!
Really, if your meeting in a public place you'll be fine. If your gut tells you there's something wrong, just say your goodbyes and enjoy the show. HAVE FUN AT THE CONCERT!

Ginny G.
Ginny G.

August 15th, 2002, 12:10 pm #4

I have some concerns you all might be able to help me with. I don't want to offend anyone here because you all have made me feel welcome, and I like posting and discussing things on this board but I have a concern.

Well, the Manchester NH show is coming and I have been asked by a couple of people on this board if I'm going to the event at the "Yard". While I'm excited that people here want to meet me live and in person, and I'd like to put some names with faces I'm a little nervous about the internet thing.

You know, you never know who you'll meet at the computer and all. You are all pro's at this can you give me some advice?

PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENDED BY MY MESSAGE. I don't mean anything personal by it. Any help here would be nice.
if you're meeting in a public place. I haven't been reading all the posts, so I don't know what the "Yard" is, but I suspect it's a restaurant. No problem in public.... and Neil fans are the best, anyway.

I'll admit that when I first started traveling to meet up with Neil fans I'd never met for overnight events, it made my family a little nervous. I gave my family names, addresses and phone numbers of people I was staying with to ease their minds a little. I don't think you're planning on doing that here, but if you are, I hope you know a little more about the people you're meeting than their IAIS "handles." I really don't know how open people who don't use their real names on this board are, as I don't really KNOW anyone who doesn't use their real name to post here. You might get a better "feel" for people if you talk to them on the phone, too.

I wouldn't even hesitate if you're just talking about meeting fans at a public place and you have your own transportation.

Lin
Lin

August 15th, 2002, 3:55 pm #5

Hi Gino- I am a great one for getting on the computer and talking to people-but am very cautious of meeting people. However that being said, I am excited as I am going to meet over 20 maybe more fans in Albany and can not wait!!!!!! It is in a public hotel, with a public luncheon etc. It is always good to be a bit cautious but most of the people who post here, are people I feel I have allready met. Just go and have a ball as it will be over before you know it. I of course am sharing a room with my sister and Trisha so I get to sleep with my sister and I must remember to bring earplugs! Come to think of it our room is a hospitality room, so who knows whos blankies and pillows will be there lol Hugs

Eydie
Eydie

August 15th, 2002, 4:14 pm #6

that made the reservation! Actually, the floor was reserved for someone else but the cur backed out on us, so now it's yours. I'm sleeping on the floor in Reading as Nanci made the reservation there and whoever makes the reservation gets the bed.
Now, TO GINO. You'll be meeting with people at an event where there are thousands of people and security. They are the ones that say "security" on their uniforms in case you didn't know. (just teasing you).
Really though, if you're meeting them in a resteraunt and or at the venue there isn't really a problem. There are tons of people around and police usually directing traffic. It really is a judgement call. In Pittsburgh Kirk hosted a dinner for all of us that was outstanding and alot of people met each other for the first time. I even got to meet the ultimate fan! (hi Eydie!)
In Albany I'll see some of the same people and meet alot more I've talked to for the past year now and am looking forward to it. I'm "technically" cohosting the lunch there. I say technically because LIN AND CHERIE are doing all the real work. I'll really just be helping once I get there. And as you can see, I'm rooming with some person from New York. Now I figure she can't be too bad as she loves dogs and horses.
Just take Anne's advice and DON'T WEAR LEATHER! For Reading, I invited the people I'm driving up with to my home while my husband was here so as to see if they were serial killers. He assured me that he's only one on weekends and since the concert is on a Tuesday I'll be safe. Really though, I'm driving up with him and his girlfriend (he's the Neil lover, she just likes hotels) and both passed muster with my husband. You should have heard him when I told him I invited people I met on a NeilDiamond message board to our home. Now he thinks we are all just nuts, and we drove him crazy talking about Neil, looking at my collection of things and watching videos till midnight!
Really, if your meeting in a public place you'll be fine. If your gut tells you there's something wrong, just say your goodbyes and enjoy the show. HAVE FUN AT THE CONCERT!
I'm the "ultimate" Neil Diamond fan only in the eyes of one Pennsylvania groupie (hi Kirk!).

Regarding meeting people for the first time, having only met them "online" before the actual face-to-face, the very first person I did this with has three girls.

At dinner one night, they were very concerned about her flying (I think it was to Nashville) to meet me. At my home, my husband referred to Jane as a possible serial killer, while her girls considered the possibility that I might be a MAN instead of a WOMAN. Both families were quite concerned, and rightly so, I suppose. That means they care, right?

Anyway, we still have fun remembering back to that time before we actually met. Jane lives so far away that I don't get to see her as often as I'd like, but you never know when the cell phone might ring and on the other end, there one of us will be in the middle of Rockefeller Center watching a Today Show Summer Series Concert and there the other one will be in the same vicinity, and five minutes later, we're having breakfast at Oscar's at the Waldorf Astoria as though it were yesterday since we'd seen each other.

Flame
Flame

August 15th, 2002, 4:21 pm #7

Ok, despite what you may have read via my posts...I will NOT attack (even if you do wear leather, LOL) and I'm not a serial killer!

I had the same concerns; took me a good while to post on the board and even longer to log into chat. I was afraid of what i call the cyber demon (someone lurking there to get personal information about me and then rob me or whatever). My husband saw me in chat, hit the roof, didn't want me using my name, giving out our address, sending photo's of myself etc. That is why I don't post under my real name (that and the fact I hate my name) and haven't posted my personal info under Who's Who on IAIS (since the info is then available to anyone on the internet). Perhaps in time I will become comfortable enough to put my info there, but just not yet. Those I've exchanged email addresses with know my real name etc. I haven't met any of the people on the board yet. I'm sharing a room in Albany with 2 of them (and we could only get a room with a king bed). One is sleeping on the floor and the other said she'd sleep standing up in a closet if she had to! And then three of us are going on up to Manchester (yes, the Thelma, Hey Louise & Flame RRT Tour you've probably read about). Actually, we talk on chat a lot and I have spoken to the ladies on the phone. I feel fine about it.

As everyone else said, follow your instinct. If if tells you that you're not in a safe situation, get out of it. I travel worldwide frequently for about 8 years now, often alone, and I always follow my gut feelings.

In Manchester, we are meeting at the Yard on the 22nd for a tribute band performance of Kenny LaBelle and The Diamond Collection, you can get the details from the Yard. In an earlier thread, the number of the Yard was posted.

I don't know if any of this helps you. The only other suggestion is if you find someone that lives near you and is attending the Manchester concert, perhaps you can arrange to meet for dinner at a restaurant sooner than the concert and take someone you trust with you so you will feel more comfortable and then you will at least know one person already. Also, the chat room that I frequent is Neil Diamond Chat which is seperate from this message board, here is the link:
http://www.neildiamondhomepage.com/ (the website is by Joe Imhof), if you'd like to drop by and chat some night. I am usually not on until 10 pm (EST) or later, though.

Joanne
Joanne

August 15th, 2002, 5:50 pm #8

...a 6 foot, 325 lb. prison guard. Children and animals run when they see me coming. I carry hand cuffs at all times, just in case....... As long as you behave yourself, no need to be afraid of me.

Ginny G.
Ginny G.

August 15th, 2002, 7:21 pm #9

That's why I won't come out East for the shows! You're just way tooooooo scary!

Joanne
Joanne

August 15th, 2002, 7:52 pm #10

Ginny, you and I know what "marshmallows" April 30th babies are, but not everybody does!!!