Home from Memphis

Home from Memphis

Bev
Bev

September 9th, 2002, 9:49 pm #1

I just got back home from Memphis, and wow, what a concert! Neil and the band put on a terrific show. Everyone seemed very pumped and into the show, and I thought the sound was even better than normal. Neil was in great voice, and I can't say enough about how engergetic Julia and Linda were. I don't know how they all do it. Neil had some nice things to say about Memphis. He talked about recording "Sweet Caroline," "Holly Holy" and "Brother Love" there. The whole show was wonderful, but for me, the highlight was "Holly Holy." It seemed like it was on a whole different level. I don't think I have ever heard it done any better. Hearing Neil sing "Boat That I Row" was another highlight because this is the first time I've heard him do it in concert. It's a really neat version with lots of animation from the string section and Tom and a short solo from the horn section. Neil played the guitar for four songs--"Sol. Man," "Boat That I Row," "Cherry Cherry" and "Red Red Wine." I'll post the song list for those interested in what is included on this leg of the tour.

America
Mission of Love
Hello Again
Love on the Rocks
Solitary Man
Boat That I Row
Cherry Cherry
Red Red Wine
I'm a Believer
Play Me
Sept. Morn
Soolaimon
If You Know What I Mean
Beautiful Noise
Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon
I Haven't Played This Song in Years
You Are the Best Part of Me
Forever in Blue Jeans
Band Intros/Starflight
Captain Sunshine
Holly Holy
Sweet Caroline
Flowers
Yes I Will/Lady Magdelene
Shilo
He Ain't Heavy
I Am...I Said
Cracklin' Rosie
Brother Love

Midnight Dream
Midnight Dream

September 9th, 2002, 10:37 pm #2

nd

Joanne
Joanne

September 9th, 2002, 10:42 pm #3

I just got back home from Memphis, and wow, what a concert! Neil and the band put on a terrific show. Everyone seemed very pumped and into the show, and I thought the sound was even better than normal. Neil was in great voice, and I can't say enough about how engergetic Julia and Linda were. I don't know how they all do it. Neil had some nice things to say about Memphis. He talked about recording "Sweet Caroline," "Holly Holy" and "Brother Love" there. The whole show was wonderful, but for me, the highlight was "Holly Holy." It seemed like it was on a whole different level. I don't think I have ever heard it done any better. Hearing Neil sing "Boat That I Row" was another highlight because this is the first time I've heard him do it in concert. It's a really neat version with lots of animation from the string section and Tom and a short solo from the horn section. Neil played the guitar for four songs--"Sol. Man," "Boat That I Row," "Cherry Cherry" and "Red Red Wine." I'll post the song list for those interested in what is included on this leg of the tour.

America
Mission of Love
Hello Again
Love on the Rocks
Solitary Man
Boat That I Row
Cherry Cherry
Red Red Wine
I'm a Believer
Play Me
Sept. Morn
Soolaimon
If You Know What I Mean
Beautiful Noise
Forever in Blue Jeans
Band Intros/Starflight
Captain Sunshine
Holly Holy
Sweet Caroline
Flowers
Shilo
He Ain't Heavy
I Am...I Said
Cracklin' Rosie
Brother Love
No one gave the song list for New Orleans, and I was really hoping that "Captain Sunshine" was still being done. I'm so happy that it is because I want my kids to hear Neil sing it when he comes to Manchester. Neil, PLEASE keep it in! I can't wait to hear "Holly Holy". That song always gets to me and it sounds like it's something else now! Three more days to work until Worcester!!

Rosie
Rosie

September 10th, 2002, 12:36 am #4

America
Mission of Love
Hello Again
Love on the Rocks
Solitary Man
Boat That I Row
Cherry Cherry
Red Red Wine
I'm a Believer
Play Me
Sept. Morn
Soolaimon
If You Know What I Mean
Beautiful Noise
Forever in Blue Jeans
Band Intros/Starflight
Captain Sunshine
Holly Holy
Sweet Caroline
Flowers
Shilo
He Ain't Heavy
I Am...I Said
Cracklin' Rosie
Brother Love
i hope he sings all of them in Albany. I am getting excited!!!

