You're Really Getting Old If You Remember ~~~

You're Really Getting Old If You Remember ~~~

June 30th, 2018, 12:50 am #1

You're really getting old if you remember ...

The TV game show CONCENTRATION

Queen For A Day

Dragnet

The Cisco Kid

When Art Fleming hosted Jeopardy

The Millionaire ... John Veres Vertipton

Brill-cream --- A Little Dab'l Do Ya

Mickey Mantle using Gillette shaving cream

Rocky Marciano

January 1, 1953 --- Hank Williams death announcement

Okay ... now it's your turn to add to the list ~~~

June 30th, 2018, 1:48 am #2

I remember them all except Hank Williams—we weren't country music fans.  But worse yet, I did camera once (briefly and disastrously) on Jeopardy when Art Fleming was hosting in 1979!

June 30th, 2018, 1:57 am #3

Rotary phones and how to use one, phone numbers that had letter prefixes instead of numbers, also phone booths. Cars with no air conditioning, and houses with no air conditioning. I grew up with both. TV stations that ended their broadcasting day like at 1 a.m.then snow. the number of TV stations could be counted on two hands. You had a 13 inch black and white if you were lucky anywhere as a second set, while your parents had the big screen which, was all of 27 in and a console at that, in the living room. Your father's TV remote was you!
There were no seat belts in the backseat of your father's huge 4-door sedan and the folks up front didn't use the ones that they had! Heck and on long trips when you were small enough the old man let you lay on the package shelf on the back window!
When you rode your bike there was no such thing as a bike helmet and when your father patched your flat tires, he used a Vulcanizing patch that after he put it on, he lit the thing on fire and I'm telling you as an avid cyclist and not being able to successfully patch a tire myself these days , when the old man patched a tire that sucker stayed patched!
Max Bryant
Last edited by takenname1 on June 30th, 2018, 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

June 30th, 2018, 1:58 am #4

Partylines and only one corded phone in the house, usually in the kitchen or living room. If you were luchy, you could get 2 TV channels.

Chris
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

June 30th, 2018, 2:37 am #5

I have to tell the Truth here ... I NEVER listened in on other people on our party-line .phone ... Yeah, right !!!  

Attn ... Neptune ~~  The thing that recall about Art and Jeopardy was the day the answer was "I am the figure on the bow of a sailing ship."

A lady contestant rang in and said, "What is a maidenhead ?"

With a very straight face, Fleming replied, "I'm sorry.  That is incorrect !!"

I was very young and had no idea what a maidenhead was, but I did know the correct answer !!  

Attn... Max ~~  Yes I too recall those cars with no seat belts and sleeping on the back seat, etc.  Dad had a 1936 Ford Coupe, but later got a 1940 four door.  A couple of stories -- I recall when he and Mom drove from Pensacola to Mississippi to get married.  We three kids all were small enuff to fit in the back seat !!!  On the way home a storm had moved in and as we crossed the Mobile Bay Causeway water was washing over the low roadway.  We stopped out there for gas and bathroom break.   When I came out, another black Ford had pulled in between us and the building.  I was so tired I tried to get in the wrong car.  

Even in 1955 in Macon,Georgia we did not have a tv and went to the neighbors to watch sometimes.  Dad wanted to see Rocky Marciano in a title fight and we went to a friends for that.  At times he would go see someone out in the country for moonshine and Mama was always so afraid that he would get some that might kill him.  We didn't get a tv at home until 1956 when we moved back to Pensacola.

One time about 1952, a kid dared me to put a match to a fallen dead pine tree in the middle of a dry broom-sage field ... one hell of a fire --- many fire trucks and the fire chief gave me one heck of a talking to, but Dad gave me a "fine southern butt whipping" with his leather belt !!!  

I got another one when one day, for God-Only-Knows why ... I led my two younger sisters and filled the gas tank of the old Ford with sand !!!  

June 30th, 2018, 4:04 am #6

Some local SoCal television shows-

Billy Barty’s Big Top
Hobo Kelly
The Groovy Show 9 Filmed at local SoCal beaches
Cal Worthington car commercials ( He was a P-51pilot)
The L.A. Thunderbirds on Roller Derby from the Olympic 

And on radio- The Wolfman Jack show, 
93 KHJ “Boss Radio - Machine Gun Kelly, Charlie Tuna and the real Don Steele
Dr. Dimento o
And the greatest broadcaster in sports history- Vin Sculy

June 30th, 2018, 6:05 am #7

More SoCal...Gary Owens on KMPC AM radio (owned by Gene Autry).
Dick Lane doing wrestling form the Olympic Stadium on KTLA (also owned by Gene Autry)...
Sheriff John and Engineer Bill on KHJ...
Tom Hatten drawing squiggles and showing Popeye cartoons on KTLA...
Korla Pandit playing organ and seducing housewives with his eyes on KTLA (he was an actually African American named John Roland Redd, who adopted a French-Indian identity so he could get work)...
The Kathy Lee Fiscus tragedy—my parents bought their first TV in 1949.  When they first turned it on, KTLA was in extended live coverage of the ultimately unsuccessful rescue attempt. That's a second-hand memory for me.
The Army-McCarthy hearings, I was five years old, so that's also possibly a second-hand memory...
Green Stamps with full-service gasoline fill-ups...

June 30th, 2018, 2:34 pm #8

It was and is Brylcreem, Brill cream is something you could conceivably put on a stretcar, trolley or bus...

And it was and is Dr Demento, otherwise the play on words would fall flat on its face.

Information not shared is information lost.

June 30th, 2018, 3:19 pm #9

Baseball cards in bicycle spokes, Saturday mornings -  "Out of the blue of the western skies - Sky King!", Roy Rogers. "Whirlybirds" T.V. show in the 50's. Actually telling the phone operator what number you wanted every time you called someone. Small neighborhood grocery stores.

June 30th, 2018, 5:46 pm #10

TV repairmen who came to your house.
Vacuum tube testers in drug stores.