Z-K Do335 question

Z-K Do335 question

April 5th, 2018, 5:52 am #1

Did this bird ever see combat (single or 2 seater). The majority of the pictures that I've found (especially the A 12), the bird is in captured colors. I'm assuming that the front cowl is a medium grey with aluminum engine covers. Am I on the right track about the cowling on the 2 seater?

Thanks in advance, you guys have helped me more than you know. I've been down fighting three types of cancer for the last 18 months and I won. I'm celebrating by getting back into modeling with Z-K's Anteater and this forum has been great.

Thanks a lot.

Don Van Hook

April 5th, 2018, 6:02 am #2

Glad you're clear. Enjoy the build!
Last edited by hyperscale on April 5th, 2018, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2018, 6:10 am #3

Did this bird ever see combat (single or 2 seater). The majority of the pictures that I've found (especially the A 12), the bird is in captured colors. I'm assuming that the front cowl is a medium grey with aluminum engine covers. Am I on the right track about the cowling on the 2 seater?

Thanks in advance, you guys have helped me more than you know. I've been down fighting three types of cancer for the last 18 months and I won. I'm celebrating by getting back into modeling with Z-K's Anteater and this forum has been great.

Thanks a lot.

Don Van Hook
IIRC close to the German surrender one was spotted by some Tempests from RAF 3 Squadron, while it was apparently on a test flight. It was able to sprint away. AFAIK the two seater was more a concept than a reality.

April 5th, 2018, 6:28 am #4

Thanks a lot.

Don Van Hook
Don that is wonderful you were victorious N/T
Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

April 5th, 2018, 7:14 am #5

Thanks a lot.

Don Van Hook
For the sentiments gents. When I heard "Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer", I freaked. After almost 18 months of Platinum based Chemo (every day), 8 months ago, my Oncologist put me on Keytruda every 21 days between treatments and the tumors are gone.

Thankful and now have a good reason to build something.

Thanks a lot

dvh

April 5th, 2018, 1:23 pm #6

Don that is wonderful you were victorious N/T
Very nice

April 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm #7

IIRC close to the German surrender one was spotted by some Tempests from RAF 3 Squadron, while it was apparently on a test flight. It was able to sprint away. AFAIK the two seater was more a concept than a reality.
Plenty of photos of two-seat '335s can be found on line and in books.

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/mt/do335_04.shtml

One was brought to the UK after the war where it was flown by Eric "Winkle" Brown. Tragically, a fire in the rear engine caused it to crash on a later flight, killing the test pilot Group Captain Alan Hards.

Cheers,
Eric

April 5th, 2018, 2:17 pm #8

Malcolm, Just a bit confused on your terminology.

"Concept" usually refers to a design that was in the conceptual stage including drawings, stats, and (possibly) wind tunnel or initial mockup hardware. We also have numerous airliner "concept" models at the museum showing various jetliners in airline markings which were never purchased by the "targeted" company.

"Reality" usually refers to actual hardware, prototypes, flight hardware, etc.

As the Do 335 two-seater aircraft actually existed, and were test flown, I can only assume you mean "concept" in the vein of actual operations vice test only. However, that approach would apply to the entire Do 335 program as even the single-seaters did not see any operational use.

Would you mind clarifying your understanding of the terminology?
Thanks, Bill

April 5th, 2018, 3:12 pm #9

Thanks a lot.

Don Van Hook
According to the info provided in the Eagle Cals 1/48 Do 335 sheet, one single seat Pfeil was shot down by a P-51 in Dec 1944 while the Dornier was en route to a base for maintenance.

This particular Do 335 is one of the subject a/c featured on the sheet.

April 5th, 2018, 3:40 pm #10

Crashed while on a transfer flight from Oberpfaffenhofen to Rechlin, pilot killed. december 24, 1944.

April '45, a Tempest and P-51, on different occasions, chased a Do 335, but were easily outpaced.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

'Storm's A-Comin' Baby'