September 10th, 2002, 12:57 am #5

America
Mission of Love
Hello Again
Love on the Rocks
Solitary Man
Boat That I Row
Cherry Cherry
Red Red Wine
I'm a Believer
Play Me
Sept. Morn
Soolaimon
If You Know What I Mean
Beautiful Noise
Forever in Blue Jeans
Band Intros/Starflight
Captain Sunshine
Holly Holy
Sweet Caroline
Flowers
Shilo
He Ain't Heavy
I Am...I Said
Cracklin' Rosie
Brother Love
Glad to see you made it home safely, Bev.

We stayed over, waiting for our flight, and saw Neil off! He kindly posed for a group picture, taken with (yours truly)'s camera. I will get it developed and distributed to all interested parties as soon as possible.

He was very nice and greeted us all with that gorgeous smile of his. He told us all that he hoped to see us again soon. (duh!)

I hope everybody traveling today arrives at their destination safely.

I was telling Joan on the way to the airport, the only time I enjoy doing laundry is when I'm getting Neilclothes ready for the next trip! So, I'm smiling tonight!!!

It was a perfect weekend and a perfect Neilfix.
And it was so good to see the friends that mean so much to me.

NDchick
NDchick

September 10th, 2002, 1:22 am #6

America
Mission of Love
Hello Again
Love on the Rocks
Solitary Man
Boat That I Row
Cherry Cherry
Red Red Wine
I'm a Believer
Play Me
Sept. Morn
Soolaimon
If You Know What I Mean
Beautiful Noise
Forever in Blue Jeans
Band Intros/Starflight
Captain Sunshine
Holly Holy
Sweet Caroline
Flowers
Shilo
He Ain't Heavy
I Am...I Said
Cracklin' Rosie
Brother Love
fantastic concert! . . . the entire show was great. . . I just wished it could have lasted longer.
I found IAIS to be especially powerful. . . I have never heard Neil sing it with this much emotion in a concert before.

Eydie
Eydie

September 10th, 2002, 1:59 am #7

A stool is placed on the stage for Neil to sit on when doing this song, yet for some performances, he chooses not to sit in the chair. The performances where he stands to do it are reported to be the more powerful performances of this song. Think there's a connection?

Nan
Nan

September 10th, 2002, 2:16 am #8

I think when Neil chooses to stand while
singing "IAIS" and others, he is more emotionally charged, connected, and gives a more powerful rendition.

Linnie
Linnie

September 10th, 2002, 2:28 am #9

A stool is placed on the stage for Neil to sit on when doing this song, yet for some performances, he chooses not to sit in the chair. The performances where he stands to do it are reported to be the more powerful performances of this song. Think there's a connection?

were looking for, but a performer is able to draw more 'lung' power when he/she is standing over sitting. If a singer sits while singing a song, usually the performance comes across 'softer', more 'intimate', more poignant; if the same song is sung standing, it is usually sung with more 'power' and 'emotional outpouring'.

Of course, the one 'singer' that stands out for me, besides Neil, is Sinatra. Even in his 'heyday' when his voice was still very strong, he would tend to 'belt' his songs with more 'power' when he stood; when he sat on a stool, his performances came across 'softer' and with less intensity, but with more poignancy.

Karen
Karen

September 10th, 2002, 3:00 am #10

Glad to see you made it home safely, Bev.

We stayed over, waiting for our flight, and saw Neil off! He kindly posed for a group picture, taken with (yours truly)'s camera. I will get it developed and distributed to all interested parties as soon as possible.

He was very nice and greeted us all with that gorgeous smile of his. He told us all that he hoped to see us again soon. (duh!)

I hope everybody traveling today arrives at their destination safely.

I was telling Joan on the way to the airport, the only time I enjoy doing laundry is when I'm getting Neilclothes ready for the next trip! So, I'm smiling tonight!!!

It was a perfect weekend and a perfect Neilfix.
And it was so good to see the friends that mean so much to me.

Gosh, why didn't I say the heck with the kids' college money and come to the concert? I knew I would miss something great.