Z-M 32nd AH-1 Skyraider....(4pics)

Z-M 32nd AH-1 Skyraider....(4pics)

May 9th, 2012, 4:51 am #1

This could very well have been posted under that thread about using markings that weren't "authentic", 'cause they ain't. I didn't wanna use the Bumble Bee thing and I didn't have as many 32nd 'spares' as I'd thought. So I improvised. Anyhow, it looks passable to me and I'm the only one that matters, right?

I managed to assemble the model with the gear up, even though the instructions made no provisions for such an option. The doors had rather complicated hinge assemblies molded in, so there was no real way to know for sure if they'd fit correctly. I threw caution to the wind and pulled out the razor saw.

For some reason, my pilot didn't wanna scrunch down far enough for the [closed] canopy to sit on the rails, so he's "ridin' the wind" on this flight. And unlike most builds I've seen of this bird, I went easy on the exhaust staining. Didn't wanna take a chance on ruining what was, to me, a satisfactory build.

And for those of you who (and you know who you are), that noticed that the tail wheel should be retracted, there's a good reason for that. Well....at least a reason. AFTER I installed the assembly and closed up the rear fuselage, it became painfully obvious that I should have done that differently. Ok...I messed up (again) - anyway, it's stayin' like it is.
Oh...and if you notice any cat hairs, just ignore 'em - I do. Constructive (or otherwise) comments joyfully accepted.

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

May 9th, 2012, 1:54 pm #2

from ceiling. I understand about building gear up. Most makers ignore this mode and I think it it ashame.

Keep em flying!

Philip & Maximilian(Doing fine at school)

Head of Ranch Security, Song Dog, Texas

Where has all the music gone?

May 9th, 2012, 2:43 pm #3

May 9th, 2012, 6:27 pm #4

This could very well have been posted under that thread about using markings that weren't "authentic", 'cause they ain't. I didn't wanna use the Bumble Bee thing and I didn't have as many 32nd 'spares' as I'd thought. So I improvised. Anyhow, it looks passable to me and I'm the only one that matters, right?

I managed to assemble the model with the gear up, even though the instructions made no provisions for such an option. The doors had rather complicated hinge assemblies molded in, so there was no real way to know for sure if they'd fit correctly. I threw caution to the wind and pulled out the razor saw.

For some reason, my pilot didn't wanna scrunch down far enough for the [closed] canopy to sit on the rails, so he's "ridin' the wind" on this flight. And unlike most builds I've seen of this bird, I went easy on the exhaust staining. Didn't wanna take a chance on ruining what was, to me, a satisfactory build.

And for those of you who (and you know who you are), that noticed that the tail wheel should be retracted, there's a good reason for that. Well....at least a reason. AFTER I installed the assembly and closed up the rear fuselage, it became painfully obvious that I should have done that differently. Ok...I messed up (again) - anyway, it's stayin' like it is.
Oh...and if you notice any cat hairs, just ignore 'em - I do. Constructive (or otherwise) comments joyfully accepted.

Hats off to you !!!

Seriously, a nice build and you had fun and it looks good.

I like your comments on the exhaust stains....how many times do we make models only to "over do" them with fancy finishs that actually ruin them....(lots of paint peel on Japanese aircraft---if you know what I mean.)

I have'nt started mine yet, but you give me hope I can get a decent result.

Keep up the good work !! ( keep up operative word,as I thought theres a $150.00 dollar model hanging from the ceiling !!!)

George

May 9th, 2012, 6:40 pm #5

and have been dreading actually starting it for fear of screwin' the pooch somewhere along the line (which, by the way, I inevitably did, but I'm not tellin' where).

As for "keeping it up", I've yet to have one fall outta the ceiling yet!

May 9th, 2012, 7:39 pm #6

Way to go, man; that thing must be a BEAST in 1/32 scale!

The paint job real sharp and, like you, although the bumblebee markings are nice, I think i've seen them on way too many Skyraider models so yours not sporting them is a welcome sight, ha!

The pilot looks cool sitting up a little higher with the model tilted down at the nose; looks like he's about to enter into a steep dive!

Cheers!

Rickster
Last edited by RRman on May 9th, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 7:45 pm #7

has about a 20" wingspan. As for the pilot, I dunno what happened there. I even did the obligatory hind-end surgery and he still sat a tad too high. Oh well - at least it's a warm day out.

May 9th, 2012, 7:48 pm #8

more nerve than me. Thanks for sharing.

Remember...... Happiness can be cured. See me for further details.

May 9th, 2012, 9:23 pm #9

Really well done ,beautiful paint and weathering.

Serge Dompierre
Last edited by Serge Dompierre on May 9th, 2012, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

May 10th, 2012, 4:19 am #10

more nerve than me. Thanks for sharing.

Remember...... Happiness can be cured. See me for further details.