Billy Joel "We didn't Start a Fire" Neil "Done Too Soon"

Billy Joel "We didn't Start a Fire" Neil "Done Too Soon"

Jade
Jade

August 16th, 2002, 5:08 am #1

Is a lot like "Done Too Soon." While it is a better song than "Done Too Soon" it is clear that Joel had to have got this idea from ND.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 16th, 2002, 1:35 pm #2

as a history lesson. At my school, we didn't use it in history class, but we DID sing it for a choir concert with some of the kids (not me! lol) dressed up as celebrities in the song and had props and an overhead projector showing pictures of celebrities and historical photos. And we had a little dance routine where we clapped and stepped back and forth during the chorus, LOLOLOL....

Lyrics and info here.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 16th, 2002, 1:38 pm #3

hehe

Janice
Janice

August 16th, 2002, 3:08 pm #4

Is a lot like "Done Too Soon." While it is a better song than "Done Too Soon" it is clear that Joel had to have got this idea from ND.
My husband is a HUGE Joel fan (as I am a Neil fan) and I often tease him about that. Inspiration has to come from somewhere!

Rich
Rich

August 16th, 2002, 4:35 pm #5

a string of names of the famous...in Joels'song, which also references events, they are political/historical in nature and history is the theme...in ND's tune they are random names he used because they rhymed...clearly Caryl Chessman, Ho Chi Minh & Karl Marx were definitely not "Done Too Soon"...I can't see Joel getting the "history in a nutshell" idea from ND, but maybe the use of names...

Jade
Jade

August 16th, 2002, 5:58 pm #6

Songs are very much alike.

Sue UK
Sue UK

August 16th, 2002, 7:55 pm #7

a string of names of the famous...in Joels'song, which also references events, they are political/historical in nature and history is the theme...in ND's tune they are random names he used because they rhymed...clearly Caryl Chessman, Ho Chi Minh & Karl Marx were definitely not "Done Too Soon"...I can't see Joel getting the "history in a nutshell" idea from ND, but maybe the use of names...
and what I would have posted if you hadn't beaten me to it and put it far better than I could have. As I see it, the theme of 'Done Too Soon' is something that goes deeper than politics, namely humanity - the only thing the people listed have in common, be they good, bad or whatever, is their humanity. And sorry, Jade, I don't want to start an argument, but I think the 'sun' is literally the sun - the same one that we, as well as they, have sweated under. For me it doesn't represent the same thing as the 'fire', but it's just a common factor that every human being in the world in every age can relate to.

Rich
Rich

August 16th, 2002, 8:18 pm #8

Songs are very much alike.
war, strife, human suffering and politcal turmoil...as I remember it came out about the time of Desert Storm...it was also maybe a rebuttal to those that say that it was with his generation, the 60's, that things really started going down hill...

Jade
Jade

August 16th, 2002, 8:47 pm #9

No matter how you slice it.

Catherine
Catherine

August 17th, 2002, 2:06 am #10

I just love that Billy Joel song!