YF-100 questions

YF-100 questions

August 8th, 2011, 1:59 pm #1

I am building a model of the prototype F-100
and would like to know
1. Did if have the YF-100 logo on both sides of the fuselage or just the starboard side?
2. Can anyone please tell me if there is a gap between the aft end of the wing root and the fuselage (circled in photo). The photo below makes it look as if there is but I have not seen evidence of it anywhere else so is it a trick of the light?

[/IMG]

3. The ring at the aft end of the fuselage looks different to any of the subsequent versions - almost no taper. Any comments on why this might be

John

August 8th, 2011, 11:32 pm #2

Looking at all of the photos of 754 I've found online, not a single one has "YF-100" on the left side of the nose. Of course, that doesn't mean it didn't have it on both sides.

There definitely is a gap where you've circled. You can see the shadow of the wing in your photo and and the gap shows up pretty well in other photos.

There was sometimes a shroud covering that exhaust. I think it was only fitted to the two YF-100s.

I've read somewhere that there were differences between the fuselages of the YFs and the rest of the F-100s. The intake shape looks different to me. Note that the YFs had the shorter wings of the early production F-100As. Check the distance between the ends of the slats and the wing tip and compare it to a C or D.

I think Detail & Scale has said that the Lindberg F-100 is actually a YF. Sure looks like one. I've always wanted to use parts from a Monogram kit to dress one up.

Cheers!

Ben