Wrestling with an oldie - Blackburn Shark (1/72 Frog kit)

Wrestling with an oldie - Blackburn Shark (1/72 Frog kit)

August 12th, 2011, 11:50 am #1

Been a long time since I've posted here. You guys are posting such inspirational stuff ! I'm so slow when it comes to finishing kits . . .. .

Had heard horror stories about the wing struts on this Frog kit, but the testosterone driven half in me said "I can handle this !". Well, I should have parked the testosterone at the door and listened to good advice. This was one wrestling match from start to finish, but it is done !

Will be writing this up for the IPMS Canada magazine RT in the next little while. All interplane struts and float were scratchbuilt. Scratchbuilt canopy, detailed cockpit. Cowling and engine for the Mk. III Shark came from the spares box -- it was originally from the Matchbox Gladiator. Prop from the spares box (kit origin unknown).

Markings are 6 (BR) Squadron, RCAF, at Alliford Bay in BC, 1940-41.

Enjoy, and thanks for looking !

John

August 12th, 2011, 11:56 am #2

That does not look at all easy, but the results are spectacular! And what a cool subject!

Stuart

Ken Glass
Ken Glass

August 12th, 2011, 12:12 pm #3

Been a long time since I've posted here. You guys are posting such inspirational stuff ! I'm so slow when it comes to finishing kits . . .. .

Had heard horror stories about the wing struts on this Frog kit, but the testosterone driven half in me said "I can handle this !". Well, I should have parked the testosterone at the door and listened to good advice. This was one wrestling match from start to finish, but it is done !

Will be writing this up for the IPMS Canada magazine RT in the next little while. All interplane struts and float were scratchbuilt. Scratchbuilt canopy, detailed cockpit. Cowling and engine for the Mk. III Shark came from the spares box -- it was originally from the Matchbox Gladiator. Prop from the spares box (kit origin unknown).

John

n/t

August 12th, 2011, 12:58 pm #4

John

Great workmanship on those struts, and a flawless finish as well. Exemplary job. Thanks for posting!

August 12th, 2011, 1:25 pm #5

John

Of all of the great rebuilds you have accomplished, this takes the cake! Gorgeous finish and inspiring attention to detail. The scratchbuilt struts leave me gasping for air. Running out of superlatives pal!

Cheers, Vic

August 12th, 2011, 1:33 pm #6

John

I can barely wait 'til the article comes out. That will definitely be the first one I read when that issue of RT arrives.

I'm not a plastic kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

August 12th, 2011, 1:57 pm #7

Of all of the great rebuilds you have accomplished, this takes the cake! Gorgeous finish and inspiring attention to detail. The scratchbuilt struts leave me gasping for air. Running out of superlatives pal!

Cheers, Vic

inspiration from all your phenomenal builds and the builds of all the guys doing the great stuff on here, and if I'd only build one tenth as fast as you, I'd be considered prolific !!

Cheers . . . John

August 12th, 2011, 1:58 pm #8

John

when it is published in RT, so those of us not fortunate enough to be in IPMS Canada (Or Canada for that matter.) can try and get a copy.

As I said, beautiful, beautiful work.

Bravo

Adrian.

Steven Brown
Steven Brown

August 12th, 2011, 8:03 pm #9

John

Cripes, getting the geometry on all those parts correct, and getting the alignment even close to perfect, has earned you my utmost respect! Outstanding work!

August 12th, 2011, 8:38 pm #10

John

Wow, beautiful work, very very impressive. n/t