Joined: March 22nd, 2018, 7:25 pm

May 16th, 2018, 7:47 pm #11

While I'm asking stuff, how about interior colors, standard Curtiss-colored cockpit or an equivalent of RAF interior green? Been looking for that too, no luck yet.

(I see Cockpit Light Green on the DuPont chart, kinda hoping for that actually.)
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 22nd, 2018, 7:25 pm

May 16th, 2018, 8:10 pm #12

One more item, the sky spinner and fuselage band, were one or both factory-painted by Curtiss with Dupont equivalents or field-applied with real Sky by the RAF?
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 19th, 2013, 12:49 am

May 17th, 2018, 5:18 pm #13

Hi!
  ALL of the new Airfix 1/48th scale P-40/Tomahawk kits have the provision for the camera. Most of the parts are on the clear sprue.

Bruce
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 19th, 2013, 2:09 pm

May 17th, 2018, 7:25 pm #14

stilltubeglue wrote: While I'm asking stuff, how about interior colors, standard Curtiss-colored cockpit or an equivalent of RAF interior green? Been looking for that too, no luck yet.

(I see Cockpit Light Green on the DuPont chart, kinda hoping for that actually.)
All Hawks/P-40s painted the same inside.  Apple Green.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 19th, 2013, 2:09 pm

May 17th, 2018, 7:26 pm #15

stilltubeglue wrote: One more item, the sky spinner and fuselage band, were one or both factory-painted by Curtiss with Dupont equivalents or field-applied with real Sky by the RAF?
Hawks for the RAF left the factory with Dark Earth Spinners. Unit and ID marking would be applied by the RAF.  If you look closely at pictures, the band and underside are different tones.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 5th, 2015, 9:16 am

May 17th, 2018, 11:29 pm #16

samodeldad wrote:
stilltubeglue wrote: While I'm asking stuff, how about interior colors, standard Curtiss-colored cockpit or an equivalent of RAF interior green? Been looking for that too, no luck yet.

(I see Cockpit Light Green on the DuPont chart, kinda hoping for that actually.)
All Hawks/P-40s painted the same inside.  Apple Green.
Sandy light green
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 22nd, 2018, 7:25 pm

May 18th, 2018, 12:48 pm #17

Tripletdad wrote: Hi!
  ALL of the new Airfix 1/48th scale P-40/Tomahawk kits have the provision for the camera. Most of the parts are on the clear sprue.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce! I ordered one yesterday, the original PH/AVG boxing. In a combination of support for brick&mortar and laziness lol I also got caught up on the 1/48 P-51D kits I'm missing, ordered a Hobbyboss, a Meng and an Airfix from one of the LHS's. Well not really local it's Hobbytown USA but local people work in there ha ha ha...yes we're lucky here in Milwaukee we still have a few shops left, even though our best one is gone. It was a real Mom & Pop outfit, with a Mom & Pop. To OUR credit they went out of business the old-fashioned way, they died.
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 28th, 2005, 2:06 pm

May 19th, 2018, 10:52 am #18

I am pleased to see that someone other than me has noticed the different tones of the fighter Command markings and the undersurfaces.  Nick M and I have had a controversial debate about this.  Nick is adamant that the undersurfaces remained the Dupont colour.  I disagree with that.  The undersurface colours of those Tomahawks is the same tone as the code letters which are Medium Sea Grey.  The spinner and fuselage band are lighter than the undersurface.  All artwork shows these features the same colour, when it is obviously not so.   The Dupont Sky is lighter in tone than MAP Sky so why are the undersurfaces darker than the band and spinner?  And is the band and spinner Sky or some other colour since in early 1941 there was still a shortage of MAP Sky, priority went to factory production.   A pale blue is known to have been used instead, MAP Sky Blue, might that be the case here?  But what of the dark undersurfaces?  I believe, but have no evidence other than observation, that the RAF might have had the undersurfaces repainted during erection since the Dupont colour was so pale.   So two options here.  Darker repainted underneath with MAP Sky markings and grey codes or  Dupont underneath with MAP Sky Blue markings.  What might a repainted underside be finished with?  Eau-di-Nil has been postulated in the past since is a more green version of MAP Sky and was available in the right specification as for limited cockpit use by Supermarine on early Spitfires.  Some close up photographs show evidence of over spray on the radiator and cowling which is different to the usual Curtiss colour line.  
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 19th, 2013, 2:09 pm

