You're Really Getting Old If You Remember ~~~

July 2nd, 2018, 5:44 pm #21

You're getting old if you remember walking down a dirt road, going to school, that was a small, single room building, that had a wood-burning stove for heat and boys/girls outhouses.

Chris
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

July 2nd, 2018, 6:28 pm #22

blueangelmodeler wrote: You're really getting old if you remember ...

The TV game show CONCENTRATION

Queen For A Day

Dragnet

The Cisco Kid

When Art Fleming hosted Jeopardy

The Millionaire ... John Veres Vertipton

Brill-cream --- A Little Dab'l Do Ya

Mickey Mantle using Gillette shaving cream

Rocky Marciano

January 1, 1953 --- Hank Williams death announcement

Okay ... now it's your turn to add to the list ~~~
and you're even older when you cannot remember.

Millionaire: John Beresford Tipton

Mantle did not do Gillette shaving cream ads. Stengel did. Feller did blades. Mantle did tobacco ads, Viceroy, Phillies (OH MY!)
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

I really don't care, do U?

Zu Asche zu Staub

July 2nd, 2018, 7:02 pm #23

Waking up excited for what fun and adventure a new day would bring. Leaving the house at 9am. Grabbing my bat and glove and my bike, which btw was left outside overnight with no worries that it would be taken. Then going over to my friend's house and not using the doorbell, cuz there probably wasn't one, or even knocking for that matter. Calling out yo Jim, yo Tim, yo Stevie, you Billie. And one by one getting my friends together to share that days  adventure and fun. Then going over to the school parking lot or the dirt field next to the church. Playing ball all day 2 or 3 games. Taking a break to pool all of our money and go up to the corner Ma and Pa store and buy one or two Pepsi's of which everyone shared. If we had no money we would find a garden hose to drink out of. Then if we got hungry we should all go to our houses and gulp down whatever our Ma's had around. Then back to the field. If not another baseball game we would go ride our bikes if my Mother ever knew where I was and distances I rode she would certainly been angry. But most of our Dads got home around 5pm and it would be dinner time
So once again we ran home to gulp down dinner, which by the way my Mom prepared for my Dad, so if you didn't like it too bad cuz Ma didn't run a restaurant!
But it was back outside to meet up with my friends again and we usually hung out in the alley playing kick-the-can, dodgeball or something. Then we all had to be home at dark or no later than 9:30.
If I did not come home on my own Ma or Dad would yell out the back door for me, no more than twice and that was my signal that if I  didn't get home soon you
I would have to answer to my Dad.
It's amazing how back then you would leave the house early in the morning and not have to be back until dark! You only came home to have dinner real quick and that was the only time during the course of 12 plus hours that either of your parents saw you! No 500.00 Phone/Computer in your pocket for anyone to Tweet, Facebook, Facetime or text you. And there were no worries with you being  incommunicado.....

Then I went home to a hot, unairconditioned house. If I watched TV it was what my Dad wanted to watch, so I grabbed a model and built it while sitting in the living room with my parents.

Cheers
Max Bryant
Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

July 3rd, 2018, 12:01 am #24

Going out to dinner was an event; traveling on a plane and/or train required a suit and tie.

July 3rd, 2018, 2:15 am #25

Yep, short of going to McDonalds, A&W, Wendy's, Burger King, or Kentucky Fried Chicken (BTW NOT KFC )  which ok you did not have to be too dressed up, if Mom and Dad took the family out to a  sit down dinner you had to be clean, smell clean,  properly clothed, mind your manners and boys/men took off their hats or ball caps as they sat down to eat.

Oh yeah and if you were acting up say when out shopping with mom and dad, dad would first threaten to take you out to the car if you did not settle down and if  you and/or your sibs still didn't get it, off to the car  you went  and sat quietly inside or got a swat across you backside before dad or mom  would  once you settle back down, walk you back inside the store/mall etc.

