WOW! Hand Painting White Ensign Paint!

WOW! Hand Painting White Ensign Paint!

November 26th, 2011, 5:35 am #1

Hi Lads!

I am working on the RS Models Ki-61-II Kei and just hand painted the prop with white ensign's Japanese red primer. It went on like glass!! I was told by the vendor that it will need some gloss coat for decaling, but if the red-brown primer is any indication this is the best paint I have ever hand painted. Will post pics when the kit is done.

Cheers!
Terry Jones
Ottawa, Canada

November 26th, 2011, 10:55 pm #2

... I came close to buying an FAA Dark Slate Grey but my LHS had Humbrol 224 ...

Regards,
Adrian

November 28th, 2011, 5:43 pm #3

Days... weeks... I used Xtracolour speed dry thinner and it still was gummy for some time.

November 28th, 2011, 11:17 pm #4

I find WEM Colourcoats (which is now my default 'authentic' enamel range) dries, when sprayed, and thinned with artist's turpentine, in 24 hours, ready to be masked with Tamiya tape and over-painted.

I have used them for touch-up brush ainting but, for larger areas, since they take at least two brushed coats (ie 48 hours painting and drying time) to get a good coverage, I don't see any point in doing so.

Cheers,

Chris.

November 30th, 2011, 8:06 pm #5

When I mix old Humbrols they dry within minutes. The newer stuff is usually dry in a few hours to overnight. Even the testors small jar enamels dry in an hour or two. Not 24 hours...

December 1st, 2011, 8:30 am #6

Hi Lads!

I am working on the RS Models Ki-61-II Kei and just hand painted the prop with white ensign's Japanese red primer. It went on like glass!! I was told by the vendor that it will need some gloss coat for decaling, but if the red-brown primer is any indication this is the best paint I have ever hand painted. Will post pics when the kit is done.

Cheers!
Terry Jones
Ottawa, Canada
laquer thinner, it will be dry within minutes and by the time you've cleaned the airbrush, it can be already be masked.
David.