Deadbeats at Concerts (Long but I'm sure all of you will agree)

Deadbeats at Concerts (Long but I'm sure all of you will agree)

Steve Ketterer
Steve Ketterer

September 25th, 2002, 12:43 am #1

It's a sad state of affairs that some fans are still continuing to have problems enjoying themselves at concerts. From reading all of the problems some of you had over the past years, I've taken them to heart in two different perspectives: The performer and the fan. First I'll state the one most of you can relate to. Be forewarned however, I will be blunt in my statement.

THE FAN
You bought your ticket. You paid the 75 bucks to have fun. If you were going there to sleep in your seat, do all of us a favor and use the 75 bucks on a hotel room and a live CD. I could understand if maybe the person was disabled and unable to get out of the chair but to force those of us who paid to have fun to be as boring as you are is inexcusable. Do all of us a favor and stay home and watch a bootleg or something. I also find it ironic that these same people telling us to sit down are the ones who complain he didn't do any NEW material. THEN, they get up and head for the bathroom the minute he attempts to perform anything new.

THE PERFORMER
The last thing I want when I get on a stage is to play to a crowd who doesn't want to have fun. You go on stage looking for connection. When people stand and applaud and sing back at you, you've connected. There is truely no greater feeling on this planet for a performer than that. If it wasn't for those of us that do this at Neil's shows, he'd probably stay in his bedroom and play for the four walls. God knows the reponse would be about as good. Being a performer myself, I try to catch Neil in the New York City area every time I get a chance. Yeah, it's a two and a half hour drive for me but I have never seen a more fun loving crowd than New York City. Last week,in East Rutherford New Jersey, I sat in front of a lady who screamed Neil's name for over two hours and I loved every damn minute of it. She walked to her seat with a cane but as soon as that curtain went up, she was healed.

So my point is this! Don't waste your money if you don't want to see the ENTIRE show. The fact of the matter is, the crowd is part of that show. Neil counts on us as much as we count on him. This is with any performer. If you can't handle a live show and all of it's elements, please stay home and let those of us that enjoy the show do so.

NHChris
NHChris

September 25th, 2002, 12:56 am #2

I couldn't agree more. It only makes sense that we show Neil how much we appreciate him, the music, the lyrics by singing and dancing along with him. How else would he know that he is appreciated? Staring at 10,000 motionless bodies in chairs while you are giving it your all on the stage would be pretty depressing I would think. They should make certain sections "sitting only". I understand that some people have back problems, neck problems, leg, hip, whatever problems that may prevent them from being able to stand...so why not just have a couple of sections for "sitters"...just a thought.

CherylH
CherylH

September 25th, 2002, 1:17 am #3

It's a sad state of affairs that some fans are still continuing to have problems enjoying themselves at concerts. From reading all of the problems some of you had over the past years, I've taken them to heart in two different perspectives: The performer and the fan. First I'll state the one most of you can relate to. Be forewarned however, I will be blunt in my statement.

THE FAN
You bought your ticket. You paid the 75 bucks to have fun. If you were going there to sleep in your seat, do all of us a favor and use the 75 bucks on a hotel room and a live CD. I could understand if maybe the person was disabled and unable to get out of the chair but to force those of us who paid to have fun to be as boring as you are is inexcusable. Do all of us a favor and stay home and watch a bootleg or something. I also find it ironic that these same people telling us to sit down are the ones who complain he didn't do any NEW material. THEN, they get up and head for the bathroom the minute he attempts to perform anything new.

THE PERFORMER
The last thing I want when I get on a stage is to play to a crowd who doesn't want to have fun. You go on stage looking for connection. When people stand and applaud and sing back at you, you've connected. There is truely no greater feeling on this planet for a performer than that. If it wasn't for those of us that do this at Neil's shows, he'd probably stay in his bedroom and play for the four walls. God knows the reponse would be about as good. Being a performer myself, I try to catch Neil in the New York City area every time I get a chance. Yeah, it's a two and a half hour drive for me but I have never seen a more fun loving crowd than New York City. Last week,in East Rutherford New Jersey, I sat in front of a lady who screamed Neil's name for over two hours and I loved every damn minute of it. She walked to her seat with a cane but as soon as that curtain went up, she was healed.

