Yellowjack Gnats - help please!

Yellowjack Gnats - help please!

June 26th, 2012, 3:56 pm #1

Straying from my usual territory, aircraft with props, I'm building the sweet little new Airfix kit of the Gnat. I'd love to finish it as a Yellowjacks a/c, but can't find much info online - I need a list of serials, and details of any extra small markings (available photos show the main features).
Also unsure about the kit instructions with regard to the cockpit and wheel wells - what colours should these be, particularly on early Gnats like the Yellowjacks ones?
Many thanks!

June 26th, 2012, 6:03 pm #2

Post your question there or research the sub-forums. The answer may already be there. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

June 27th, 2012, 1:58 pm #3

Straying from my usual territory, aircraft with props, I'm building the sweet little new Airfix kit of the Gnat. I'd love to finish it as a Yellowjacks a/c, but can't find much info online - I need a list of serials, and details of any extra small markings (available photos show the main features).
Also unsure about the kit instructions with regard to the cockpit and wheel wells - what colours should these be, particularly on early Gnats like the Yellowjacks ones?
Many thanks!
They are XR986, XR991, XR992, XR993, & XR994. There was a photo of six aircraft, which must have been the spare, but the article stated that the team flew as a five plane formation. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

June 27th, 2012, 5:32 pm #4

Many thanks!
The 9 aircraft were assigned to the team and 5 of them were used for flight display.
Serials are XR991 to XR996, XR986, XR987 and XR540.

The aircraft were painted lemon yellow, provably BS381C No.355 and with roundel blue serial.
All aircraft wore "Moon-Eyes" decal on the nose, above the nose light.

This information from Aerobatic Teams of the World by Adrian Balch.

Inside of the cockpit, including instrument panel and ejection seats were gray. Wheel wells and inside of gear covers seemed dull silver.

Hope this will be of some help.

Jun from Tokyo

June 27th, 2012, 6:17 pm #5

Many thanks!
HSers to the rescue as always...... Now to design and print myself some decals! Unless anyone has a spare set? I know of a decal sheet which includes a Yellowjacks a/c, but no point buying the whole sheet for just one set or markings! Happy to pay/swap/whatever