July 3rd, 2018, 2:44 am #26

takenname1 wrote: Waking up excited for what fun and adventure a new day would bring. Leaving the house at 9am. Grabbing my bat and glove and my bike, which btw was left outside overnight with no worries that it would be taken. Then going over to my friend's house and not using the doorbell, cuz there probably wasn't one, or even knocking for that matter. Calling out yo Jim, yo Tim, yo Stevie, you Billie. And one by one getting my friends together to share that days  adventure and fun. Then going over to the school parking lot or the dirt field next to the church. Playing ball all day 2 or 3 games. Taking a break to pool all of our money and go up to the corner Ma and Pa store and buy one or two Pepsi's of which everyone shared. If we had no money we would find a garden hose to drink out of. Then if we got hungry we should all go to our houses and gulp down whatever our Ma's had around. Then back to the field. If not another baseball game we would go ride our bikes if my Mother ever knew where I was and distances I rode she would certainly been angry. But most of our Dads got home around 5pm and it would be dinner time
So once again we ran home to gulp down dinner, which by the way my Mom prepared for my Dad, so if you didn't like it too bad cuz Ma didn't run a restaurant!
But it was back outside to meet up with my friends again and we usually hung out in the alley playing kick-the-can, dodgeball or something. Then we all had to be home at dark or no later than 9:30.
If I did not come home on my own Ma or Dad would yell out the back door for me, no more than twice and that was my signal that if I  didn't get home soon you
I would have to answer to my Dad.
It's amazing how back then you would leave the house early in the morning and not have to be back until dark! You only came home to have dinner real quick and that was the only time during the course of 12 plus hours that either of your parents saw you! No 500.00 Phone/Computer in your pocket for anyone to Tweet, Facebook, Facetime or text you. And there were no worries with you being  incommunicado.....

Then I went home to a hot, unairconditioned house. If I watched TV it was what my Dad wanted to watch, so I grabbed a model and built it while sitting in the living room with my parents.

Cheers
Max Bryant
Ah, A townie kid. I grew up out in the country. The closest kid was a quarter mile either way on a dirt road. We played in the fields and forests around our homes. Lots of ponds and streams and quiet shady spots. As long as you didn't mess with stuff, most neighbours didn't mind if you walked cross-lots. We didn't play much baseball because the closest diamond was at least 3 miles away and there weren't enough kids in a mile radius to make up two teams. No cell phones, only partylines on a landline. No street lights either. At best there was a 60 watt bulb for yard light above the backdoor.

Chris

July 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am #27

You know you are getting old when you remember Saturday morning cartoons, you'd wake up say by 8:00am and till about 12:00 noon you'd  be in your PJ's and watching  cartoons such  as  The Pink Panther, Fat Albert, Super friends, Speed Racer and others. Later on out in Western Canada back in the day Saturday's at 4:00pm CBC would televise  The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour. Classic Warner Bros. cartoons, Bugs, Daffy, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Sylvester and Tweetie bird, Pepe LePeu, Speedy Gonzales and his buddy Slow PoIk Rodriguez, Marvin Martian, Yosemite Sam and of course Wylie Coyote  (Genius) and the Road Runner. BTW who here so wanted Wylie to catch that damn Road Runner. I DID! After that at 5:00pm Saturday Pacific (October till May) Hockey Night In Canada would  be on, for me being a HUGE Montreal Canadiens fan   and they were very much in their glory years with 6 Stanley Cup  wins in 10 seasons through 1970's, Any Habs game was MUST SEE T.V.  FOR ME  back then. After HNIC at 8:00pm Pacific the Tommy Hunter Show was on and my mom enjoyed watching  his  show   back then.

OBTW, "What do you get when you run a lawn mower over the tweetie bird?"
SHREDDED TWEET!  lol

July 3rd, 2018, 10:03 am #28

One more thing, for me growing up as a kid through the 70's and into my teens and  young adult  years in the 80's I WOULD NOT TRADE THOSE 20  OR SO YEARS FOR ANYTHING! I am 100% grateful for the childhood and adolescence I had  even with some proverbial warts and all, good parents and family life for me  with some very  good buddies/friends and  good times.  No it was not perfect, and yes I had hardships,  some  bullying  and such,  but all in all my memory is set in stone of that era for me.

July 3rd, 2018, 2:19 pm #29

Gordon, although my time was the 60's and in Eastern Canada, it was much the same. Except for the hockey. No one at home watched it, so I never took any interest in it, or any other sports for that matter. And like you, I wouldn't change a thing.

Chris

July 3rd, 2018, 4:24 pm #30

You're really getting old if you remember MINNIE PEARL FRIED CHICKEN !!!

Saturday morning TV that I watched was MY FRIEND FLICKA, Sky King, Lassie, etc.

Movies --- THE BOWERY BOYS, FRANCIS THE TALKING MULE, DEAN MARTIN AND JERRY LEWIS  ...