So my point is this! Don't waste your money if you don't want to see the ENTIRE show. The fact of the matter is, the crowd is part of that show. Neil counts on us as much as we count on him. This is with any performer. If you can't handle a live show and all of it's elements, please stay home and let those of us that enjoy the show do so.
thank you and I am so very glad that nobody asked me to sit down and be quiet because there is no way I could have contained myself.

Joanne
Joanne

September 25th, 2002, 1:19 am #4

THE FAN

THE PERFORMER

Marilyn
Marilyn

September 25th, 2002, 1:23 am #5

THE FAN

THE PERFORMER

This is not the crowd that needs to hear it. I doubt that anyone in here fits your "fan" description. Do you agree? I can't imagine anyone on this board being a deadbeat at Neil's concerts!

Steve Ketterer
Steve Ketterer

September 25th, 2002, 2:31 am #6

I don't think this board would be so successful if we weren't!

Z.
Z.

September 25th, 2002, 2:36 am #7

I couldn't agree more. It only makes sense that we show Neil how much we appreciate him, the music, the lyrics by singing and dancing along with him. How else would he know that he is appreciated? Staring at 10,000 motionless bodies in chairs while you are giving it your all on the stage would be pretty depressing I would think. They should make certain sections "sitting only". I understand that some people have back problems, neck problems, leg, hip, whatever problems that may prevent them from being able to stand...so why not just have a couple of sections for "sitters"...just a thought.
I don't agree with the idea (not your idea- I'm just commenting on the thread) of labeling the "stay seated" people as "deadbeats". I had thought that meant "a person who avoids paying his/her share". The people who prefer to sit are NOT cheapskates or people who snuck into the arena for free or used a fake ticket. They paid their money fairly, and are not "deadbeats".

I think your idea of a "sitting section" is an excellent compromise. There are people with kids, and the kids also cost $75 a pop. Some kids are 4-5 feet tall, and it just seems unfair that these kids can't see a thing because some 6'3" guy just happens to be in the seat in front of them. Mom isn't about to put an 80-100lb kid on her shoulders and arena security wouldn't let the kids stand on seats for safety reasons. People are not seated by height in a concert venue, so the option of "let the kids and short people sit in the front" is not exactly a universally acccepted notion, after all, getting in the front rows is "luck of the draw". I think the idea of "Seated sections" sounds good. The people who like to stand up and dance can buy their seats in the "general section" and not get the tap on the shoulder and the glare, and the people who either can't stand all night, or are height disadvantaged can choose a section that best suits their needs.

Good call!

J. D.
J. D.

September 25th, 2002, 2:52 am #8

THE FAN

THE PERFORMER

Not Everyone Going To Find Neil Such A Great Singer And Only Go To His Concerts Cause Some Girlfriend Draged Him There!I Saw This Happen At One Neil Concert Years Ago, And It Didn't Bring Me To Not Enjoying The Concert!! I'm Not A Neil Diamond Fan, But A Fan Of His Music, A Fan Of Many Other Singers Songs, Written By Them Or Not!!! Except It, Not Everyone Goes To A Concert To Jump, Shout, Dance Cause They Feel The Music, I Never Done It, Never Well, But Those That Do It Bring Such Laughter To Others!!!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 25th, 2002, 5:51 am #9

My sister is very reserved at concerts, but she leaves the arena with as big of smile on her face and with as much enthusiasm as me, which means the performer did his/her/their job(s) for both of us . (On the other hand, I don't go overboard, but I'm definitely no MUTE! haha)

And I'd roll my eyes at anyone if they thought my sister was less of a fan, nor not a fan at all, just because she didn't enjoy it the way she was "supposed to." They don't know her, probably never will. They don't know what her CD collection looks like, don't know how she speaks of that artist, probably never will. So they should just shut their lil' pieholes.

Hehe. j/k

But y'all get the point, right? I just can't stand people being so judgemental of people they don't even know... or judgemental just because they're different than themselves.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 25th, 2002, 5:55 am #10

THE FAN

THE PERFORMER

The performer will know it and feel it, if it's there. The crowds in Japan are far more reserved than American audiences, but you don't see many artists shunning them just because of that. They appreciate the show in their own way, and the artists understand that. I wish crowds had that same kind of understanding...