Yamato 1941, Super Musashi, Alternate Shinano

Yamato 1941, Super Musashi, Alternate Shinano

January 19th, 2012, 10:53 pm #1

Along with the new Tamiya Yamato kit, I've got an old Tamiya Yamato that I'd atttempted to do a backdate/upgrade on a while back and a partial new Tamiya kit that I got as a preview sample. What to do?
Well, the full new kit is being backdated to the Dec. 1941 configuration.
With the help of a cast resin copy of the superstructure, the old Tamiya kit is being converted to a fantasy super Musashi with twin 80cm main guns replacing the triple 48cm guns (the Japanese got a bad case of big barrel envy when they learned about the Dora and Gustav superguns) and the partial sample kit will become a carrier/battleship with an added flight deck aft and twin take off decks flanking the superstructure.

January 20th, 2012, 2:27 am #2

I LOVE IT !
Do carry on.

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

January 20th, 2012, 3:42 am #3

Along with the new Tamiya Yamato kit, I've got an old Tamiya Yamato that I'd atttempted to do a backdate/upgrade on a while back and a partial new Tamiya kit that I got as a preview sample. What to do?
With the help of a cast resin copy of the superstructure, the old Tamiya kit is being converted to a fantasy super Musashi with twin 80cm main guns replacing the triple 48cm guns (the Japanese got a bad case of big barrel envy when they learned about the Dora and Gustav superguns) and the partial sample kit will become a carrier/battleship with an added flight deck aft and twin take off decks flanking the superstructure.

That is sooooo cool. I love hypothetical ships. I made a how to CD from Hybridized New Jersey. Here's a carrier hybrid.

Rusty White
Flagship Models Inc.
flagshipmodels.com

January 20th, 2012, 4:57 am #4

ditto! But, thanks for sharing!!!

January 24th, 2012, 3:41 am #5

Busy bits today. Scratch-built rear deck details

Overall shot with parts loosely laid out.

Rear approach view.