May 19th, 2018, 1:07 pm #19

Mikestarmer wrote: I am pleased to see that someone other than me has noticed the different tones of the fighter Command markings and the undersurfaces.  Nick M and I have had a controversial debate about this.  Nick is adamant that the undersurfaces remained the Dupont colour.  I disagree with that.  The undersurface colours of those Tomahawks is the same tone as the code letters which are Medium Sea Grey.  The spinner and fuselage band are lighter than the undersurface.  All artwork shows these features the same colour, when it is obviously not so.   The Dupont Sky is lighter in tone than MAP Sky so why are the undersurfaces darker than the band and spinner?  And is the band and spinner Sky or some other colour since in early 1941 there was still a shortage of MAP Sky, priority went to factory production.   A pale blue is known to have been used instead, MAP Sky Blue, might that be the case here?  But what of the dark undersurfaces?  I believe, but have no evidence other than observation, that the RAF might have had the undersurfaces repainted during erection since the Dupont colour was so pale.   So two options here.  Darker repainted underneath with MAP Sky markings and grey codes or  Dupont underneath with MAP Sky Blue markings.  What might a repainted underside be finished with?  Eau-di-Nil has been postulated in the past since is a more green version of MAP Sky and was available in the right specification as for limited cockpit use by Supermarine on early Spitfires.  Some close up photographs show evidence of over spray on the radiator and cowling which is different to the usual Curtiss colour line.  
One old theory was that the underside was painted with a color that could be called "Light Gray".  If one looks at the original P-400 sent to the RAF, the underside is very light.  Then again, du Pont was not the only game in town, and as we know paint varied among the numerous companies.

As for the band appearing lighter, and I'd have to do further investigation, is it a question of appearing brighter or registering differently in B&W film.
8153_1706500016262654_896310674446376716_n.jpg
p40warhawk-WRG-0021387.jpg
Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.IA-2_zpssjyclfnk.jpg~original.jpeg
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 20th, 2018, 6:42 pm

May 19th, 2018, 3:38 pm #20

samodeldad wrote:
Mikestarmer wrote: I am pleased to see that someone other than me has noticed the different tones of the fighter Command markings and the undersurfaces.  Nick M and I have had a controversial debate about this.  Nick is adamant that the undersurfaces remained the Dupont colour.  I disagree with that.  The undersurface colours of those Tomahawks is the same tone as the code letters which are Medium Sea Grey.  The spinner and fuselage band are lighter than the undersurface.  All artwork shows these features the same colour, when it is obviously not so.   The Dupont Sky is lighter in tone than MAP Sky so why are the undersurfaces darker than the band and spinner?  And is the band and spinner Sky or some other colour since in early 1941 there was still a shortage of MAP Sky, priority went to factory production.   A pale blue is known to have been used instead, MAP Sky Blue, might that be the case here?  But what of the dark undersurfaces?  I believe, but have no evidence other than observation, that the RAF might have had the undersurfaces repainted during erection since the Dupont colour was so pale.   So two options here.  Darker repainted underneath with MAP Sky markings and grey codes or  Dupont underneath with MAP Sky Blue markings.  What might a repainted underside be finished with?  Eau-di-Nil has been postulated in the past since is a more green version of MAP Sky and was available in the right specification as for limited cockpit use by Supermarine on early Spitfires.  Some close up photographs show evidence of over spray on the radiator and cowling which is different to the usual Curtiss colour line.  
One old theory was that the underside was painted with a color that could be called "Light Gray".  If one looks at the original P-400 sent to the RAF, the underside is very light.  Then again, du Pont was not the only game in town, and as we know paint varied among the numerous companies.

As for the band appearing lighter, and I'd have to do further investigation, is it a question of appearing brighter or registering differently in B&W film.
Totally agree ! Brighter .


... great fun , eh ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share